My Purple Cow

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
These things are really good at playing dead. Their twigs in winter look shriveled and the buds the exact opposite of fat and promising. Not that it mattered but mine used to come into spring full of little scrapes where I would feel compelled to check for green cambium about once a week to reassure myself.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Repot...
Rubbermaid assist...

Glad I did it, I was going back and forth on whether or not to repot this on this year...but it had more roots than I expected, as someone already told me earlier...

Attachments

• KIMG0127.JPG
    KIMG0127.JPG
    268.9 KB · Views: 73
  • KIMG0128.JPG
    KIMG0128.JPG
    268 KB · Views: 76
  • KIMG0129.JPG
    KIMG0129.JPG
    249.5 KB · Views: 71
  • KIMG0130.JPG
    KIMG0130.JPG
    248.3 KB · Views: 73
  • KIMG0131.JPG
    KIMG0131.JPG
    282.4 KB · Views: 76
  • KIMG0132.JPG
    KIMG0132.JPG
    204 KB · Views: 81
  • KIMG0133.JPG
    KIMG0133.JPG
    266.4 KB · Views: 81
  • KIMG0134.JPG
    KIMG0134.JPG
    218.2 KB · Views: 85
  • KIMG0135.JPG
    KIMG0135.JPG
    228.7 KB · Views: 82

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looking good dude !
And it will only improve!
I finaly found two small ones to grow out but repot has to wait tough it is freezing outside this week so protected them in the shed now

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Oh hell yeah! That’s a better nebari than anyone would expect to find on a nursery grown crape! Nice one! And good job on the pruning I think.
Looking good dude !
And it will only improve!
I finaly found two small ones to grow out but repot has to wait tough it is freezing outside this week so protected them in the shed now
Thanks guys!
Damn, this thing is coming along nicely, I like it! Those cuts look to be healing well too! This isn't waking up yet is it?
Thanks!
I didn't wake up super early like some of my others...buds are now swelling though ... it's weird cuz they're all in the same spot, in the garage...but when I move, I'm gonna try to stop using an attached garage for over wintering, I'd like to keep them colder...
The cuts on the trunk, the left one is very close to fully healed, the right needs some persuasion.
The subtrunk's chops from last year died back a bit, so when the live veins swell a bit, I'll nibble them all back and start healing them.

Last edited:

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Decided to take a second attempt at wiring my young shoots on this guy...
I tried one branch last year, was shocked at how easily it popped off at the shoulder...
Was extra careful this time, and I got some movement into them without any damage, I think!
Trimmed it a bit too...ran out of small wire....well I didn't run out, but the rest is packed away for the move next week.

KIMG0937.JPGKIMG0938.JPGKIMG0939.JPG
KIMG0937.JPGKIMG0938.JPGKIMG0939.JPG

theta

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looking good! I haven't gotten nearly as much growth this spring as I thought I would on mine.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Looking good! I haven't gotten nearly as much growth this spring as I thought I would on mine.
Mine got a head start, being over wintered in the attached garage... staying outdoors from now on...don't like early bud burst, two stepping in/out...might give my tree a slightly longer time to grow, but it's not worth the trouble.
Thanks!

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
It grew after the wiring...I gave it a slight haircut in June...
Now its growing again...so I took the wires off and cut it back.
Unless it turns into a bush again, I probably won't do much else this year, to it.
I will probably dremel away the main chops next repotting season....can't wait to see the roots!

Even though I wired the branches out long...and cut them back hard...they all have their primary bend and change of direction.
Please excuse the heavy Daconil residue...?

Wires off:
20180703_193452.jpg20180703_193516.jpg20180703_193504.jpg20180703_193528.jpg

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
....and cut back:
20180703_194837.jpg20180703_194820.jpg20180703_194851.jpg20180703_194938.jpg

In this picture the far right subtrunk blocks the thinner one with more movement behind it...
Same story with the opposite view, the small one runs parallel the this one...
It also gives too much visual weight to the right half of the tree...
I may remove it next spring...we'll see.
20180703_194926.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looking good. Although I think I would have let it run for the full season to gather strength due to the root work, I'm sure it will do fine and you probably will get a jump on development.
I know you had some issues with the two step and winterizing last year, but how do you plan to winterize this one. I know different subspecies are less cold-tolerant and most of the varieties we get are likely hybrids, so it can be tricky to figure out what they can take.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Looking good. Although I think I would have let it run for the full season to gather strength due to the root work, I'm sure it will do fine and you probably will get a jump on development.
I know you had some issues with the two step and winterizing last year, but how do you plan to winterize this one. I know different subspecies are less cold-tolerant and most of the varieties we get are likely hybrids, so it can be tricky to figure out what they can take.
I think I'm gonna place them on the northernmost side of my house, which is a covered front porch and I'll make a sort of wind-break or wooden shelter of sorts.
On this one and the more potentially tender ones, I'll put them into a plastic bin (with drain holes) and bury them in mulch, up to the first branch.....and hope for the best!
I think they'll be fine.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
And as to the first part of your comment, I agree that this amount of work is aggressive.
But I was blown away by how many roots it grew after the first repotting, and its been healthy this year.
I decided a while back to go a little harder on some of my stuff, I tend to play it safe usually, but I did take a few risks this year...including my big elm air layer after major root work....killing off half of one of my yews for future deadwood along with wiring and cutback....bare rooting another bigger yew for the first time since previous owner collected it 3 years ago along with killing off part for future dead wood...
Also, I did a major repotting to my J Hornbeam along with a big cut back...
Heavy root work on my K Hormbeam as well, first time for it...
Heavy cut back and major root reduction on my Ilex Red Beauty....
Heavy root reduction and trunk chop on a trident....
Barerooted my large nursery juniper to the shock and horror of HBR'ers across the fruited plains...
This list goes on...
Basically I told myself that I'm either gonna start building good nebari and root systems on my trees, in a good substrate...or they will die. So far everything mentioned is doing well!
(I did lose my little KH, which maybe was my ugliest tree...but that's the only one that died from over working this year.)

Top Bottom