My Purple Cow

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@just.wing.it, how are you overwintering this?

...this will be my first winter with the the two I have

Also, what are your thoughts on flush cuts with them rather than concave? I heard on some s.cal bonsai video that flush is best for healing cuts, haven’t seen elsewhere..?

Also also, did you leave “nubs” as standard precaution, or is this something necessary (ala mugo) to prevent some undesired dieback associated with the genus?

Thanks much for any thoughts.
Lookin’ good man

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
@just.wing.it, how are you overwintering this?

...this will be my first winter with the the two I have

Also, what are your thoughts on flush cuts with them rather than concave? I heard on some s.cal bonsai video that flush is best for healing cuts, haven’t seen elsewhere..?

Also also, did you leave “nubs” as standard precaution, or is this something necessary (ala mugo) to prevent some undesired dieback associated with the genus?

Thanks much for any thoughts.
Lookin’ good man
Thanks!
I keep it outside until we routinely get below freezing, then it comes into the garage, which is anywhere between 40-20 F. I just brought it in yesterday.

I'm still working on healing the 2 larger cut marks from the initial pruning...they are flat and so far have healed well. There is at least one on the tree that healed up totally and is already almost unnoticeable. They heal very well. Cut paste is your friend.

I think the reason I got so much die back on my main trunks is because I did that chopping too early that season...and I did make them long just in case.
Overall, everything is fine though and I should be able to dremel my way to good tapering transitions there.

Gonna wait as long as possible this coming spring, before repotting and cutting back.
I'm anxious to see how my Ebihara roots turned out after one year!

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks!
I keep it outside until we routinely get below freezing, then it comes into the garage, which is anywhere between 40-20 F. I just brought it in yesterday.

I'm still working on healing the 2 larger cut marks from the initial pruning...they are flat and so far have healed well. There is at least one on the tree that healed up totally and is already almost unnoticeable. They heal very well. Cut paste is your friend.

I think the reason I got so much die back on my main trunks is because I did that chopping too early that season...and I did make them long just in case.
Overall, everything is fine though and I should be able to dremel my way to good tapering transitions there.

Gonna wait as long as possible this coming spring, before repotting and cutting back.
I'm anxious to see how my Ebihara roots turned out after one year!

I appreciate your insight. Following your reply you’ve got me thinking to do some more digging -will be bringing my two out of the mulch and into the garage, I suppose “sub-tropical” is the real operative.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I appreciate your insight. Following your reply you’ve got me thinking to do some more digging -will be bringing my two out of the mulch and into the garage, I suppose “sub-tropical” is the real operative.
That's my thought as well...
But burried in mulch should be fine too.
This year my trees that are outdoors are on low benches blocked on 3 sides, under my north facing rear deck.
Even though all that, I won't say I'm not a little concerned because with few exceptions, I've mulched mine until this year.
However, this tree specifically has always spent winter in the garage.
My new garage is colder than my last house's garage, so that's a plus.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@TN_Jim
How cold do you usually get down there in Nash?

We’ll get single digits and hang out around 28-30*F. However, where it gets sketchy for us is the wild swings -and specifically how this can break dormancy.

For example, I honestly would not really blink if it was suddenly 80* on Monday and back around 17* on Friday...and such extremes were repetitive

So while the day it gets around ten degrees, is likely not ideal for them (crepe myrtle)...my thoughts are that perhaps the buffer from extremes afforded by the garage, may be just as important in the long run.
All others keeping outside mulched against West-side of house.

theta

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is coming along nice! Mine just started waking up about a week or 2 ago. I kind of wish I re-potted it with a board under it this spring, but didn't get a chance to - had too much going on, spring just came out of nowhere for me.

What's the plan this season? Man, dieback on these are no joke. It's weird, I've cut these for so long in the landscape and have never seen any dieback, ever. But in a pot they die back a lot.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
This is coming along nice! Mine just started waking up about a week or 2 ago. I kind of wish I re-potted it with a board under it this spring, but didn't get a chance to - had too much going on, spring just came out of nowhere for me.

What's the plan this season? Man, dieback on these are no joke. It's weird, I've cut these for so long in the landscape and have never seen any dieback, ever. But in a pot they die back a lot.
Thanks!
This one is my last tree that is still asleep this year....with my BC a close second, but I saw some buds on that yesterday.
All the others are opening buds now, or at least swelling.
Once I see the buds swelling, my plan is to first trim it back, then Dremel away the dead stubs and seal the wounds, then reply and see what I got after one season of Ebihara Method.....can't wait!
I'll be sure to take pics and update!

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I've found the most difficult thing about this tree, for me, is wiring the green shoots.

They snap off at the shoulder very easily, gotta have a very gentle touch with crapes.

theta

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, the roots on your last repot looked great. I know on mine, I never really was able to get them down to a single layer of roots, so I'm sure on my next repot I'll be having to work them pretty hard again. I hear ya on the branches, I snapped a branch on mine too the other day.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Well.....I dont really know what to say about this....other than, FINALLY!
Almost June now.....and my purple cow is just waking up....
Any thoughts?....I dunno.....its weird.

I'm going to repot and cut back soon, probably this weekend, if buds keep appearing.
20190521_183712.jpg20190521_183757.jpg20190521_183803.jpg

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Any thoughts
They're a little late anyways but I've had container crapes not wake up until June here. Two winters ago, I didn't protect anything, 2017 wasn't a good year for me personally... I just assumed it was the actual winter we had here; ended up losing a couple too.

This past winter though I protected everything, they woke up a little later which is normal but mostly on par with everything else.

Haha I bet you've been scratching the hell out of it making sure it was still alive:p

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
They're a little late anyways but I've had container crapes not wake up until June here. Two winters ago, I didn't protect anything, 2017 wasn't a good year for me personally... I just assumed it was the actual winter we had here; ended up losing a couple too.

This past winter though I protected everything, they woke up a little later which is normal but mostly on par with everything else.

Haha I bet you've been scratching the hell out of it making sure it was still alive:p
Lol! A few times with the scratching, yeah haha!

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Mine woke up a couple of weeks ago and are starting to push growth now. That said I’m certain we’ve had some much warmer/hotter spells than you’ve seen this far.
Also, I’ve noticed that at nurseries that dwarf varieties (those max 5-8’) tend to leaf out later than others; however, while your PC is not the hugest variety, not sure it would be in dwarf category.
...I wonder if this observation is because the dwarfs are in smaller nursery cans?
Either way, that’s a sure relief

theta

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good news it finally woke up! Mine woke up early down here in GA, but even still Crapes always freak me out with their dried out, brown buds in spring. They always look dead and then out of nowhere, boom, they push new growth.

Do you have any plans on transitioning the thick parts that were cut? That's where mine is too, there's thick branches that I need to taper but also other places working on ramification

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Good news it finally woke up! Mine woke up early down here in GA, but even still Crapes always freak me out with their dried out, brown buds in spring. They always look dead and then out of nowhere, boom, they push new growth.

Do you have any plans on transitioning the thick parts that were cut? That's where mine is too, there's thick branches that I need to taper but also other places working on ramification
Yeah, I'm planning on using a dremel tool to grind away the dead parts of the stumps.
Hope to do it this weekend before repotting.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've had one not wake up until mid June before. So not totally unheard of. This one is looking pretty sweet.

I've started working the roots on mine in the summer. They don't seem to mind at all and it gives me more time in the spring for other stuff.

Top Bottom