My Purple Cow

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Good to hear!

Whaaaaaaat!?!?!

Haha. Yeah, I've chopped and root pruned fully leafed out trees in June and July and they do fine. Zach Smith calls them super rooters which I think is pretty accurate and I expect that has something to do with it. I know mine fill a pot with roots in less than a year.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Haha. Yeah, I've chopped and root pruned fully leafed out trees in June and July and they do fine. Zach Smith calls them super rooters which I think is pretty accurate and I expect that has something to do with it. I know mine fill a pot with roots in less than a year.
Wow!
I can't waot too see the root development this time around...one full year anchored to the Rubbermaid plastic.....?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Sorry, the pics are a bit lacking, I was in a rush, as usual.
Ended up not using the dremel, all hand tools, took it back to live wood on all cuts.

There was some die back that I didn't expect, from the higher part of the old canopy.

The root growth was good.....but I expected more....no worries though.

The soil mix last year was a finer cut of lava an pumice.
This year its a chunkier cut of lava, pumice and Doug Fir bark....topped with chopped sphagnum.

Switched to drum pot.....just wanted to use it.

The plastic is still in place and there is noticeable swelling in the base, happy with that.

Here's to another year of bonsai!

Tried to correct the tilt a bit too.
20190525_135810.jpg20190525_135857.jpg20190525_135920.jpg20190525_135929.jpg20190525_135937.jpg20190525_145932.jpg20190525_145957.jpg20190525_150026.jpg20190525_150034.jpg20190525_150045.jpg

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Damnnnn, roots and nebari lookin gooood!!! This thing is going to be killer!

I hope the one I got from @VAFisher looks this good when it's time to repot, I bet it will!

I've been keeping a coco fiber mat over the soil surface to help keep it saturated longer. It's helping, I've seen a lot of fine surface roots growing since putting it on.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Damnnnn, roots and nebari lookin gooood!!! This thing is going to be killer!

I hope the one I got from @VAFisher looks this good when it's time to repot, I bet it will!

I've been keeping a coco fiber mat over the soil surface to help keep it saturated longer. It's helping, I've seen a lot of fine surface roots growing since putting it on.
Yeah, I've often considered the coco fiber mats, especially when birds dig in my sphagnum....
And thanks!

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Been cut back once already this year, this is the second flush.
Peeled the thumb gum off today for a peek....had some serious die back on a couple places, will require Dremel work.
Not too happy about the die back, but hopefully it will lead to future interest.
20190803_082432.jpg20190803_082440.jpg20190803_082451.jpg20190803_082513.jpg

theta

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The dieback is a lesson I'm learning as well, unfortunately.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@just.wing.it & @theta
What do you think the dieback is from, just the old cuts dying back further down the trunk?

Or are you guys noticing anything with the root systems that could parallel above ground cuts?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
@just.wing.it & @theta
What do you think the dieback is from, just the old cuts dying back further down the trunk?

Or are you guys noticing anything with the root systems that could parallel above ground cuts?
I'll keep that in mind when I repot again, and look for dead roots.
This year, when I repotted, I also re-cut all the original chops and sealed with thumb gum.

Got no healing on the thunk chops, but some on the lower wound where in re-cut the edge....not as much as I hoped by now.

It does appear on mine, that a section has died all the way down might need a big box to run in for a few years.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just picked up another crape bonsai from VAFisher (that'll be 2 "proper" bonsai I have now) and just wondering if there's anything in particular I should look out for. The first one I got from him only needs/needed a little tweaking and maintenance, but I'm thinking about a possibly substantial redesign for my new one. There may be some major hacking in it's future:eek:

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Just picked up another crape bonsai from VAFisher (that'll be 2 "proper" bonsai I have now) and just wondering if there's anything in particular I should look out for. The first one I got from him only needs/needed a little tweaking and maintenance, but I'm thinking about a possibly substantial redesign for my new one. There may be some major hacking in it's future:eek:
When I did the original hacking on mine, it had 4 main trunks and I removed 2.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Stunning... thanks! I think they might be to much work up with way. Matt Smith said he thinks I looking at the species wrong. But I was so distracted by that exfoliating bark when I seen them. Even in bloom their bark drew me in.

theta

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@cbroad

For me, its just heavy dieback after cutting branches. More than I expected.

Top Bottom