My red Chinese Elm seedling...

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I frequently saw Catlin elms with nice red fall color like that after spells of chilly weather when I lived in Orlando.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Pretty nice for elm fall color. How do those variegated varieties stand up to normal elms for diseases? I know that some variegated plants are not so hardy.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Pretty nice for elm fall color. How do those variegated varieties stand up to normal elms for diseases? I know that some variegated plants are not so hardy.

They seem to me to be every bit as hardy as any other type of Chinese elm...

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey, @Bonsai Nut that must be an elm in your avatar, the way its growing so fast!
BTW, Did you create that avatar yourself?
CW

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Yes, I impulsively bought some elms on clearance... In other news, they are 'true green' (ulmus parvifolia) which is a variety that was developed to be closer to "evergreen" than the species. I took this pic at night and the color washed out but you can see a nice orange and they did have more red than it appears in the pic. I wanted to post this in case someone is still tracking fall coloration of elms.

IMG_20190114_185928333.jpg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Yes, I impulsively bought some elms on clearance... In other news, they are 'true green' (ulmus parvifolia) which is a variety that was developed to be closer to "evergreen" than the species. I took this pic at night and the color washed out but you can see a nice orange and they did have more red than it appears in the pic. I wanted to post this in case someone is still tracking fall coloration of elms.

View attachment 223568
This is exactly the same color I get for the leaves of my Chinese elms in the winter.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I didn't want to oversell this post, but I have an interesting Chinese elm seedling. About 18 months ago I was gifted some seeds from a variegated Chinese elm in Ohio, and one of my seedlings, in addition to showing leaf variegation, showed amazing red color in the Fall / Winter.

I am hoping the characteristic holds true in future years. I have tons of Chinese elms sitting right next to this one - and none of them show bright red in the Fall.

View attachment 127937

Shoot I wish I had taken a picture. I just defoliated my forest Chinese elm last night and it also had very red leaves on one of the trees. I happened to be defoliating at our weekly PBS meeting and several other members commented on how red it was. Interesting.

DayDrunk

Yamadori
Reaction score
If anybody’s got a cutting or two (rooted or not) of these red leaf elms I’d gladly throw a few Miller Lites your way for them. 🍻

Top Bottom