My red Chinese Elm seedling...

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I didn't want to oversell this post, but I have an interesting Chinese elm seedling. About 18 months ago I was gifted some seeds from a variegated Chinese elm in Ohio, and one of my seedlings, in addition to showing leaf variegation, showed amazing red color in the Fall / Winter.

I am hoping the characteristic holds true in future years. I have tons of Chinese elms sitting right next to this one - and none of them show bright red in the Fall.

red-elm.jpg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
And then there were three... I propagated two cuttings off the parent to see if I got Fall color. They are the most colorful thing on my bench right now! I've never seen a Chinese elm that looks like these!

rainbow-elm.jpg

They are sitting on the bench right next to about 10 cuttings from other variegated elm cultivars - none of which are showing any fall color.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
And then there were three... I propagated two cuttings off the parent to see if I got Fall color. They are the most colorful thing on my bench right now! I've never seen a Chinese elm that looks like these!

View attachment 168179

They are sitting on the bench right next to about 10 cuttings from other variegated elm cultivars - none of which are showing any fall color.

Interesting! It may not impress those with an actual fall. But color me impressed!

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have some Chinese elm seedlings (about a dozen) that I purchased from Matt Ouwinga a couple of years ago. A few of them produced reddish fall colors this year but the majority were yellow.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot

View attachment 168179

I am a huge fan of looking for varietal changes and elms are one of the best in this regard. I will be anxious to see how this does going forward!

Dan92119

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I wish my Chinese elms had fall color. Other than a few yellow leaves occasionally, my trees stay green year around. They have never even been close to bare.

I am growing some seeds from Chinese elms near me. Would love to have something new and unusual pop up!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Last winter my collected Chinese elm kept its leaves. Maybe this year it will go dormant and loose its leaves. I'll be happy if the leaves turn yellow let alone red color lol. Hopefully the colors on your tree just get better through the years

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I didn't want to oversell this post, but I have an interesting Chinese elm seedling. About 18 months ago I was gifted some seeds from a variegated Chinese elm in Ohio, and one of my seedlings, in addition to showing leaf variegation, showed amazing red color in the Fall / Winter.

I am hoping the characteristic holds true in future years. I have tons of Chinese elms sitting right next to this one - and none of them show bright red in the Fall.

View attachment 127937
Have you taken many cuttings of elms? I have one in ground id like to take cuttings from. I have an automatic mist system that can mist whatever duration and length i want.

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Yes! You showed me them. I am still waiting for a cutting :)
Sure. Remind me later this year. When is the best time to do cuttings?
Hey @Si Nguyen great to see you on here! Hope things are going well!
Hi Milehigh. Great to see you here too. I have been too busy. Not doing much bonsai lately. Cheers!

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I have a seedling that I pulled up in a parking lot and it, too, has red leaves. All of the rest have yellow leaves, as does the mother plant. The new leaves, when the first push from the bud are reddish also.

John

Top Bottom