My religiousa chicken box...

TooCoys

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I did it. Started my experiment with these tiny ass seeds! If all of these sprout I don’t know what I’ll do with them all.

I’m wondering if I should leave them inside to germinate or put them outside. It was 94 today and I would think that outside they would bake. Inside is always around 72-75 degrees.

AC20E342-1305-47D6-B8F1-066099FD11EB.jpeg 73563D68-61A5-4C06-8C70-0BA92F08D231.jpeg
16A22B0F-C783-46ED-8D6C-FBD69EB65533.jpeg 57CAF96A-0997-4898-B0E1-DE1421F34904.jpeg

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
It's usually not the best idea to have fertilizer in seedling soil. It will burn them alive, even indoors.
Seedlings are fragile and their first set of leaves usually contain enough nutrients for the first month or so. After that, they can rely on the contents of the potting soil for another 6-20 weeks. Then they'll maybe need ferrilizer.

I'm seeing those yellow nutrient pellets, and I want you to succeed. But I'm worried those pellets are going to kill off some, maybe all seedlings that pop up. Right now, you could still fix it.

As for domes outdoors.. They become ovens. There's just a hand full of plants that benefit from domes, mostly tropicals. I use them to keep the birds and mice at bay, but with a huge mesh screen at the top for good ventilation.
For humidity reasons.. I water and ventilate. Otherwise fungi will eat everything alive. My citrus seedlings all have failed because I left the dome on. Don't make the same mistake i did ;-)

Good luck!

TooCoys

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Ah well... if it doesn’t work at least I still have the chicken box.

All I had was that miracle grow potting mix, so that what I used.

TooCoys

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Well unless this is a weed, it would appear that I have at least one F. Religiosa that sprouted. Nothing was happening, so I stuck the chicken box in the storage area of our RV two days ago. It's a little warmer in there so I figured it wouldn't hurt. (and the kitchen table was getting cluttered.) Anyway, I checked on it before heading to work today and found this. There is a drop of water on the two leaves but it's definitely a sprout. Hopefully more start coming up. This one has a stem that appears to be finer than a hair.

Attachments

• IMG_5095.JPG
    IMG_5095.JPG
    392.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5096.JPG
    IMG_5096.JPG
    368.7 KB · Views: 5
Top Bottom