My sad day

Bonsai901

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
After suffering a major heart-attack in Feb. my trees were neglected for over a month, now I think it's safe to say I lost all but one young Crepe Myrtle :(
None were show worthy or extremely valuable, but they were mine nonetheless.
Now I am struggling to decide whether to start again or throw in the towel for good.

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Sorry to hear that my friend, hopefully you are doing better now! Keep going, it is the process of doing bonsai that is enjoyable!

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My experience has been that bonsai people are very generous. I bet if your closest club knew your situation you would benefit from all kinds of donations to get your benches repopulated.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
After suffering a major heart-attack in Feb. my trees were neglected for over a month, now I think it's safe to say I lost all but one young Crepe Myrtle :(
Now I am struggling to decide whether to start again or throw in the towel for good.
Recovery is typically slow and energy can be in short supply. It is normal to feel pretty discouraged when life knocks the stuffing out of our daily norm. Take the things that you can enjoy and keep you active looking forward to the next step. They will aid in your recovery. Because i love the process , i would start simply and do what i could with whatever was at hand. For this time of year i would pick out a larger Azalea at a local nursery, enjoy the flowers and start to work it after blooming!
What type of tree's Do you like working on best?

Let those around you help and get the most out of the little things for now. Best wishes.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
So sorry to hear, hopefully you are on the mend. Maybe just get one or two to get you back into the hobby slowly.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sorry to hear that. Like others say, do what you like doing. If it's a small potted tree, just enjoy it.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’ve heard the Doctor say “Adair, you have cancer.”

Twice!

Each time I’ve been able to recover.

It’s just made me realize that if I want to enjoy my life-long hobby to the fullest, I need to do it NOW!

Do what you love. God’s given you a second chance!

Nanuk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
You are still young, compared to me anyways. I'm guessing that the heart problem is fixed and you are on your way.
Take your time and if bonsai is what you love then by all means get back into it.
Life is short, live it to the fullest.

At least your crepe myrtle lived. I would take that as a sign.

Best of luck to you.

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Glad that you are ok and on the mend. Better than the other way around, you can get some more trees but you can't be replaced.
Do what you enjoy and what makes you happy!

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sounds like time to tree shop to me! Great excuse for a tree and to train a friend to help when you need a backup. Much luck with your recovery

Brent

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

Sorry to hear about your health issues, but... each day should be fun and fulfilling. If you find it fulfilling to work with trees and develop bonsai - rock on!

And buy an automatic sprinkler :)

Not going to go into the details, but 20 years ago I had a private tragedy where my trees became a very low priority for over 6 months. Few survived. It's ok... life happens. The ones that survived just became that much more special to me! :) I also learned that had I bought an automatic sprinkler beforehand, the survival rate might have been closer to 90%. But I'm not going to beat myself up over it.

If you consider bonsai a journey instead of a destination, it's all good. Just make sure you are having fun!

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry about the heart attack, but as others have said, God allowed you to stay around for a while longer. I am sure some life style changes have come along with it, but Bonsai would not be a problem. Being in Memphis, Brussels is just across the street. Go find some of their gold nuggets in the corner, back of the bench and get a couple new trees and treat like they are Gold. Keep your mind busy and yeah ..... follow the Doctors orders ...

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
zone 7b!

I think you should invest a decent amount of money into 1 tree. a nice bald cypress. If anything happens to you health wise you just make sure that cypress gets submerged into a tub of water. And when you are well again, there it is waiting for you. Some say say BC get stunted by submerging yaddah yaddah, maybe they .. probably they do. but theyll live/grow just fine.
I would have other things on my mind in your position, hell I already wonder if this hobby is distracting me from real life now. But, just one tree can't hurt. And if you really like it, get a second third fourth

David Nelams

Seedling
Reaction score
zone 7b!

I think you should invest a decent amount of money into 1 tree. a nice bald cypress. If anything happens to you health wise you just make sure that cypress gets submerged into a tub of water. And when you are well again, there it is waiting for you. Some say say BC get stunted by submerging yaddah yaddah, maybe they .. probably they do. but theyll live/grow just fine.
I would have other things on my mind in your position, hell I already wonder if this hobby is distracting me from real life now. But, just one tree can't hurt. And if you really like it, get a second third fourth
I totally agree!!
Sorry to hear about your health issues, but... each day should be fun and fulfilling. If you find it fulfilling to work with trees and develop bonsai - rock on!

And buy an automatic sprinkler :)

Not going to go into the details, but 20 years ago I had a private tragedy where my trees became a very low priority for over 6 months. Few survived. It's ok... life happens. The ones that survived just became that much more special to me! :) I also learned that had I bought an automatic sprinkler beforehand, the survival rate might have been closer to 90%. But I'm not going to beat myself up over it.

If you consider bonsai a journey instead of a destination, it's all good. Just make sure you are having fun!
I have liver and bone cancer,I also harvest Bald Cypress. I got real sick last February after I harvested a 25ft last year. I cut it down to about 2 1/2ft, put it in a 6”deep tub,placed it in a small goldfish pond in my yard and it’s been growing like crazy!! Hasn’t stunted it’s growth at all. Super rigorous trees,damn near impossible to kill..lol (good for me), I’m hoping to get them into trays this year,that is just as soon as I get better but until then they’re fine.

David Nelams

Seedling
Reaction score
Bonsai901 I’m sorry to hear about your Heart problems, I sure hope you’re doing better!! I’ve been batting cancer for some time now and I definitely feel your pain. I also lost several trees,like y’all said,none were show worthy or worth anything but my sweat was in those pots!! The few I have left are super special to me, I hope to keep those going. Unfortunately my cancer spread into my arm bones and it’s hard to move my right arm but I’m not gonna give up my hobby!! Going from Lafayette to New Orleans every month gives me a chance to watch and observe how the BC’s grow in the marshy swamps off hwy90. I get inspired every visit I make..lol..living here in youngsville all my life gives me a unique look at how they grow in nature!!
I pray everything goes well for you and your family!! Y’all have a good night...pooyie dats sum purrty trees mai yeah ???

Last edited by a moderator:

AaronG

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I just wanted to add a note of encouragement along with all the others. The bonsai was not the most important part of your story. You were. Your knowledge that you have gained, and friendships that you have made were saved because you are still living. Today, I listened to a someone talk about happiness, and they reminded me that it is not about the what, it is about the who. It's not about things we acquire, it is about relationships we make. And I'm betting you have made some through bonsai. If you haven't, now is a great time to start because those memories survive heart attacks and those moments can beat cancer all day long. Your help may encourage someone else to get started or continue instead of quitting. Or to join a local club and make new friends. And that may be one of the most important bonsai seeds you'll ever plant.

Top Bottom