My Schefflera needs help....

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I've had this little tree for probably 6 or so months, and ever since I got it, it has not put out any growth. It hardly has any growth on it. It is severely rootbound, as I see roots poking through the bottom of the pot. I want to maybe repot it, and I was also wondering if anyone else had any advice or criticism toward this tree. Please, be as drastic as you feel necessary. This tree just does not appear to be growing at all. And maybe it is due to the lack of room to grow. Should I repot it? Also, the rock it is planted "over" (it really goes through it) is looking rather bad. It is a red lava rock, but it appears white and old looking. Well, here is the tree:

012-4.jpg

011-6.jpg

014-1.jpg

Thanks all!

Ryan

P.S. I hope it's a tropical......:confused:

Bob O

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Ryan,
Yes this is a tropical plant & can make great banyan style bonsai. This one would benifit by getting outside in the heat & sun. You should repot it, this is the best time of the year for repotting tropicals. If you can't repot it will need some bonsai soil added & worked into the existing soil & roots.
when these tasks are done you should feed it with any balanced fertilizer, follow the directions on the packageing. I have a number of these & they are very robust when given the correct care. They need lots of watering when kept in the full sun.

Hope this helps,

Bob O

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thank you! I did repot the tree today into a deeper and wider pot. Here it is:

004-16.jpg

005-16.jpg

006-13.jpg

Ryan

Bob O

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Remember to keep it outdoors with plenty of sun. You have it in a much larger volume of soil now, so be careful of how wet you keep it at this point, with very little foliage it won't transpire moisture very rapidly so the soil will stay wet longer. Let it go almost dry between waterings. When you see new leaves forming go ahead & fertilize it following instructions on the package.

Bob O

Top Bottom