My seedling is GONE!! Seriously, who gets robbed by squirrels. ME!!

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
A BB gun is okay if you spend your days rocking on the porch or veranda playing your banjo Appalachian style,but surely a solution 24/7 can be mustered with a bit of old lumber and some woven polymer.

The Arbor with shade cloth or fruit net,one could even use chicken wire or similar to clothe the timber frame,could be painted green perhaps?

Surely less of a mammoth undertaking than volunteering as the neighborhood verminator.

If your interest in Bonsai waned it could double as an aviary.

Boy scouts could lash something together with some old twine and bamboo.

For that extra frisson you could use hemp.

Last edited:

Kirk

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
A BB gun is okay if you spend your days rocking on the porch or veranda playing your banjo Appalachian style/QUOTE]

"He got a real pretty mouth ain't he?"

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
We have squirrels everywhere in our back yard. Most of my D-trees are under the shade of a giant oak tree, so acorns are in good supply. They've also figured out that they're a little quicker than the dog, but she will still give a good chase.

Honestly, the cakes I use (PlantTone) keep them away. I've noticed I have a few problems with the trees that don't have them, but on balance, anytime I have cakes on the soil, I don't have squirrels.

Oh, and...use big trees...

Last edited:

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Great video...gives new meaning to the name ... "Rocky the flying squirrel"

DaveG

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3Ya6z-NlDo&NR=1

that what I use. It relocates them into the neighbor's yard

I'd feel worse about this video if not for the fact that I know squirrels would be doing this kind of thing to us non-stop if they could.

A bigger version might also be good for making raccoons and possums think twice about raiding the garbage.

And for added fun, target the open window of the house of a grouchy neighbor. Just make sure they never catch you doing it.

Bob O

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Over the years I have had my share of damage from the tree rats too. Even had tiny mame go missing, pot & all.
These two little guys keep the rodents in my yard on the alert. So far this year the take is six.

I would post some pics of them with trophy in mouth but when I did a few years ago I got threats from others about killing my dogs.

Go figure.

Bob O

Attachments

• IMG_0139.jpg
    IMG_0139.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 15

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
So far hot sauce with cayenne pepper is working for me. I use it on my fert cakes -- the little blaggards left them alone after a dose or two.

Mothballs also seem to bother them, tho the jury is still out on that one.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Threats...??? Seriously??? It's not like you told the dog to go hunt... it's just doing what comes naturally. geeze... if I ever got threats for the fact that my dog hunts - also known as protecting her territory - I'd be livid. I'd also invite them to take their best shot, after letting them know I'd take them out before they got a chance to kill my dog.

She knows there are certain things she can't mess with... got on her case for chasing deer and it stopped. So you can have a herd of deer 20 feet away from her and she won't move.

Cute dogs btw... :D

V

somegeek

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would post some pics of them with trophy in mouth but when I did a few years ago I got threats from others about killing my dogs.

Go figure.

Bob O

Gotta love what the perceived anonymity of the internet does to some people. I imagine if they heard your story face to face, they'd say something different. /morons

Bob O

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Threats...??? Seriously??? It's not like you told the dog to go hunt... it's just doing what comes naturally. geeze... if I ever got threats for the fact that my dog hunts - also known as protecting her territory - I'd be livid. I'd also invite them to take their best shot, after letting them know I'd take them out before they got a chance to kill my dog.

She knows there are certain things she can't mess with... got on her case for chasing deer and it stopped. So you can have a herd of deer 20 feet away from her and she won't move.

Cute dogs btw... :D

V

This was on the old bT & stated by a regular poster. Glad he is a couple days drive from me. Yes it had me upset but I ignored the comment as I didn't want to spur him on. Some people have no common sense.
I love my little guys, they do help keep the vermin out of my trees, they got two voles this past week. :)

Bob O

Bob O

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Gotta love what the perceived anonymity of the internet does to some people. I imagine if they heard your story face to face, they'd say something different. /morons

Thanks Geek. I am sure you are right. Common sense isn't so common anymore. Civility and manners seem to be a rarity these days as well.

Bob O

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This was on the old bT & stated by a regular poster. Glad he is a couple days drive from me. Yes it had me upset but I ignored the comment as I didn't want to spur him on. Some people have no common sense.
I love my little guys, they do help keep the vermin out of my trees, they got two voles this past week. :)

Bob O

Well you are a better person than I am... :D I won't even bother to mumble what I am thinking...lol It's not nice. lol

Glad they keep your trees safe. :D

V

flor1

Shohin
Reaction score
A 22 works great after the first 2 or 3 the rest seem to get the message. But I live in the country and can do this without complaints.

xghostx

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Has anyone ever tried deer scram around their bonsai? If you don't have a watch dog or red rider and you do have a heart. I do not have the later.

susieq14114

Yamadori
Reaction score
I live in the remains of a 125 year old pecan grove...we're lousy with the little buggers and I declared war on them 30 years ago, with a Daisy Powerline pellet rifle. I just kill them until the damage to my trees stops. Then we live in peace for about 3 years, then I need to thin out the population again, til the damage stops, etc....

An old friend of mine from years ago in bonsai, lived in one of those upscale neighborhoods where it's declared a sanctuary, so he couldn't shoot them like I do. He devised a seriously good way to get rid of them....a rat trap baited with peanut butter. The trap was not in full view of the neighbors and he was careful to take a garbage bag with him, out into his yard to empty and reset the trap. He swore by this method.

In the last 30 + years, I have probably killed more than 500 of the little buggers.....they just keep coming. So, the war goes on. I use a Feinwerkbau 124 German air rifle these days and hubby just bought a nice Gammo with a great scope on it. If squirrels were an endangered species, I would try to find another way, but they breed like rabbits. No danger of them going extinct because of me....

Top Bottom