My seedling is GONE!! Seriously, who gets robbed by squirrels. ME!!

gottrees

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hey all,
I need protection. I have a mob syndicate of squirrels running their operation out of my backyard. When I moved into the house 2 yrs ago, the squirrels immediately came to our door expecting large sums of peanuts in payment for protection (previous owners fed them). They would seriously come and sit in front of the screen door and wait (they didn't even care if our cats were there):confused:. We refused to pay so they started attacking our tomatoes and discarding them. We didnt get to eat any :mad: (well Im not that :mad: since I dont like tomatoes). Fast forward to 1.5mons ago, I go outside to find that my korean hornbeam cuttings had been knocked over. I was pissed. I told my wife I was getting a BB gun and taking out any squirrel that came near my bonsai table.:mad:
TODAY!! I go out to water my trees and I find that an american elm seedling that I planted in the ground last week is gone!!! Seriously,,,, nowhere to be found :confused:. I'm sure the little bastard literally took it home because they ran the birds out of their nests in my landscape trees and I always seem them fortifying their hideouts. Forget the BB gun, I'm getting a shot gun. Its just not safe in my neighborhood.

Ted

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I know I shouldn't laugh... but it's awefully funny.

Of course I didn't think it was funny when a cousin of theirs that lives in WA decided to take a bite out of my satsuki... I would have choked it if I could have gotten my hands on it. :mad:

There isn't an emoticon evil enough to express my dislike for naughty squirrels. Only bad part is if I did kill one, I'd have to eat it. :eek: I'm against killing things I don't eat as a general rule. :p

V

DaveG

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
If they're so eager to take handouts, it probably wouldn't be too difficult to trap them in a live trap. Then you could just dump them a few miles out of town. They'd never return and they'd be forced to fend for themselves. However, for the sake of anyone living nearby, I'd recommend NOT dumping them all in one place.

Of course, the fun part is getting them out of the trap without a confrontation.

Last edited:

reddog

Mame
Reaction score
My daughters love them but the "tree rats" have knocked over a couple of my Erin pots and broke them. They also like my recipe for poo balls. I am not happy! Anybody have suggestions on keeping them away from the bonsai benches?

Kirk

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I just trapped one last night and released it this morning about 5 miles away in a protected forest. That leaves about 5000 more. They have been horrible this year. I've had bites taken out of my Kiyo Hime and a San Jose. I bought a pump b-b gun but felt guilty after killing one. The powdered cayenne pepper works until it rains or the tree is watered but I think Katrina relocated Cajun squirrels to my yard.

Kirk

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I'll get some hate mail on this one, but there is only one way, Howd you like to meet my little friend.

Tool of my choice - Crossman bb/pellet gun, at 10 pumps stops them in thier tracks.

Chipmunks on the other hand, I have found a semi auto 22 works best, but thats not always a good option around homes.

I also have a wrist rocket that I have gotten pretty good with, and using 1/4" ball bearings it must be like hitting them with an artillary shell.

That, tying them in, and covering the soil with screening, will do the trick, now you should get some pix of the gaurd dogs and cats the others have.:D

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I will admit... when the lil bugger took a bite of my tree... my dog was on vacation at grandma's house.... yes. I send my dog on vacation in the summer... but not me. :p:confused::eek:

(She can't stand fireworks.... and I won't torment her with staying in town when they are in season, because it sounds like a warzone where I live.... seriously.)

V

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Victrinia, would that be trembling badly, panting fiercly, tail between legs, hidding wherever it might be able to squeeze into preferably somewhere under where ever you are???

Mine too, they really seem to freak out over fireworks, even if they arent that close.

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If they're so eager to take handouts, it probably wouldn't be too difficult to trap them in a live trap. Then you could just dump them a few miles out of town. They'd never return and they'd be forced to fend for themselves. However, for the sake of anyone living nearby, I'd recommend NOT dumping them all in one place.

Of course, the fun part is getting them out of the trap without a confrontation.

Yep, that's what I do all the time: Trap'n dump. I do this every 2-3 months, since the vacancy is always filled with a new resident.

The main thing is not to let them become too comfortable around your house. I imagine that BB gun would help, since a good jolt would make him think twice about coming near the plants.

Last edited:

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Yep, that's what I do all the time: Trap'n dump. I do this every 2-3 months, since the vacancy is always filled with a new resident.

I think you might be surprised at how many are just returned residents.:eek:

My dad uses a hav a heart, then take em swimming. I know I asked, it came down to not pissing off the neighbors with some kind of firearm, so he uses water.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Victrinia, would that be trembling badly, panting fiercly, tail between legs, hidding wherever it might be able to squeeze into preferably somewhere under where ever you are???

Mine too, they really seem to freak out over fireworks, even if they arent that close.

Exactly... and here they are practically on top of her. We live three blocks from an "indian res" which is literally the size of like four house lots. But because it's a "res" they get to sell restricted fireworks in the heart of town. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

And we're such a military town... there's no motivation to clamp down on illegal fireworks where I am at. I know people are lighting those things which are the equivelent of a 1/4 stick of tnt. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

So it's either sedate her, or send her to the country, which is much quieter.

Heck... I soak every tree for days before it starts just to provide some level of protection for the trees. :mad:

V

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think you might be surprised at how many are just returned residents.:eek:

My dad uses a hav a heart, then take em swimming. I know I asked, it came down to not pissing off the neighbors with some kind of firearm, so he uses water.

It could be, but I doubt it. I forgot to tell you, that when the squirrel is in the live trap, I give the locked trap to my dog. So the dog plays around with it for about an hour, rolls it all over the back yard, and tries to open it, to eat the squirrel. After an hour, the squirrel is so terrified, that I don't think he wants to come back to this place ever again. Then I let it go, in a canyon a few miles away.

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
No problem with squirrels at my house. Scooby keeps the squirrels and my daughters in line! :cool:

Attachments

• Scooby.jpg
    Scooby.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 26
  • scooby1.jpg
    scooby1.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 26
  • scooby3.jpg
    scooby3.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 29

gottrees

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I know I shouldn't laugh... but it's awefully funny.

Of course I didn't think it was funny when a cousin of theirs that lives in WA decided to take a bite out of my satsuki... I would have choked it if I could have gotten my hands on it. :mad:

There isn't an emoticon evil enough to express my dislike for naughty squirrels. Only bad part is if I did kill one, I'd have to eat it. :eek: I'm against killing things I don't eat as a general rule. :p

V
Hey Victrinia
It is funny as hell and irritating as hell. I felt like my parents used to when I was a child and I did something very wrong but so funny,,,,,, like when I was 7yo my dad hired me for $8 to pick some weeds. When he left and after I worked for a little while, I decided to hire a kid down the street for $3 to pick the weeds. He wanted to teach me the value of money but I skipped right to subcontracting. He was a bit angry but very proud.

But the laugh only lasts for so long. If they take a bit out of one my trees. ITS ON!!!!

Ted

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is Scooby an Akita ? Nice dog. I have two labradoodles that hunt everything that comes close to my backyard. I don't have to worry about rabbits - they have each come into the house with a bunny head in their mouth !

Attachments

• 1000.jpg
    1000.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 12

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
:eek: Squirrells are eaten all over the place, I haven't tried myself, but a few I know say they are rather tasty.;)

Attila - Ahhh there you go, big difference from just a liesurely ride to the country.:D

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
:eek: Squirrells are eaten all over the place, I haven't tried myself, but a few I know say they are rather tasty.;)

Attila - Ahhh there you go, big difference from just a liesurely ride to the country.:D

Taste like chicken :D
Wood

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
22 cal. pellet gun, or .410 shotgun will do the job. Crosman bb/pellet combo won't kill em outright. Which means you gotta snap their little necks once you hit them enough to stop them...Of course around here in the DC metro area, the cops will show up if it gets noisy or if one of your neighbors takes offense (and believe me they will).

Another solution might be a lawn sprinkler attached to a valve controlled by a motion sensor. Squirrel moves --gets hit with a spray of water. This won't work long, though. Theyll get used to it.

You can avoid investing in firepower and motion detection by caging your seedlings in wire mesh until they are too rooted and thick to get away with or damage. Anchor the mesh with wire staples, so they can't turn it over.

Of course, once they're rooted and the squirrels stop bothering them, the deer will show up...:D

Top Bottom