My Shohin Willow Leaf Ficus.

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
My ficus is now ready to make the trek from the benches to the garden window in the kitchen. Getting cold at night and this week will drop to the high fourties. I thought it may be nice to use a recent piece of art as a backdrop.

Tree is 6.5 inches tall and the trunk spread is 3 inches at the soil. Pot by Yamafusa

DSC_0032.JPG

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice! Where did you get your table?

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6 inches is really impressive....you really upgraded it since when you purchased. You opened up the trunk which gives the perspective of more height. Healthy as well! Nice job.

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
6 inches is really impressive....you really upgraded it since when you purchased. You opened up the trunk which gives the perspective of more height. Healthy as well! Nice job.
Thanks, the main thing was tipping the plant about five degrees to the right which brought the buried part of the nebari into the picture. It also lessed the inset of the large trunk scar from a chop. It is almost healed now.

queenofsheba52

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Beautiful tree and very nice in front of the artwork. Is that an acrylic pour? I've seen similar art on YouTube and that technique looks like a lot of fun.

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
Beautiful tree and very nice in front of the artwork. Is that an acrylic pour? I've seen similar art on YouTube and that technique looks like a lot of fun.
Thanks and yes. Thats a double dirty pour with silicone in only one pour. And yes it is a blast to do. It is addicting and you want to do one after the other, try colors here, more silicone, more alcohol, more fire...

Time will tell.

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Very cool tree!!!
I keep finding myself wanting to pick up some tropicals that I could enjoy all year long. It’s trees like this that add to my persuasion to do so.
Thanks for sharing Al,

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Do you have to torch it after pouring? I want to try one but a don’t have a torch.
You already know I love the ficus.

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
The pours do not need to have fire to blend and make a beautiful painting. If you wish cells of color like this one:
DSC_0002.JPG

Then silicone lubricant must be sprayed into each color before pouring to envelop the globules of paint. When the torch is applied like this one from harbor freight for 14.99, it bursts the bubbles in the paint pour and each bubble is a group of paint colors making the cool cells. Silicone makes small cells like this and 90 percent Iso alcohol will make large cells.

DSC_0004.JPG

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The pours do not need to have fire to blend and make a beautiful painting. If you wish cells of color like this one:
View attachment 215896

Then silicone lubricant must be sprayed into each color before pouring to envelop the globules of paint. When the torch is applied like this one from harbor freight for 14.99, it bursts the bubbles in the paint pour and each bubble is a group of paint colors making the cool cells. Silicone makes small cells like this and 90 percent Iso alcohol will make large cells.

View attachment 215897
Looks like I am in the market for a torch :)
I just think I would like it fired better.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok....stahhhpppp! I already have two art endeavors (bonsai,pottery) that constantly remind me I have very little artistic ability I do not need a third!......you torch it on the canvas?

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
Ok....stahhhpppp! I already have two art endeavors (bonsai,pottery) that constantly remind me I have very little artistic ability I do not need a third!......you torch it on the canvas?
yep!

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting.

Top Bottom