My strawberry guava tree.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hmmmmm....custom made or retail purchased? I might need something like that one of these days.

Bought of ebay. Its pretty cool how it works. Almost like an umbrella. Has a bottom to it also but I had to cut it open to get it over the top of the tree. Pull a string at the top and the sides bow out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331990744191?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT I paid $57.40 free shipping.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ive been letting this tree grow out but it was turning into a big ball. Decided to trim it down some but there is fruit starting all over the tree and I will give it a better trim after fruiting. Cleaned it up but left most of the fruit on.
20170514_183450.jpg
Bad picture taken threw the window. After fruiting I will do more trimming. Thinner and more of a point at the top.
20170514_183816.jpg

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
This is such a good looking tree! It is inspiring me! I have several starters in 3" pots that are nearly ready for sale. I really like this little tree. I do believe there is different species that is the invasive one I will check. I found a few good sources about growing them. I hope they catch as bonsai. They seem to have a great deal of promise.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is such a good looking tree! It is inspiring me! I have several starters in 3" pots that are nearly ready for sale. I really like this little tree. I do believe there is different species that is the invasive one I will check. I found a few good sources about growing them. I hope they catch as bonsai. They seem to have a great deal of promise.
They are know to be very invasive which is good for us but bad for other areas. Watched a video about how the guava is taking over in Hawaii. There trying to import some bug to help control the guava from taking over.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I was thinking about Psidium guajava, the regular guava which is also invasive throughout the tropics. I still love them for Bonsai.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Man!

I think I been letting this thread pass cuz usually, a title with an off tree name like this is Usually just a stick of some random crappy for bonsai material....

I forgot how cool this tree was!

The frigging greenhouse and soil light is brilliant!

DIY Gangster!

Sorce

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did you wind up taking all the fruit off?
I was going to wait until the fruit was red but the tree was getting so far out of shape it was looking like darth vader's helmet. There's still some fruit on it. Green right now. Friend of mine stopped over and was looking out the window and said "hows helmet doing?" Decided to trim and shape it then. My raintree is probably next for a trim.
If it starts back budding well enough I'm going to try and narrow it up even more. Would love for it to fit into the greenhouse for the winter.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes it does look like it could use some interior buds, looks a bit thin there. I'll bet the red fruit is nice with this.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Man!

I think I been letting this thread pass cuz usually, a title with an off tree name like this is Usually just a stick of some random crappy for bonsai material....

I forgot how cool this tree was!

The frigging greenhouse and soil light is brilliant!

DIY Gangster!

Sorce

I will show you some little fellas when I get around to it. They are even neat when they are just small. That bark starts to exfoliate when the trunk / branch is about 1/8".

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I will show you some little fellas when I get around to it. They are even neat when they are just small. That bark starts to exfoliate when the trunk / branch is about 1/8".
I would love to see them.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
After cutting this tree back pretty far was hoping it would back bud further towards the trunk and it is. Planning of moving the foliage back toward the trunk even more. Will let it grow out again then cut it back even more. Fun tree to work on. Grows like a weed.
20170618_091841.jpg

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Couldn't take it anymore.

That plant is soooooooooooooo nice, thank you for sharing :)

I took two sloppy but clear pictures today in between working on other trees. This is as you described from your stock ;)

IMG_1187.JPG

And -

IMG_1188.JPG

As you can see it is already throwing new shoots :)

Grimmy

Top Bottom