my sweetgum, purple crabapple and wild rose

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
i love the sweetgum because i found this thing mid summer and it was tiny, and survived a northeast winter outside.
20210512_192103.jpg

the crabapple was bought for $10 on roadside sale (got a white oak with it, now in the ground) and recently repot and hardcut the purp
20210512_192047.jpg
the rose in background is kind of funny because i found it at bottom of a birch tree and thought it was a birch, until i saw a thorn on it haha
its only been repotted for 4 weeks and is growing. anyone think its a wild japaenese rose like i have in my backyard? heres the jap rose i have out back
IMG_20200613_074754_336.jpg
the benefits from walking my dog at a university (taxpayer funded) every day for 4 years, amazing trees everywhere is where i pull these pre-weedwack saplings (sweetgum and rose)

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
The first picture is a crabapple. I'm am not seeing a sweetgum in any of these pictures.
the second picture is the crabapple as it was advertised and the first picture is a 4" tall sweetgum that hasnt yet formed its lobed leafs, im pretty sure. i might be wrong but all good either way...

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Big negatory on that. Not close.
i think you guys could be correct on the non-sweetgum (which is tough but ill see what it becomes anyway) because now that i think about that parent-tree, im not sure its big enough or producing gumballs for it to grow from...lol

i might have got two sweetgum cuttings to root though so ill hold out hope for that.

appreciate the feedback and will keep posting on what the tiny mystery tree or weed is

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
It is a crabapple. It is pretty clear from leaves.
ironic and i think you could be correct there, and i hope it is instead of some random weed or w.e.

also, there are a ton of crabapples and flowering trees nearby on the campus

thanks for the info @penumbra and @Forsoothe!

Top Bottom