be easier, not bend to the will.

Look to the trees, and study.

Imagination is the brain reshuffling the images already
studied.
Happens naturally, just tap into it.

Work with the tree.
Good Day
Anthony
I grew up with the monk and even spent my preK year in the temple so I know a little bit about working with nature. Still in bonsai it is about us narrowing the choices for the trees and make them grow the way we want.

For me right now, I will be satisfied that they live in the pot and not die on me often enough to make me quit. As I'm merely a seedling in this. There is much to learn from all of you here.

Last edited:

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Another theme common in Asia is the Luck (Blessing), Wealth, and Longevity where 3 different kind of trees representing each of the group are grouped together or the trunk developed to be gnarly to show longevity, the ramification of the branches developed to show vast wealth, and the apex developed to show flowers/fruits as blessings/luck.
Yet another common one is the Four season where flowering trees are grouped with flowers for each season.
And there is the one for the Five Elements of Metal, Wood, Water, Fire, and Earth arranged in a way that shows an unending circle etc..
And then there are esoteric named themes such as Dragon rests in clouds, Tiger hides in thicket, Toad croaking for rain etc..

Once again, for me now I will be happy to learn to graft, propagate, prune branches and roots, trunk development, root development etc.. My focus is all in the basic stuff. It is fascinating that my interest in bonsai actually helps me be a better gardener. I now think nothing of grabbing a branch of pear and graft it on another pear tree just for kick. When I need another pomegranate, it's nothing now to take cuttings and stick them in pot and plant them later. I really like air layering. It takes just a few minutes to do one and it's practically guaranteed I'll have a viable tree to plant later. The trees I have in my yard have even been pruned for better ramification etc.. This spring I'm going to do a couple through grafts on my pear trees just because I want to practice :)

Last edited:

Bonsai901

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have always been drawn to the bonsai of SE Asia, not so much the extremes shown with googlie eyes and such, but the way they make bonsai in their own style.

Lest we forget that bonsai was not originated in Japan, but the Japanese popularized it with their style.

All the books and knowledge passed down through the years about bonsai are just someone’s interpretation of what they thought bonsai should be. Just like religion, things change and get lost in translation over time.

I am by no means saying that traditional Japanese bonsai is not correct or that it should change. I am saying that there are several styles from different regions that all deserve some amount of appreciation and for me personally I will continue to try to learn every style that I can.

After all, my trees need only please myself because I have to look at them everyday.

BE.REAL

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The island here is fertile and the climate is mild.
Trees tend to be variations of informal. leaning and formal.
For most trees here, if your heartwood is exposed, death
follows,

Mostly European paintings /drawings [ Ruisdael, Rubens, Dutch Landscape.....]
are the influence and our island's Nature.
Using Grow and Clip, but not really Chinese Ink Paintings.
Perhaps just Western eyes looking at trees.
Good Day
Anthony

I agree with Anthony esp. the heartwood comment, and will also add, Bonsai is spreading, and like most things it will take on different aspects based on what, how, and where you live.
I tend to lean towards confiers, not surprisingly Im in a northern, cold wintered climate...vastly different than the heat, humidity, and longer grow season of Anthony. So one must always keep that in mind when watching, reading on bonsai info.
I enjoy the Penjing landscapes of China, and also the large trees I have seen in Vietnam, and again the Japanese attention to detail is not to be disregarded. So like others have said, its different where ever you go, and I firmly believe a lot has to do with the climate.

I wish my Bougie could stay outside all year, but not gonna happen, hahaha. I have learned and enjoy native trees, otherwise you are in for some work to keep it vigorous. IMO

Top Bottom