My Tiniest tree, What are you trying that's new??

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got some erodium a couple of months ago, bought some small pots and the tiny pot was an extra they threw in. After my cuttings threw out some roots I put one of them in the smallest of pot.

Since it's so new I'm fighting the urge to trim off all the leaves and have them grow back small at first without so much stem.

They root exceptionally easy. Buy one plant and you'll get 7-10 depending on how much you cut it back. This is my first venture into the world of tiny trees. I want a mud man who looks like he's working on a tree to combine with this little guy.

Trying something new keeps the hobby fresh and interesting for me...What are you trying that's new??!!

Attachments

• Photo Jun 03, 2 41 50 PM.jpg
    Photo Jun 03, 2 41 50 PM.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 1,911
  • Photo Jun 03, 2 42 52 PM.jpg
    Photo Jun 03, 2 42 52 PM.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 2,002

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Very cool and thanks for sharing. As for trying something new I gave trunk splitting a shot this year on a young japanese maple. We will see. If it lives ill start a thread on it.

Reaction score
Erodium make awesome mame. I had this one for 12 years until it succumbed. I didn't know that even lived that long. trunks up well and leaves reduce great. Also can do root over rock with them.

Attachments

• DSC_0351.jpg
    DSC_0351.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 1,837
Last edited:

Joshua

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nice start. For me I am trying to convince my wife I need a wrightia religiosa for mame/shohin exploration for fathers Day.
P.s. Thanks for sharing

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I seen an impressive display of Erodium Bonsai at last years Columbus Bonsai society show in Columbus Ohio. This one vendor had an eye catching display of those little gems in flower! I made a mental note to buy one, and remembered the note about halfway home. :(

ed

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
What are you trying that's new??!!

Being a newbie...everything I am doing is new. :eek: :p

Cool tiny plants. :cool: Much respect to those who have skill, dexterity, and talent to do this but not sure I want to try it (not my cup of tea). Shohin is probably the smallest I will go (for now at least).

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Being a newbie...everything I am doing is new. :eek: :p

Cool tiny plants. :cool: Much respect to those who have skill, dexterity, and talent to do this but not sure I want to try it (not my cup of tea). Shohin is probably the smallest I will go (for now at least).

I started off with medium sized trees. I went to the Minnesota state fair and was mesmerized by the big stuff so I started in with those. Then people reminded me that I will get old and to invest my energy in the small to medium stuff also.(good advice)

When I got a bunch of large stuff sitting around, the small stuff was interesting because it was so different and makes good accent material.

Now I started some tiny stuff just for fun!! Round and round it goes. Now I have a little of all of it.

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
do they stay in the shade? how often do you water something that small?

At this point they are all inside. Not sure if they want full sun! Does anyone know if erodium does well in full sun? The pots being so small my first choice will be to find a place with morning sun and afternoon shade.

As indoor plants I water them every other day. The tiniest tree I planted in straight sand. If I put it outside it will be planted it in a larger pot of haydite and let the roots grow into the larger pot.

For people wanting to mess around with something indoors, it is a great plant.

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I just got a small leaf fukien tea that's in a 2x2 pot. I will post pics up soon. I want it to settle in some first

Rick

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
By the way, this spring I defoliated my erodium and put it in full sun as the temps got to the right point. Best, move ever. The foliage was 1/10th the normal size and looked great all summer. Now that they have been brought indoors for the winter, the leaves are getting bigger with long stems.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Just saw this post and sharing this little guy, a mame quercus serrata. It is my very first true mame sized tree in my collection and the only oak I own. A charming tree specially in leaf which is similar to beech but with serrated edges. I have become enamored in the last couple of years with deciduous oaks. At the moment I am looking for some large collected ones. Got this one as part of a trade last year.

zachkent29

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just saw this post and sharing this little guy, a mame quercus serrata. It is my very first true mame sized tree in my collection and the only oak I own. A charming tree specially in leaf which is similar to beech but with serrated edges. I have become enamored in the last couple of years with deciduous oaks. At the moment I am looking for some large collected ones. Got this one as part of a trade last year.

I have a few oak seedlings in development...I may take one down this path inside of what I was doing. Looks fun!

jomawa

Shohin
Reaction score
OK, I'm in if all ya'll will accept a forest in a soap dish. This is "Whimsy", three vine maples I pulled from the ground earlier this fall. They have a very short node distance so I have high hopes of pulling this off, (that is, winding up with a halfway decent looking forest in this dish). And if any of them die I belive I'm crazy enough to replace them with something comparable, just because.DSCN2479.JPG DSCN2485.JPG DSCN2488.JPG

Ceijay

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a

OMFGILOVETHIS!!!

Top Bottom