My Tiniest tree, What are you trying that's new??

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks. It’s a hedge cotoneaster (cotoneaster lucidus). I’m not sure why they are not used more often.
I guess theyre not as long lived as some other species so people get put off..... even though it will still probably outlive them

Boerboel313

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
So how do you keep a tree smaller than a seedling would be??
01-smallest-bonsai.jpg
Is that an acer? Where is SOCAL are you?

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have any of you tried wicking your tiny trees? I often see the Mame displayed on dishes filled with water so the clay feet can soak it up. I wick a great many of my plants as I wouldn't be able to keep up with watering thousands at a time otherwise. A few of my smaller trees are wicked (ficus) and I had been considering trying it for some of my smaller outdoor bonsai as well once it warms up - if the rain backs off.

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Those are some great curves on that little bitty euonymus trunk! I would have thought it was a little brittle for that much manipulation. Maybe I'll try that - I have rooted a bunch of euonymus cuttings so I have plenty to spare. I really love this species. Yours is a cutie.

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Those are some great curves on that little bitty euonymus trunk! I would have thought it was a little brittle for that much manipulation. Maybe I'll try that - I have rooted a bunch of euonymus cuttings so I have plenty to spare. I really love this species. Yours is a cutie.
I would've thought so too. I didn't do the bends. It was given to me by @JudyB who was also given it by someone else.

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you for the reply. I have only recently come back to restarting a bonsai collection and the euonymus I've been working on has done amazingly well for only just having started work on it last spring. Also thickened up notably even though it's still in the nursery pot. I am about to put it into the ground to grow this year over a tile. It shapes so easily and despite warnings that it wouldn't give me a second flush of growth after a hard cutting back, it did! A lot in fact. It was also covered with red fruit over the autumn and winter. I couldn't be more pleased with it. Except that now I want to do some of these cuttings as Mame. Yours is inspiring. ;)

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Right, that's what I figured. Which is good that I have thin cuttings to torment. Er, I mean wire up! On a lark I stuck my cuttings in water and BOOM! They rooted like crazy while I forgot about them.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I would've thought so too. I didn't do the bends. It was given to me by @JudyB who was also given it by someone else.
That's so cool!

Maybe it was grown under a screen like what @Smoke did with some maples....?

Hard to imagine using wire on that species....like that....but maybe!

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So brittle.
New shoots aren't particularly brittle, but, the joint to old wood is quite fragile.

Two strategies seem to work. One is to wrap aluminum wire on the old wood and then just use the end of it to direct the young shoot. The other is to use a fine gauge copper wire, like #20/#22 and wire 'properly' (carefully remove it a few weeks later).

Top Bottom