My Tiniest tree, What are you trying that's new??

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here are the smallest tree i have at the moment (not counting seedlings)
1. This is the oak that i collected last year, more likely white oak, age - probably2-3 years old, i thought it was dead as its only pushing leaves now, in the greenhouse now but i guess i will move it outside once it will get hotter

2. Another oak, i should have the name somewhere, cant find it right now, started late also but its pushing vigorously, i like it, the long branch(not fully visible) is more likely dead.

3. Larch - collected locally last year, seems to love to be in the greenhouse:)

4. Maple- also collected locally,around 3 years old i would say it might be Norway maple but not sure.

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is my smallest tree. It is a 1 year old Privet. This is as tall as I plan on letting it grow. Now I will concentrate on the foliage.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
As for me, what I’m trying that’s new is: making my first attempts at growing accent plants. Up until now, I’ve only been growing trees. No pictures to show at the moment because everything is in the refrigerator for cold stratification. I got a bunch of small tokoname pots and planted seeds: Indian paintbrush (Castilleja coccinea) with buffalo grass (Buchloe dactyloides ‘Bowie’), monkey flower (Mimulus ringens) with buffalo grass, partridge pea (Chamaecrista fasciculata) with buffalo grass, and wild strawberry (Fragaria virginiana). Now I wait.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
2016 and 2019 respectively. Hard to tell from photo but it's filling in much better. This is planted in straight Aoki shohin mix and it gets watered just like all the other trees...... mostly once a day. Not sure why it doesn't dry out more quickly.IMG_0621.jpgIMG_2306.JPG

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
You mean the pumice? Hasn’t yet, it’s gets watered under a mister with my other shohin.
I was referring to the pot. That type of surface is used in Native American pottery which is low fire and not very durable.

TyroTinker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just saw this post and sharing this little guy, a mame quercus serrata. It is my very first true mame sized tree in my collection and the only oak I own. A charming tree specially in leaf which is similar to beech but with serrated edges. I have become enamored in the last couple of years with deciduous oaks. At the moment I am looking for some large collected ones. Got this one as part of a trade last year.

Do you still have this little guy? I know it’s been 4 years since this post but I’m wondering what it might look like after all that time.

TyroTinker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
View attachment 119156 Laceleaf Japanese maple

View attachment 119157 Fothergilla

View attachment 119158 Horse chestnut

View attachment 119159 Norway maple

View attachment 119160 Walnut

My hands are really much larger than my left one appears to be in the photos :p
How about you 0soyoung? How are these doing? I’m getting prepared to start some maple seeds and I would like some of them to start in small pots for mame.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
How about you 0soyoung? How are these doing? I’m getting prepared to start some maple seeds and I would like some of them to start in small pots for mame.
The laceleaf didn't make it and I haven't found another. 😢
The fothergilla didn't either, but I have another that is already bare, coming up on its second winter IMG_20191104_160146658.jpg (I have trouble understanding how cell cameras can pick out a bit of distant background in one corner of the frame and focus in that instead of what's right there in the middle of the field of view :mad:).
I still have two horsechestnuts, the one I posted was moved to a small dish. 2019-07-15 14.54.52.jpg The other is in a pink pot that is smaller than the b&w stripe. 2019-07-15 14.55.06.jpg I get a huge kick out of them because of how radical the miniaturization can be. Here's a pic of the two with a leaf from their mom and a conker like the one from which they came (thank you squirrels!). 2019-07-15 14.53.45.jpg

I have tons of Norway maples still and cannot recall loosing a one, but I cannot even find this little blue pot, so I guess it is lost 😞. In its stead, here are pix of a couple of others IMG_20191104_160542507.jpg IMG_20191104_160504106.jpg,

The walnut was a bit of a kick (funny), but I got rid of it. I've now got several sorbus (rowan / mountain ash) - that b&w pot now has one in it. IMG_20191104_160638961 (1).jpg and another that has a little better fall color IMG_20191104_160350739.jpg that partially satisfy my need for a compound leaf challenge.

Top Bottom