My Tiniest tree, What are you trying that's new??

TyroTinker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thank you both for responding. 0soyoung I can’t believe those horse chestnuts! The really do reduce a lot. I like the looks of those Norways too.
As for the cell phone thing, with my phone (iPhone) if you tap on the screen before you take the picture it will refocus where you tap if it can. Sometimes with closeups I have to move back a little to get anything to focus, but then I can zoom and crop after

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I sure do. I will post an update soon ;)

The base has thickened considerably. Was just cut back to force it to back bud closer to the trunk. Still needs lots more development but will get there. They are slow and not so easy to ramify. Also posting one from last summer.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
View attachment 244057
My tiniest JRP. Now three years old from seed.
Pot size has restricted the needle size to around 10% of the previous year. The 2018 needles are longer than the entire tree.

It's dead! I wasn't able to keep this one watered enough, to make things worse.. The blackbird got it a few times, yanked it straight out of the pot. Same goes with all of my miniatures except for the cherry.
It's getting a nice cutback next spring.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I wasn't able to keep this one watered enough, to make things worse.. The blackbird got it a few times, yanked it straight out of the pot.
Nesting the little pot in a bigger pot filled with substrate or similar will ameliorate watering issues. I fill humidity trays with sand or substrate fines and sit my little pots atop it - water the works.

I take a length of wire, gently wrap it around the stem of the seedling. Poke the end of the wire through the drain hole, then around the outside to the top of the pot, with the end of the wire bent over the lip. Seedling doesn't come out of the pot.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nesting the little pot in a bigger pot filled with substrate or similar will ameliorate watering issues. I fill humidity trays with sand or substrate fines and sit my little pots atop it - water the works.

I take a length of wire, gently wrap it around the stem of the seedling. Poke the end of the wire through the drain hole, then around the outside to the top of the pot, with the end of the wire bent over the lip. Seedling doesn't come out of the pot.

Unfortunately, we can't glue our substrates to the pot. It's nice that the plant stays in place, but when a pot is shaken upside down and bakes in the sun all day, there's not much I can do. They've been flicked from the bench, the surrounding substrate has been removed by those pesky birds over 20 times, and the summer heat this year was no joke. I have used netting in the past, but once a bird gets stuck in there, the entire bench gets ravaged.
If those black bird weren't culled by a viral disease the past few years, I would've shot them. But their population was diminished to roughly 2% of the original population within a single year and the rebound is slow due to the dry and hot summers.
Oh well, I have enough seedlings of somewhat the same age. I'll manage.

cockroach

Chumono
Reaction score
A cutting from the exposed root hibiscus. I will try keep it as small as possible

20191103_164200.jpg

Will try tighten foliage on this little cascade ficus as well.
20191105_171717.jpg

This is a little elm literati I am working on.
20191105_171755.jpg20191105_171802.jpg

This was an premna microphylla twig I cut and threw away that landed in a potted plant and stretched for the sun. Will continue to play with it and contort it to see what happens. Not liking the "S" bends but I could not bend it more as the trunk was already cracking.
20191105_171824.jpg

My littlest ficus I just keep adding more and more bends to. Will see where it ends up.
20191105_171901.jpg

My premna mame cascade got a hard prune. Will wait and see how it recovers.
20191105_172040.jpg

A small premna root over rock is starting to take shape.
20191105_172438.jpg

Hibiscus exposed root that the above cutting came from.
20191105_172544.jpg

Louisinass

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
MAR
The laceleaf didn't make it and I haven't found another. 😢
The fothergilla didn't either, but I have another that is already bare, coming up on its second winter View attachment 269821 (I have trouble understanding how cell cameras can pick out a bit of distant background in one corner of the frame and focus in that instead of what's right there in the middle of the field of view :mad:).
I still have two horsechestnuts, the one I posted was moved to a small dish. View attachment 269809 The other is in a pink pot that is smaller than the b&w stripe. View attachment 269810 I get a huge kick out of them because of how radical the miniaturization can be. Here's a pic of the two with a leaf from their mom and a conker like the one from which they came (thank you squirrels!). View attachment 269811

I have tons of Norway maples still and cannot recall loosing a one, but I cannot even find this little blue pot, so I guess it is lost 😞. In its stead, here are pix of a couple of others View attachment 269818 View attachment 269819,

The walnut was a bit of a kick (funny), but I got rid of it. I've now got several sorbus (rowan / mountain ash) - that b&w pot now has one in it. View attachment 269817 and another that has a little better fall color View attachment 269820 that partially satisfy my need for a compound leaf challenge.
Would you recommend conker as bonsai?

Reaction score
Portland, Oregon, United States of America
USDA Zone
9b
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I’ve found a channel called Bonsaify and he has a number of smaller trees. It’s got me interested in the style

I saw this the other day and it just spoke to me. P afra “kaleidoscope”. I was going to put it in a small pot, but decided last min to put it in a bigger pot to grow out a bit as well as get the needed tilt. Informal upright. There is an equally long branch right out the back, too

Attachments

• 87DC88E6-5729-46B0-BCAD-9F56F3C608C4.jpeg
    87DC88E6-5729-46B0-BCAD-9F56F3C608C4.jpeg
    207.6 KB · Views: 18

cockroach

Chumono
Reaction score
Got some repotting done today. We have had an exceptionally warm winter and think we have hit 12°C once on a colder night.
With a lot of trees showing growth starting I decided to get stuck in.
A small elm cutting that I am letting do its own thing to see what happens.
20220109_172004.jpg

A premna cutting from last season I forgot about and found growing in a ficus pot.
20220109_172024.jpg

Ficus cascade from a cutting a while back.
20220109_172050.jpg

Hibiscus cutting that now has its root exposed. Will see how it goes.
20220109_172105.jpg

Another premna from cutting that's been going a short while
20220109_172126.jpg20220109_172134.jpg

Another premna cutting that is doing its own thing. Most of these trees are just for fun to play with.
20220109_172148.jpg

Another ficus cascade from cutting. Its ugly but fun.
20220109_172223.jpg

A ficus I have played with for a few years not. It started as a cutting I just kept twisting. Got to this and and decided I would keep it. I have been tightening the twists over the past 2 growing seasons.20220109_172244.jpg20220109_172251.jpg

Many of my trees were neglected for the past 3 growing seasons but I hope to get back what I lost and get the trees healthy and repotted again. It may take a while to restore the ramification I lost.

Top Bottom