My Torii Gate Project

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Adam Corolla, the comedian, said something about treating the Corona virus restrictions like a small prison sentence. He offered this nugget up for dealing with the time. "You can do the time. Or the time can do you". Comedians are not normally my go to people for advice but I thought this was pretty sage advice.

I have been wanting to create a torii gate for my bonsai area for awhile so I decided that was how I was going to "do the time". I have a two gate set up for my bonsai area. One faces the street (which was not an option because of HOA) and the other is my backyard entrance. Which worked out great!

I did a great deal of research on torii gates and there are many different varieties and styles. I will post more information later about what I learned.

Torii gates are usually placed at the entrance of Shinto shrines in Japan, however, they can also be found standing in other places. From what I understand, they have roots in India and also China. Everyone it seems, has a different understanding of what they represent but I like the idea that the torii separates the mundane from the spiritual (I believe I saw that in Wikipedia-DO NOT let my students know I used Wiki. ;)

The picture I have for you today is from the mundane side (the spiritual side needs cleaned up before it is ready for prime time).
Hope you enjoy. I had a great time putting it together! I will be glad to answer any questions.
20200708_143626.jpg
20200708_143718.jpg
20200708_143659.jpg

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In my research I found that torii gates can be very elaborate or quite simple. A simple torii gate would have the Kasagi, Shimagi, Nuki, and the Hashira at the very least. The more ornate torii gates have additional components. I am sure this torii gate would not qualify to be installed in front of a shrine but it looks great in my backyard.

Kasagi- The very top beam of the torii gate. They can be straight or curved.
Shimagi- The second beam directly underneath the kasagi.
Nuki- The secondary beam of a torii gate.
Hashira- The supporting pillars of the torii gate (I used a Brazzilian Pepper tree I had to remove from my yard)
Gakuzuka- Center post.
Kusabi- Wedge used to hold the Nuki in place.

Torii Gate .jpg

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Beautiful! And congratulations. It took forever for me to build just one. I am not sure this is the place but I remember reading about successful business people donating toriis to shrines they frequent as a sign of thankfulness. @NaoTK

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
It took forever for me to build just one. I am not sure this is the place but I remember reading about successful business people donating toriis to shrines they frequent as a sign of thankfulness. @NaoTK
that is indeed the place!

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
that is indeed the place!
It just looks fun to walk through. Great color! Are you supposed to be reverent while walking through the toriis?

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
It just looks fun to walk through. Great color! Are you supposed to be reverent while walking through the toriis?
Toris are supposed to separate a spiritual place from the normal world, so like at the entrance to a temple (you probably knew that of course) so I suppose yes you should be reverent if you are on a temple grounds. But modern japan is relaxed and even the locals goof around. Fushimi-inari is unique though because the whole mountain is coated in thousands of gates. You pass by several temples and cemeteries along the way but all the visitors are eating ice cream and taking pictures.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Toris are supposed to separate a spiritual place from the normal world, so like at the entrance to a temple (you probably knew that of course) so I suppose yes you should be reverent if you are on a temple grounds. But modern japan is relaxed and even the locals goof around. Fushimi-inari is unique though because the whole mountain is coated in thousands of gates. You pass by several temples and cemeteries along the way but all the visitors are eating ice cream and taking pictures.
I will have to put that on my bucket list! Thanks for sharing!

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Would this be classified as "cultural appropriation"? πŸ€” 😁 😁 😁 😁 😁 😁 😁

Looks nice and definitely adds "that little something":cool:

I even broke a little sweat looking at the completed photo....don't know how you handle the heat!?!?😷

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Would this be classified as "cultural appropriation"? πŸ€” 😁 😁 😁 😁 😁 😁 😁

Looks nice and definitely adds "that little something":cool:

I even broke a little sweat looking at the completed photo....don't know how you handle the heat!?!?😷
I like to think of it as cultural appreciation!
:)

Top Bottom