My Toyo Nishiki (Flowering quince)

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for sharing. I have a couple quince from brent and would have shared photos of flowers, but my 2 year old picked off the buds!!

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Bonhe,

Somewhere on page 6 of this thread, you mentioned that you air layer a big branch on this tree. Did it take? Do you do anything special to the air layer? I have a 2 or 3 big branches on mine that I want to air layer but not sure if it will be better to just try to root as cuttings?

Thanks,
NN

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Bonhe,

Somewhere on page 6 of this thread, you mentioned that you air layer a big branch on this tree. Did it take? Do you do anything special to the air layer? I have a 2 or 3 big branches on mine that I want to air layer but not sure if it will be better to just try to root as cuttings?

I know you addressed this to Bohne, but ...

Think about this. As an layer, the shoot one is trying to root is sustained by the mother plant's roots via the xylem (wood) while roots are developed. A cutting has no life-support. In other words, it is always better to root hardwood (i.e., a 'big branch') by a layer than as a cutting.

On the other hand, softwood (this year's shoot) cuttings often root easily, but cannot be layered.

Bohne, I apologize for stealing 'your thunder'.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bonhe,

Thanks,
NN
Thanks for asking Namnhi. Yes, it did.

I know you addressed this to Bohne, but ...

Think about this. As an layer, the shoot one is trying to root is sustained by the mother plant's roots via the xylem (wood) while roots are developed. A cutting has no life-support. In other words, it is always better to root hardwood (i.e., a 'big branch') by a layer than as a cutting.

On the other hand, softwood (this year's shoot) cuttings often root easily, but cannot be layered.

Bohne, I apologize for stealing 'your thunder'.
No problem at all Osoyoung! I really appreciate your answer for me! :)
And one more thing: in my opinion, only air layer can reserve the whole characters of the mother tree, because I can choose exactly how many type of flowers it will have in the future. In this post, I present the air layered daughter of this tree.http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthr...e-Flowering-Quince-cuttings-in-training/page4
Bonhe

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Thanks for sharing. I have a couple quince from brent and would have shared photos of flowers, but my 2 year old picked off the buds!!

That's funny, in a tragic kinda way, something only a dad could understand. I had a similar situation with a nectarine tree (not a bonsai). I love nectarines so decided to try to grow some. I ordered a scraggly tree from a seed catalog and babied the first couple of years, the third year it was about three and half feet tall and loaded with fruit, at the time of the incident they were all still nickle and quarter size. I was working shift work then and was sleeping off midnights, my daughters then 5 and 6 (now 14 and 15) decided to make me a surprise. They concocted the most beautiful mud-cakes for me in their sand box and had decorated them with sticks, stones, and you guessed it, my nectarines. I think I only had half a dozen left on the tree.

John

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I got the mud pie with unripened cherry tomatoes last summer, don't think she left one on the plant. It was however, served with a smile.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks Guys, I will give it a try this year.
NN

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This tree starts blooming. It is late comparing to the previous years.
3.png
I just want to mention to whoever doesn't know about this particular tree. Each branch will give only one kind of flower year after year (it never changes the type of flower), for example, if the branch only give red flowers, it will give only red flower
1.png

This branch has been giving red stripes.
2.png 4.png
Bonhe

Top Bottom