My Toyo Nishiki (Flowering quince)

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Can't find any locally so I ordered 3 small cutting through eBay for $15.95 shipped. I wonder how long before they bloom? LOL

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've found the quince I have, even the younger ones, bloomed within 2 years.

Thanks...now I just hope the seller is honest and I really got a Toyo Nishiki. Nothing worse than waiting all those years and realize you got something else.

Ryan820

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thanks...now I just hope the seller is honest and I really got a Toyo Nishiki. Nothing worse than waiting all those years and realize you got something else.

there is always that risk. this is partly the reason I bought mine from brent at evergreen... though your deal is better. It's all about finding the balance :)

These plants are such strong growers though it baffles me that they never want to put on trunk weight! What is with that?! My TN is roughly 6 years old, the trunk is roughly 1/2 inch in diameter but even with the die back it had this past winter do to neglect, it's blooming like mad.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I wonder if Quince can be grafted? I have access to cheap but much bigger Texas Scarlet quince locally that may work as scion recipient. hmmm :)

I contacted Brent before but somehow it didn't work out. I think he was out of the country and I need to wait for their cuttings to take or something.

Ryan820

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I wonder if Quince can be grafted? I have access to cheap but much bigger Texas Scarlet quince locally that may work as scion recipient. hmmm :)

I contacted Brent before but somehow it didn't work out. I think he was out of the country and I need to wait for their cuttings to take or something.

That may be-- he seems to be a busy guy and always trying to keep up with replacing what is sold. Honestly how many cuttings can one guy take?! To date I have toyonishiki as well as a double salmon, double red, red, orange and white contorted as well. I'm awaiting delivery of the contorted varieties-- thankfully he holds orders too as i'll be out of town when he was planning on sending them.

As to grafting-- might as well try. I guess the question after "can it be done?" is how closely they match in growth rate.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
As to grafting-- might as well try. I guess the question after "can it be done?" is how closely they match in growth rate.

IF I do this, all the original growth will be removed and regularly rubbed off. All the growth will be purely TN. :)

Ryan820

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
IF I do this, all the original growth will be removed and regularly rubbed off. All the growth will be purely TN. :)

Keep us updated... better you than me. Apparently I can't be trusted with a standard chinese elm! (referencing my other post from last night). Quince, however, I can do... I look at them mean, a little stink eye, and they grow.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
ǝɔuınb ɹnoʎ ɹǝʌo pǝddıןɟ ǝʌ,ı

It's been a few years since i first saw your quince. I would give anything to be able to have a start. I'll drop you a PM if you don't mind.....

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
ǝɔuınb ɹnoʎ ɹǝʌo pǝddıןɟ ǝʌ,ı

It's been a few years since i first saw your quince. I would give anything to be able to have a start. I'll drop you a PM if you don't mind.....

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These plants are such strong growers though it baffles me that they never want to put on trunk weight! What is with that?! My TN is roughly 6 years old, the trunk is roughly 1/2 inch in diameter but even with the die back it had this past winter do to neglect, it's blooming like mad.

I've tried a bunch of quince from Brent and other sources. TN seems to thicken up a little better than the others, but even then, the one I have has a similar trunk caliper in five years (even letting to grow to three-four feet in height). I've also gotten random dieback of trunk sections which is incredibly frustrating. I've resigned myself to keeping them as shohin or accent type plants, and have given up on having any that come anywhere close to the specimens you see in Japan.

That being said, for whatever reason, my quince flowered like crazy this year. They are a really nice sign to see that spring is coming.

Last edited:

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you for concern and interest.
Let me update this phenomenon tree.
Its flower buds were on 2/26/2014

Started opening on 3/1/2014

Full bloom on 3/9/2014

My area has been really hot and dry lately (it is not normal for this time of the year here). The tree started blooming again, but this time it does not have many flowers and the color patterns change a little. I took some pictures yesterday.

This year, it has 5 fruits. I like it because the fruits are on the branches gave different flower patterns to which I prefer. I hope they can produce a different color pattern seedling in the future. Let wait and see.

I hope you enjoy the flowering show! ;-)
Bonhe

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Brent from Evergreengardenworks has been starting to sell cuttings of the multi-color flower variety of Toyo Nishiki.

Ryan820

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
thanks for the update!!!!! Such a gorgeous plant.

My TN is blooming right now-- for the first time ever, it is beginning to display multi-colored blooms. Till now, it blooms white and often matures to a light pink-- but in this photo you can see a new bud is white and pink at the same time.

Toyonishiki (Japanese flowering quince). by oryan820, on Flickr

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
thanks for the update!!!!! Such a gorgeous plant.

My TN is blooming right now-- for the first time ever, it is beginning to display multi-colored blooms. Till now, it blooms white and often matures to a light pink-- but in this photo you can see a new bud is white and pink at the same time.

Toyonishiki (Japanese flowering quince). by oryan820, on Flickr

Thanks for sharing.
Yes, I can see it. Please update this type of flower if you could. Thanks
Bonhe

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
Talking about first time ever blooms, I think It's great learning how to raise new trees from seed. Great learning process. And yes there is a chance for some different bloom genetics.
BUT>>>> unfortunately it takes awhile (years) for the new starts to age enough to begin blooming. So Patience is a virtue.

After my training with Kyoshi seike on japanese gardening, I bought a Toyo that was about 35-40 years old imporrted from japan to plant at the entrance way to my garden I had just built. It bloomed white and pink. After about 20 years it started blooming red on one branch which I immediately tagged so I could get a start. (while pretty, I still like all three colors) Not just red only....

The immediate reward is to make starts from the mother plant that blooms regularly.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just harvested few fruits from the tree yesterday.
Bonhe

Attachments

• 10-12-14.JPG
    10-12-14.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 32

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is the first daughter of Mom! I took its pictures in 3/8/2014.
Bonhe

Attachments

• photo (12).JPG
    photo (12).JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 28
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 24
  • photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 20
  • photo (13).JPG
    photo (13).JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 19

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It was this afternoon. It is preparing for big show of flowers this year!
I am trying to learn which flower bud will give which color.
Bonhe

Attachments

• IMG_2497.jpg
    IMG_2497.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2505.jpg
    IMG_2505.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2503.jpg
    IMG_2503.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2500.jpg