My Toyo Nishiki (Flowering quince)

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My teacher let me have this special tree in 2010. It is still in plastic nursery pot. I intend to keep it as a main stock to multiply! Those pictures were taken this afternoon. I really love their flower varieties. It has 3 kinds of flowers: red, white, and white with red stripes. Looks awesome, doesn't it?
Bonhe

Attachments

• DSC_1821.jpg
    DSC_1821.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 511
  • DSC_1822.jpg
    DSC_1822.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 375
  • DSC_1823.jpg
    DSC_1823.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 353
  • DSC_1824.jpg
    DSC_1824.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 331
  • DSC_1825.jpg
    DSC_1825.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 328

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you Milehigh_7. Hope to see yours.
Bonhe

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
That's a super nice quince Bonhe! The different colors are spectacular! You need to put it in the ground and let it grow freely. Try to save me some cuttings will you? :)

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Beautiful! I have a couple Toyo Nishiki in the ground that I was trying to forget about and see if they ever decide to trunk up...Your flowers are nicer. They aren't nearly as dramatic clear in the back of the yard!

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's a super nice quince Bonhe! The different colors are spectacular! You need to put it in the ground and let it grow freely. Try to save me some cuttings will you? :)
Thanks Si. I may have to find a spot in my yard to put it in. I will remember you when I do cutting Si :)

Beautiful! I have a couple Toyo Nishiki in the ground that I was trying to forget about and see if they ever decide to trunk up...Your flowers are nicer. They aren't nearly as dramatic clear in the back of the yard!
Thank you Brian
Bonhe

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The colors on Toyo Nishikis are different than on all other quinces, and yours are very nice, Bonhe.

I also have a Toyo Nishiki. The buds are growing but it will be awhile--maybe March--before it blooms.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The colors on Toyo Nishikis are different than on all other quinces, and yours are very nice, Bonhe.

I also have a Toyo Nishiki. The buds are growing but it will be awhile--maybe March--before it blooms.
Thanks Fredtruck. Waiting to see yours.
Bonhe

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, really gorgeous colors on your quince! I don't think I've seen any with stripes on the flowers like an azalea before. Thanks for sharing.

For what it's worth, in terms of trunking up, Brent at evergreengardenworks says that flowering quince seem to trunk up in cans just as fast as in the ground.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, really gorgeous colors on your quince! I don't think I've seen any with stripes on the flowers like an azalea before. Thanks for sharing.

For what it's worth, in terms of trunking up, Brent at evergreengardenworks says that flowering quince seem to trunk up in cans just as fast as in the ground.
I also thought it was liked azalea! Thank for your information. I think I just let it be in the pot :p
Bonhe

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Today, I could see more than 3 kinds of flowers on this tree. Look at those!
Bonhe

Attachments

• DSC_1831.jpg
    DSC_1831.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 130
  • DSC_1832.jpg
    DSC_1832.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 139
  • DSC_1833.jpg
    DSC_1833.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 129
  • DSC_1834.jpg
    DSC_1834.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 126
  • DSC_1835.jpg
    DSC_1835.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 116

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
one more.
Bonhe

Attachments

• DSC_1836.jpg
    DSC_1836.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 95

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice! I'm jealous.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Just looked at quince closer. :( The Toyo Nishiki did not make it through summer. I lost my 'Hime' as well. :(

The ones that I have are doing very well:
'Iwai Nishiki'
Evergreen's 'Contorted Salmon Pink'
Evergreen's 'Not Minerva'

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just looked at quince closer. :( The Toyo Nishiki did not make it through summer. I lost my 'Hime' as well. :(

The ones that I have are doing very well:
'Iwai Nishiki'
Evergreen's 'Contorted Salmon Pink'
Evergreen's 'Not Minerva'
It's sad! You might have let it sit under the filtered sun light in the summer.
Bonhe

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Milehigh,

I lost a few of my first batch of quince I bought from Brent too. I now keep them in partial shade (particularly the Iwai Nishiki) and had zero losses. I also repot in the fall.

Last edited:

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
They were under shade... it happened when we had one last spike into 115+ right at the end of summer. I lost several of my favorites.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I neglected to say that it was not my first summer with these plants. We had a quite severe spike after the average temps had cooled significantly. They did fine through the worst of the summer. Believe me it only takes one careless day here to have a causality.

Often in the early fall we have very high winds and humidity in the single digits. Combine that with 115+ and you have a convection oven.

ianb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I love the colours on the Toyo Nishiki. Unfortunately I only have a small "no name" quince but it still looks great in flower - though I'm sure Bonhe would have taken a better photo;)

Attachments

• Quince.jpg
    Quince.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 158
Top Bottom