My tree fell out of it's pot :(

ianb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Nah, you guys should come out and study with him starting in June when his studio opens up. Learn from the man himself.... you guys would be doing the biggest favor to your bonsai skills more so than you could ever imagine or think is possible.

Jason,

So where would interested parties get more info on this?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Jason,

So where would interested parties get more info on this?

Ian...

From the sounds of it I expect that he will swoop back in at some future point to offer an advertising pitch. But we may have to wait with baited breath until then. :D

I'm basing this thought on the "Ok. Now I'm outta here. :)" portion of his last comment. There doesn't appear to be any web presence for it yet... so that will likely become available closer to the opening of the studio.

He will of course be at GSBF this year... which is cool.

Kindest regards,

Victrinia

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Miss Vick, do bonsai the way way you like and I will so bonsai the way you learned. What ever works for anyone person is the way to enjoy your hobby.

keep it green,
Harry

ianb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
You may be right Victrinia.

GSBF looks like it will be a blast, are you heading down?

I'm planning on going it would be worth it just to meet up with Peter Warren again but with all the other talent there it is not to be missed.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Miss Vick, do bonsai the way way you like and I will so bonsai the way you learned. What ever works for anyone person is the way to enjoy your hobby.

keep it green,
Harry

Exactly Harry... :D There's nothing wrong if you learn it one way from Marco... and I've learned it another way from Daniel... or if Jason learned it another way from Ryan... all that tells me is that there is no one path. Everyone has to do what's right for them, and poo-pooing someone else doesn't help anyone learn a thing.

As they say, the proof is in the puddin'... You've got some darn nice trees... and so does Marco, and Daniel... I have no idea what Ryan has, but I have to assume it's great. All I know is that means there's an aweful lot of nice trees around because of it. :cool:

Keepin' it green... and mostly green... and sometimes naked,

Victrinia

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You may be right Victrinia.

GSBF looks like it will be a blast, are you heading down?

I'm planning on going it would be worth it just to meet up with Peter Warren again but with all the other talent there it is not to be missed.

I booked my room at Santa Clara in December I believe... and bought my plane tickets in February. I would have already paid for my convention but they aren't allowing sign ups until July... as you well know. :D

Here in WA we are allowed to pay for our next convention during the current one. It works out nice... but your way is cool too. ;)

So needless to say, I will soooo be there. The hubby and I will enjoy hangin' out with our CA friends again... though next year we may skip GSBF in favor of REBS... which sucks because they make the BEST margaritas in Santa Rosa... :D But hey... you have to stay open to new things too... lol

Hope I'll get to buy you a drink...

Victrinia

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Oh go on then twist my arm:D:D You've obviously never met a Yorkshireman or you wouldn't need to ask.

Awesome! Someone who can keep up then... I think Bnut made the comment from last year's GSBF that it sounded like a bunch of people got together to go drinking and a bonsai convention broke out. May it be so again..................... lol

V

Yamadori

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
from last year's GSBF that it sounded like a bunch of people got together to go drinking and a bonsai convention broke out. May it be so again..................... lol

V

Shall we plan a NBW party night? Last year was fun, particularly when we came bustin into the convention hall soused, laughing, and ready for the dinner and auction. Darn food sobered us up. (No Al, you don't need to post the pictures:))

Last edited:

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Just wanted to add something so that people who have just started or have not been doing bonsai very long are not confused about what is being said here.....Any tree that is given a good root pruning and repotted must be tied into the pot... A newly root pruned or heavilly root pruned tree does not have much of a base, it tips and wobbles. You will never get a moderately or greater, root pruned tree to sit where you need it to on it's own. When a tree is repotted, sometimes it needs a tilt or a turn etc...and in order to make it sit and stay... The tree needs to be tied... This is not an opinion, but just the mechanics of it.. If something has had much of it's base removed, it is unstable....No, if you have a root bound tree and you remove the tree and put it in another pot, it will not move. However, if the tree is in that shape, it should be root pruned anyway...

rob

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Thanks Rob and Vic and everyone else who willingly teaches what they know. Your good will come back to you.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That is extremely good advice for the novice or anyone still getting the hang of their trees... When you are working with trees in the range of centuries old vs decades/years... the way things work sometimes changes. One isn't as drastic with them... but I also don't advocate for the novice working with centuries old trees unsupervised. ;)

As with so many things, material needs to be approached individually. There are some practices which work better with others than some... tieing-in vs. tieing-over, or not tieing at all is very dependant on the tree and the container. Anyone working with larger material should try and get some hands-on assistance when repotting them for the first time.

But as I said before... tieing-in is a good practice, especially for newer learners. :)

Kindest regards,

Victrinia

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Forgot this one myself, adds to Robs explanation, try to do some carving or jin/shari work or heavy wiring with a tree just held in by a couple pound of bonsai soil without a ton of roots, and you will very quickly understand the usefullness of tying you tree to the pot. There are a few exception here and there and if you need to ask what they are, you should prolly tie it in.:D

Good Luck on those dump out guys, hope they make it for you.

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Just wanted to add something so that people who have just started or have not been doing bonsai very long are not confused about what is being said here.....Any tree that is given a good root pruning and repotted must be tied into the pot... A newly root pruned or heavilly root pruned tree does not have much of a base, it tips and wobbles. You will never get a moderately or greater, root pruned tree to sit where you need it to on it's own. When a tree is repotted, sometimes it needs a tilt or a turn etc...and in order to make it sit and stay... The tree needs to be tied... This is not an opinion, but just the mechanics of it.. If something has had much of it's base removed, it is unstable....No, if you have a root bound tree and you remove the tree and put it in another pot, it will not move. However, if the tree is in that shape, it should be root pruned anyway...

rob

I can say I have sat them on the ground after root pruning them and they did just great! But this is Texas and they are Ficus and yup they sat there for a few weeks and started growing into the ground!

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Forgot this one myself, adds to Robs explanation, try to do some carving or jin/shari work or heavy wiring with a tree just held in by a couple pound of bonsai soil without a ton of roots, and you will very quickly understand the usefullness of tying you tree to the pot. There are a few exception here and there and if you need to ask what they are, you should prolly tie it in.:D

Good Luck on those dump out guys, hope they make it for you.

I should have made it clear that I tie all my trees down that are in bonsai pots or that will be subjected to heavy work. For stock I'm just growing out in nursery containers with little or no work save the occasional trim, I usually do not tie them in unless the trees don't have sufficient root masses to keep the tree anchored into the container.

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
With all the other crap being posted I felt it was time for some light hearted Bonsai...:D

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
See? I guess it wasn't such a dumb question after all now was it? :)

Thank you all for your replies. I have tied down the greenhouse and placed bricks around it and everything. It's not moving. Also, my trees won't be going anywhere for a while either.

Ryan

Top Bottom