My Trees - April 10, 2014

Gene Deci

Shohin
Reaction score
Here is a picture of many of my trees taken on April 10, 2014. I winter them over at that place in my back yard on purpose because it invariably drifts over, burying them in a nice comfy blanket of snow. But this is ridiculous! This winter we set a record for the most snow ever. And we are probably not done yet. Is there anyone else who still can't get to all their trees?

Oh well, bonsai is all about patience, isn’t it?

Attachments

• my trees April 10 2014.jpg
    my trees April 10 2014.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 182

SimonDuval

Yamadori
Reaction score
Same thing here, I'm buying pots, too many pots. Yamadori season will kick in a few weeks, I'll get some soil ready.

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I went to go check on things as we are having a great warm-up. Some trees are in a good melt zone. I'm about to have access to them, but the mulch has to melt as well. The second pick is a 4 foot high bench. I had to shovel it off to reveal the tops of some trees. and my ornament on my yard pine is also about 4.5 feet high.

Snow everywhere this year, probably not as much as you!! At least you don't have to worry about when to bring them out right now.

Soon Enough.

Attachments

• 2014-04-08 16.04.35.jpg
    2014-04-08 16.04.35.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 93
  • 2014-04-08 16.05.13.jpg
    2014-04-08 16.05.13.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 84
  • 2014-04-08 16.06.04.jpg
    2014-04-08 16.06.04.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 83

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I went to go check on things as we are having a great warm-up. Some trees are in a good melt zone. I'm about to have access to them, but the mulch has to melt as well. The second pick is a 4 foot high bench. I had to shovel it off to reveal the tops of some trees. and my ornament on my yard pine is also about 4.5 feet high.

Snow everywhere this year, probably not as much as you!! At least you don't have to worry about when to bring them out right now.

Soon Enough.

I see a weeping tree in that first photo...bonsai or lawn ornamental?

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I see a weeping tree in that first photo...bonsai or lawn ornamental?

That's my weeping tamarack. It's a bonsai. I have a large one in the ground. I also have a weeping curling tree.

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is a picture of many of my trees taken on April 10, 2014. I winter them over at that place in my back yard on purpose because it invariably drifts over, burying them in a nice comfy blanket of snow. But this is ridiculous! This winter we set a record for the most snow ever. And we are probably not done yet. Is there anyone else who still can't get to all their trees?

So how much snow did you get this year?

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sitting on a patio in 84 degree weather drinking a margarita responding to this post. Black pine needles are already opening at the house. :cool:

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sitting on a patio in 84 degree weather drinking a margarita responding to this post. Black pine needles are already opening at the house. :cool:

I used to live in McKinney, our only consolation is that in August, it will be 76 degrees and a cool breeze off of Lake Superior.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Same here...my JBP candles are about 4-6 inches long already. :cool: They are being grown so no decandling yet.

I used to live in McKinney, our only consolation is that in August, it will be 76 degrees and a cool breeze off of Lake Superior.

Of course there is that. You don't miss 110*F in August? ;)

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Hey Gene. Where in Northern Michigan do you live? I'm in Fairview in Oscoda county.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Yeah I laugh when I read that a tree is "full sun". Not here in a pot. Hope you guys thaw out soon as spring is so much fun in this hobby.

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Same here...my JBP candles are about 4-6 inches long already. :cool: They are being grown so no decandling yet.

Got you beat here... my leader JBP candles are at about 24 inches right now and the needles are starting to elongate... They're at about 3/4 in now.

Ian

Rose Mary

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
wow, feelin for you folks still dealing with snow.

Here in southern oregon things are really growing
and blooming. Cherry trees losing their blossoms ...
like its snowing :p daffodils long past ...
Cant keep the grass mowed....and the pollen keeps my truck covered with yellow..

Lots of trees needing my attention.
Spent a long time the other day just about getting everyone fed.
Maples leafing out :D

Rose
SW Oregon

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah I laugh when I read that a tree is "full sun". Not here in a pot. Hope you guys thaw out soon as spring is so much fun in this hobby.

Regional Advice for sure. My junipers and pines get full sun from 9am to 9pm. My cool temps allow for that so they are really happy. Full sun in Texas for 12 hours straight in august...might as well put them in an oven...their roots would be.

Gene Deci

Shohin
Reaction score
So how much snow did you get this year?

Officially 249.2 inches. I think the previous record was 202 inches. It was due to this Polar Vortex thing. Never happened before like it did this winter. You guys got a lot of that same phenomena too didn't you?

Top Bottom