My trees got rejected for the National Show!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Bill will usually write and tell you why...Needs more ramification, Too juvenile...etc...
Obviously, you haven't read the entire thread...

No, Bill told me last summer he wanted me to bring it. I am humbled, and honored. Is it the best tree I've ever seen? No, I know of several better JBP.

Funny, Bill stayed at my house when he visited Atlanta as a guest artist for the Atlanta Bonsai Society about 30 years ago. We were both much younger then! I'm glad to see how he has been able to have great success with his magazine, and the production of the National Show. Participating in this event has been a goal of mine, and I hope I will be able to have something worthy for the next one.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Bill will usually write and tell you why...Needs more ramification, Too juvenile...etc...

Nice to see you back here! Hope all is good!

Grimmy

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I hope I will be able to have something worthy for the next one.

You will, you just keep getting better. I have noticed on several occasions over the years you have done a fair amount of work on plants owned and submitted by others. Must be a good feeling to have your very own there.

Grimmy

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Oh, the epoxy glue is much more water resistant! Use it. You don't want it to dissolve away when you water the tree! Even better, cover the entire surface with it. It holds the tree in the pot nice and tight! You don't have to worry when your cat knocks it off your TV set! It won't spill dirt everywhere! Make sure to keep it dusted, nobody likes a bonsai with house dust! It's in Naka's Bonsai Techniques 3, page 13.

If the pot breaks when the cat knocks it off the TV, be sure to get some gold duct tape to repair it. MRB tells me that the added value of the gold offsets the lost value of a broken pot, so it doesn't really matter if the pot is broken or not...
Uh, everyone knows this is "tongue in cheek", right?

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, It WOULD do everything he indicated it would.......ya' know, sans air-exchange......:D
Some times certain truths don't show themselves over the intraweb.....:rolleyes:
Admit it, you sang into that hairdryer once or twice........:eek:
Now, please give me the name of the person whom stole my idea for gold duct tape....:mad:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Shit! I have to remove it? Damnit took 2 hours to get the resin to dry on everything with a blow dryer, house stinks, Wife is gonna freak! :p

Grimmy
Blow dryer! Great idea! I've seen Graham Potter go after his trees with a blow torch.

Oh wait!!! I've got it! Grimmy, you're a genius! Why didn't I think of this before????

Ok, everyone knows windswept is really hard to do, right? So... Step one: set up bonsai so you can blow it from the side using the blow dryer. Step 2: turn on blow dryer. Experiment with several setting to get the effect just right, then: Step 3 spray hairspray on the tree to "set" the limbs and leaves in position! I suggest Breck's Extra Hold. Should work like a charm!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Blow dryer! Great idea! I've seen Graham Potter go after his trees with a blow torch.

Oh wait!!! I've got it! Grimmy, you're a genius! Why didn't I think of this before????

Ok, everyone knows windswept is really hard to do, right? So... Step one: set up bonsai so you can blow it from the side using the blow dryer. Step 2: turn on blow dryer. Experiment with several setting to get the effect just right, then: Step 3 spray hairspray on the tree to "set" the limbs and leaves in position! I suggest Breck's Extra Hold. Should work like a charm!
Epoxy and a blow torch...awesome! Make sure to get a video, please!!

CHUCHIN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Obviously, you haven't read the entire thread...

No, Bill told me last summer he wanted me to bring it. I am humbled, and honored. Is it the best tree I've ever seen? No, I know of several better JBP.

Funny, Bill stayed at my house when he visited Atlanta as a guest artist for the Atlanta Bonsai Society about 30 years ago. We were both much younger then! I'm glad to see how he has been able to have great success with his magazine, and the production of the National Show. Participating in this event has been a goal of mine, and I hope I will be able to have something worthy for the next one.
OBVIOUSLY...

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It's good that Bill does that. He has been a great ambassador for bonsai and bonsai education for his entire career.

I hate to see that he has health issues that try to slow him down. But I see that he still very active and passionate about bonsai. He was (is) in the Philipines last week judging bonsai.

Top Bottom