My Ulmus Parvifolia #1

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I don't usually like cutting back my trees this time of year, I get some cold nasty winters here sometimes...more often than not.
Trees were frozen to the benches this morning...
So to avoid dieback and desiccation I usually do this kind of thing in late winter/ early spring, before buds open.

This tree was obtained from Meehan's Miniatures a couple of years ago.
It is an Ulmus Parvifolia, but the bark is rough, similar to an American Elm, it is not a Lacebark.
Some of you may remember the bark from the other thread where I air layered and chopped this tree.

Part of the reason I'm doing this work at this time of year is because I'm curious to see how it reacts compared to the top part that I layered off, which I won't touch till repotting time.

Can't wait to expose some nebari on this guy!!!
(Just letting some shoots at the bottom of the cut run.)

KIMG1513.JPGKIMG1514.JPGKIMG1515.JPGKIMG1516.JPGKIMG1517.JPGKIMG1518.JPGKIMG1519.JPGKIMG1520.JPGKIMG1521.JPGKIMG1522.JPG
KIMG1513.JPGKIMG1514.JPGKIMG1515.JPGKIMG1516.JPGKIMG1517.JPGKIMG1518.JPGKIMG1519.JPGKIMG1520.JPGKIMG1521.JPGKIMG1522.JPG

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you have an idea of how you want to grow this out, moving up from the chopped base? Are you growing the suckers from the chop just to help heal the wound? Or will you incorporate another trunk?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Do you have an idea of how you want to grow this out, moving up from the chopped base? Are you growing the suckers from the chop just to help heal the wound? Or will you incorporate another trunk?
I want to begin building the primary branches next...
Basically I want to begin a canopy next year, I have a couple of possible keepers there now for primaries but I may want others in the future.
As for the bits growing out of the chop point, I'm hoping that I can close the wound some day with their help...but I'm not overly optimistic about that...it'll probably be carved out some day....we'll see.

I'll probably use sacrifice branches to thicken the new main trunk over time....and exposing the nebari and future surface roots should make this a killer shohin sized tree....hopefully!.....I have faith.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I want to begin building the primary branches next...
Basically I want to begin a canopy next year, I have a couple of possible keepers there now for primaries but I may want others in the future.
As for the bits growing out of the chop point, I'm hoping that I can close the wound some day with their help...but I'm not overly optimistic about that...it'll probably be carved out some day....we'll see.

I'll probably use sacrifice branches to thicken the new main trunk over time....and exposing the nebari and future surface roots should make this a killer shohin sized tree....hopefully!.....I have faith.
Do you think if you carved it just enough to create a depression, it might roll over easier? I know these are vigourous as can be, so I am sure you will get it to close either way.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Do you think if you carved it just enough to create a depression, it might roll over easier? I know these are vigourous as can be, so I am sure you will get it to close either way.
I did actually do that a bit with spherical cutters... But I think next spring, at repotting time, I'll take a dremel to the edges and concave the whole thing better.
Over next year I should be able to determine if healing is a real possibility.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If it’s healthy, I’d cut back more harshly. It’s an elm, it’s gonna grow back well.. a few of the branches left over are just too long and without taper, movement or character.

Hell, get it healthy and vigorous and cut every branch off! It’ll back bud, they always do. Then you can create from scratch.

Top Bottom