My Ume I'm showing at BIB this weekend

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
What...no grey pebbles?? It's not ready for the show without grey pebbles, Adair!

Beautiful ume, by the way. Perfect timing is right!

One more thing...Channel 11 just did a live shot at Tallulah Falls at 6:30 Am...snow and sleet, my man!

Last edited:

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Looks great - picture at the show please! Safe travels as well, we canceled a local get away this weekend - rough out there :(

Grimmy

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the flower show!
You're welcome for the weather!

Gloomy weather makes the flowers that much more enjoyable!

Be safe!

Sorce

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That is a very nice way to wake up, by seeing this tree first thing in the morning. Thank you Adair, it's a lovely tree. So big! One thing I noticed that could use some refinement though is the carving. To me it looks too manmade. (would be hilarious if it turns out to be natural...:) )

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great, great tree.....
I like the first photo. It looks like you just helped deliver a foal!
Sans the mess.....:eek:
Really nice, great character.
Maybe a little trunk-splitter cuts towards the end of that long deadwood feature?
Pop a cork on some good vintage and enjoy!:D

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A bit of history on the tree: I've only owned it a year. I bought it from a BIB club member a year ago. I believe it was grown originally by Jim Gremel. It was I the pot when I bought it, so I take no credit for that.

Here's a couple pictures of it when I purchased it;

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I shortened the left trunk considerably in May. And wired it:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Then last October, I carved it a little:

image.jpeg

I admit to being a complete noob at carving. My first attempt, really. And it's really nice material, so I didn't do very much.

You don't lime sulphur Ume, you let it turn black naturally. You can stain it black with India ink, but I just let it go natural.

There will be more refinement to the deadwood to come. It looks pretty good for a first attempt, I think.

The flowers will forgive my poor carving!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The flowers will make this a "show stealer", but there's a camelia is that's equally nice, if not even better!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is a smart way to approach it. Believable carving isn't so easy and takes time to learn! Good job so far, and the tree is really nice material indeed.
Judy, I used one of Grahm Potter's "terrier" carving tools on this. Wow! It really cuts wood quickly. And it gets all over you!

I probably should have taken a blow torch to it to burn off the sharp edges. I wanted to see how it weathered first.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
A friend of mine has been trying to get me to dig up my landscape Ume and use it as bonsai. I've pretty much sloughed it off but your tree is starting to make me think twice about it. :D

Top Bottom