My Ume I'm showing at BIB this weekend

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Great tree Adair! Wondeful display as well. I agree with Judyhe only thing that catches my eye is the man-made look of the deadwood. But I know you're working on it :) When you get more courage, dig deep and make some nice depressions on that wood for more drama!
The deadwood looks like a kneeling dog, howling at the moon while the living ume rides it...just sayin'..don't have to agree but my $.02.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The deadwood looks like a kneeling dog, howling at the moon while the living ume rides it...just sayin'..don't have to agree but my $.02.
In person, the deadwood looks like a dragon. Four legs, wings, etc. the lighting for the photograph doesnt do it justice. Mach, the carving is deeper than it appears. They took professional pictures of it today. I'll see if I can get one they took and share it.

But, I will agree that the carving will look more natural as it ages. I just did this in October. Let's give it time to age and darken naturally. I only had time to spend about 30 minutes carving it, and I'd rather leave more wood on than take too much off. Especially on my first attempt.

By the way, I mentioned to Boon that the majority of the comments I've received about the display is that the trees are reversed. His response was that, yes, some might see it that way. But it really didn't matter. The primary focus of this display should be the flowers. I will say that the comments I heard from the people attending the show, seeing the display in person, most commented on the flowers. Very few mentioned they thought the tree was situated upon the wrong side. I think a lot of the depth is missing in the 2D photograph.

This display is the center display on the table, with other displays on each side of it. That might also lessen the "movement" issue.

Sorce, what other display table would you have chosen?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorce, what other display table would you have chosen?

If I had Bill V's selection? Lol!

I think only the upturned parts of these feet are the main culprits of the distraction.
So much so that of it were my budget, I'd cut em off sand em and stain em, and be happy there.

I see what you are saying about the flowers.....I think they get lost in the background.
So much so, that I'd love to see it in front of black!

Has me longing to smell a flower!

Sorce

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sorce,

I'll be sure to do that! I'm 3000 miles away from home, showing a tree at someone's show where they kindly offer me to use whatever stand they have that I find appropriate. "Oh! Here's one... Do you mind if I cut off the upturned parts of the feet of your Japanese stand? And, by the way, the backdrops don't really show off the flowers of my tree that well, I'd really prefer if you provided a black backdrop for me... You'll do that for me, right?"

Common Sorce, get real.

If you REALLY want to see this tree to its best advantage, put your Butt in an airplane seat and fly to the Botanical Gardens at Lake Merit in Oakland, CA. It will be on display from 10am to 4pm.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Get a smaller tool for the detail stuff, I use a dremel with the engraving attachment. You can work in much tighter spots, and since it's a bit slower, you can really see what you're doing before you go too far. There are good bits for these very much like the terrier as well as smaller router type bits.
There's a lot more work to be done. Dremmel work, wire wheel work, burning...

Graham Potter I'm not. Working on it, a little at a time.

Truely, I wasn't even planning to show it this year. But the flowers opened up in perfect timing for the show, so Boon told me to moss it.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not sure how well it would work for bonsai, but we used wire brush wheels and sand blasting to age carved deadwood.
We also used termites and a modified cattle prod. (Lightning strike details)
When?
Got any pictures?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I know of a tree that termites had eaten a lot of the deadwood. Not on purpose! They were discovered after the tree had been sold to the current owner, and the seller discovered them as he was preparing the tree for shipment!

image.jpeg

The termites "carved" the deadwood of this tree about 30 years ago!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
In person, the deadwood looks like a dragon. Four legs, wings, etc. the lighting for the photograph doesnt do it justice.?

Yeah, I can totally see that. After re-reading my post I'm glad you didn't take it as a dig as it wasn't intended negatively, just my Rorschach read. And by dog I was going Hound of the Baskervilles, not purse puppy; so dragon isn't a reach from where I was going. Anyway, super cool tree.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Common Sorce, get real.

So your question was sarcastic?
Rhetorical?

Because that was a rude ass response.
That show shouldn't be so stressful!

How bout asking the person if they have another stand that looks more like the one I suggested?
Because those feet are taking away from the tree. That's not IMO. Or if it is.....my opinion is golden.

"If it were my budget", means I would have only that stand for that tree and I would have to make it work....so I would do that......yes, to that stand, because it would work better.

And I only suggested a black background so people could visualize it different and stop riding you like a whore mare, about how it looks wrong.
If you could possibly get an actual photo,
All the better for US.

Just because you all jump when Boon says,
Well, I'm not Boon, just thinking creatively.
Doing exactly what I say is not a requirement, especially when YOU know it is impossibly stupid.

Now we missed the boat on a more appropriate stand because Boon has you'se trained to ONLY do exactly.

Oh I'm real! You are welcome to get here too! But he may have to change it to....

Extensive.

Sorce

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So your question was sarcastic?
Rhetorical?

Because that was a rude ass response.
That show shouldn't be so stressful!

How bout asking the person if they have another stand that looks more like the one I suggested?
Because those feet are taking away from the tree. That's not IMO. Or if it is.....my opinion is golden.

"If it were my budget", means I would have only that stand for that tree and I would have to make it work....so I would do that......yes, to that stand, because it would work better.

And I only suggested a black background so people could visualize it different and stop riding you like a whore mare, about how it looks wrong.
If you could possibly get an actual photo,
All the better for US.

Just because you all jump when Boon says,
Well, I'm not Boon, just thinking creatively.
Doing exactly what I say is not a requirement, especially when YOU know it is impossibly stupid.

Now we missed the boat on a more appropriate stand because Boon has you'se trained to ONLY do exactly.

Oh I'm real! You are welcome to get here too! But he may have to change it to....

Extensive.

Sorce
Sorce,

I'm not trying to be rude, just trying to get you to understand that the objections and suggestions you made about the stand and the backdrop are just totally unreasonable.

My tree is only one of 114 trees on display. It is nowhere near being one of the nicest trees, but the flowers are spectacular.

There are about 30 people who are members of the club that put on this show. They constructed all the backdrops several years ago that they reuse every year for this show. They also store all the tablecloths and, table skirting, mats, etc. All this stuff is loaded on to trucks and brought to the building the day before the show and has to be constructed.

Then, there's the trees. They all have to get loaded onto a truck and brought over.

Then, there's the stands. Boon owns a huge number of stands. Of all sizes and shapes. Yes, the other members own some, too, and most are happy to bring what they have and let others borrow them during the show.

The thing is, you never quite know in advance exactly what all might be needed, you might need some tall ones, round ones, dark ones, light ones, large, small, plain, ornate... So you bring them all.

So, each tree was on a stand. That's 114 stands. There were probably another 50 stands taken to the venue that were not selected for use this year. (Not to mention all the little slabs and jittas necessary for the accessory plants.). But that means there were approximately 200 fine quality display stands available.

Most are rectangular. A few were round. Some members choose to use their own stands for their own trees. That's understandable. So, I needed to borrow a fairly large, somewhat tall, round stand. I'm amazed there was one, pretty much the exact size I needed. The little feet you are objecting to didn't bother me in the least. I was really happy to have found a stand that fit so well!

Do you have any idea how much a stand like that might cost? An imported Jspanese stand? They generally run about $300. Some less, some more. For an event where it MIGHT be used one weekend a year, someone owns and stores a stand. I'm really greatful they had it. And were willing to share it.

Same with the backdrops. And the blue felt. Gee, Sorce, I was just happy to be allowed to participate! I'm not going to be complaining about the stand (which I thought fit perfectly) or anything.

I know you thought you were being cute making silly comments about cutting the feet off the stand... But, it also tells me that you really haven't ever done it yourself. It's easy to be an armchair quarterback. You'll find that playing offensive line is a lot more difficult than it appears to be on TV.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
silly comments

See that's just it....

I was only presenting an honest visual, to what I thought an honest question.
Not really being silly at all.

Because also, I like to assume this tree can be there in 10 years, so I work towards the POSSIBLE!

If I cut those feet off, I have 4 pieces to work on matching stain.
8 if I use half of the exposed.
16 if I split em up.

That'll give me plenty of chances to match the stain.
Everything, else is easy.

Funny, I saw an armchair on the side of the road this morning, shoulda took a picture.

I sure as Hell don't own an armchair.

Sorce

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ok, Sorce!!

I'm looking forward to the day you put some trees in a show!

By the way, you should have been there at the "Celebration Dinner" Saturday night. Silliness reigned!

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
In person, the deadwood looks like a dragon. Four legs, wings, etc. the lighting for the photograph doesnt do it justice.

Honest it looks good! I did notice the "dragon" style and liked it. I did not mention it as I did not want to cause conflict if that was not your purpose. Once that piece has some of that wood refined I feel it is going to be a real stunner, at least in my eyes.

Grimmy

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
One thing that cannot be captured in the pictures is the fragrance of the flowers. Both Adair's Ume and the one that Jim Gremel had in the sales section smelled really nice.

Andrew Robson

Shohin
Reaction score
Ok, Sorce!!

I'm looking forward to the day you put some trees in a show!

By the way, you should have been there at the "Celebration Dinner" Saturday night. Silliness reigned!

We like the, "work hard, play hard" mentality... :)

Andrew Robson

Shohin
Reaction score
Adair, I loved seeing your Ume at the show! Nearly every person that walked by it commented on the pretty flowers. They were for sure the dominant feature, and I agreed with the way you displayed it.

Also, nobody was focused on the blue skirts, just the amazing trees. (In person the blue skirts did what they were supposed to do. Not be noticed or distract from the trees. I thought the color was quite effective at achieving this.)

If you haven't been to a BIB show, it's definitely worth the trip!

mach6

Sapling
Reaction score
You don't lime sulphur Ume, you let it turn black naturally. You can stain it black with India ink, but I just let it go natural.

beautiful tree! do you know who has it now? i remember reading somewhere that you sold/traded it?

@Adair M i'm sorry to bring up this old thread. can I ask if you might please be willing to share more information about ink staining? my google searches with the word "ink" keep bringing up a lot of ink-drawings of ume instead of the information i actually want to find!

i'm guessing the ink is diluted in water, but is there a concentration range that is 'safe' (can it be 'too strong'?). Does Sumi ink work? (this is what i have on hand because i use it to stain sphagnum moss for top dressing). Is it applied with a rag? a paintbrush? i'm guessing it isn't spayed?

after reading this i went back through a bunch of exhibition photos from japan, and noticed that deadwood on ume is never as white as it is on a juniper! really fun discovery this morning--this had never clicked for me before! thanks for this thread @Adair M !

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
beautiful tree! do you know who has it now? i remember reading somewhere that you sold/traded it?

@Adair M i'm sorry to bring up this old thread. can I ask if you might please be willing to share more information about ink staining? my google searches with the word "ink" keep bringing up a lot of ink-drawings of ume instead of the information i actually want to find!

i'm guessing the ink is diluted in water, but is there a concentration range that is 'safe' (can it be 'too strong'?). Does Sumi ink work? (this is what i have on hand because i use it to stain sphagnum moss for top dressing). Is it applied with a rag? a paintbrush? i'm guessing it isn't spayed?

after reading this i went back through a bunch of exhibition photos from japan, and noticed that deadwood on ume is never as white as it is on a juniper! really fun discovery this morning--this had never clicked for me before! thanks for this thread @Adair M !
You can dilute the lime sulfur with water, then add India ink. It’s applied with a paint brush.

You will have to test your mixture to see what proportions work best.

And Jose Garcia owns it now.

Top Bottom