my Ume

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It just started blooming few days ago. I really love its fragrance!
This year it has lot of flowers comparing to the previous year since I know how to take care of it in my hot dry area. Enjoy it! Bonhe

Attachments

• DSC_0339.jpg
    DSC_0339.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 677
  • DSC_0337.jpg
    DSC_0337.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 513
  • DSC_0342.jpg
    DSC_0342.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 476

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Aged branch burst fourth
Winters fragrant soft flower
Spring is in the air

I don't have an Ume to enjoy but I have this scroll of the ume bursting fourth under winter moon. Beautiful trees this time of year thanks for sharing.

Attachments

• DSC_00080001.JPG
    DSC_00080001.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 372
  • DSC_00120001.JPG
    DSC_00120001.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 350
Last edited:

crhabq

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice. It's nice to see a bloom at this time of the year. Thanks for sharing, it makes me look forward to when spring comes to my neck of the woods.
Thanks,
Ray

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice!

ericN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
a very nice ume specimen, love the mature bark.

eric

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Bonhe,

I just noticed that you are in Zone 11:confused: How hard is it to keep an Ume in that zone? I'm in Zone 9 and thought that it would be difficult to keep an Ume here let alone Zone 11.

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Hi Bonhe, nice ume!!! I know you had this tree for a long time already, but how do you keep it alive in zone 11? Is it all white flower?
Some critiques though if you don't mind. The pot color might be too strong contrast for such delicate flowers. May be a lighter blue, or green, or brown color pot would be better. I would suggest planting it in the middle of the pot too, or even a little more to the right side.
Thanks for sharing the ume!
Si

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Aged branch burst fourth
Winters fragrant soft flower
Spring is in the air

I don't have an Ume to enjoy but I have this scroll of the ume bursting fourth under winter moon. Beautiful trees this time of year thanks for sharing.
Hi Smoke, you have very nice scroll. I like it.

Very nice. It's nice to see a bloom at this time of the year. Thanks for sharing, it makes me look forward to when spring comes to my neck of the woods.
Thanks,
Ray

a very nice ume specimen, love the mature bark.

eric
Hi Ray and Eric, thanks for your kind words.

Hi Bonhe,

I just noticed that you are in Zone 11:confused: How hard is it to keep an Ume in that zone? I'm in Zone 9 and thought that it would be difficult to keep an Ume here let alone Zone 11.

Hi Bonhe, nice ume!!! I know you had this tree for a long time already, but how do you keep it alive in zone 11? Is it all white flower?
Some critiques though if you don't mind. The pot color might be too strong contrast for such delicate flowers. May be a lighter blue, or green, or brown color pot would be better. I would suggest planting it in the middle of the pot too, or even a little more to the right side.
Thanks for sharing the ume!
Si
Hi Ryan and Si, thanks for comments. Si, I don't mind your critiques. It's a learning process for me. Yes, I need to change its position in the pot in the next repotting.
How to keep it alive and blooming in my area? It is secret :) Even my teacher was also surprised when I brought it to him. This is a story: when I got it from one of my old friends in 11/2007, it had few flowers in 2/2008. Then I let it stayed in the full sun all Spring and Summer 2008 (Attention: I placed it in the east side of the garden, that means it only received the morning sun). About 7/2008, its leaves started to be burnt badly and dried off. I thought it died at that time, but surprisingly, it had very few flowers in 2/2009. Last year, I realized that it didn't like full sun in my area even in the Spring time, so, I placed it under the landscape tree which provided scattered sunlight through its leaves from 5/2009. It result was that my tree still had a green leaves up to 12/2009 and I had to remove its leaves!:) I think because its leaves were still good all summer, it produced enough energy for this year flowering show. Besides that, I have been changing its soil every year. My teacher told me that never reused the old soil since it liked the new soil. This morning, before I got to work, I took picture of it. It's having more flowers. I think I will have an excellent year :) Bonhe

Attachments

• DSC_0340.jpg
    DSC_0340.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 352

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
wow, it is almost 2 years since the last post! Time is flying very fast!
This year, it has a lot of flowers! It started blooming in 12/31/2011.
It was pictured this morning. Enjoy!
Bonhe

Attachments

• DSC_0126.jpg
    DSC_0126.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 349
  • DSC_0127.JPG
    DSC_0127.JPG
    173.5 KB · Views: 314
  • DSC_0099.JPG
    DSC_0099.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 282
  • DSC_0107.JPG
    DSC_0107.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 264
  • DSC_0104.JPG
    DSC_0104.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 258

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This afternoon, I took more pictures

Attachments

• DSC_0138.JPG
    DSC_0138.JPG
    145.1 KB · Views: 278
  • DSC_0139.JPG
    DSC_0139.JPG
    148.1 KB · Views: 265
  • DSC_0140.JPG
    DSC_0140.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 245
  • DSC_0142.JPG
    DSC_0142.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 235
  • DSC_0143.JPG
    DSC_0143.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 230

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nice ume thanks for sharing. I know this is an old piece of the thread but that is a very nice scroll Al shared.

rock

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Bonhe,

maybe be a typo, or possibly not , Id like to visit that little slice of the tropics in Riverside ;)
http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/ushzmap.html

Very cool tree, !

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Oh to only get as cold as 25, just made 40 here today and I drove around with the windows down, beautifull day.

Yes the word is jelous.
Bohne, the more I see of these the more I like them, yours is a nice tree, thanks for the look.

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
That's a very nice ume! Thanks for the update. Mine are flowering already too. We had a mini heat wave 2-3 weeks ago when it got up to 80 something and sunny, and the buds are now popping everywhere. What kind of soil mix do you have yours in? I need to pot one of mine soon.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
maybe be a typo, or possibly not , Id like to visit that little slice of the tropics in Riverside ;)
http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/ushzmap.html

Very cool tree, !
It's not typo! Si Nguyen knows my area very well. Can you believe that there is a full satsuki garden in the heart of Riverside, CA? It has a secret to grow those plants here ;-)

That's a very nice ume! Thanks for the update. Mine are flowering already too. We had a mini heat wave 2-3 weeks ago when it got up to 80 something and sunny, and the buds are now popping everywhere. What kind of soil mix do you have yours in? I need to pot one of mine soon.
Thanks Si. Can you post your ume? I like to see it. Thanks.
I use pumice: pine bark with ratio 3:1.
Today, I think my ume's reaching its top.
Enjoy
Bonhe

Attachments

• DSC_0158.JPG
    DSC_0158.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 228
  • DSC_0160.JPG
    DSC_0160.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 227
  • DSC_0161.JPG
    DSC_0161.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 232
  • DSC_0168.JPG
    DSC_0168.JPG
    176.2 KB · Views: 313

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
That's an interesting soil mix Bonhe. How long have you had it grown in that?
Your area is hot as hell in the summer, but I am not so sure it is zone 11, at least not consistently zone 11. Your nice ume would have died a slow death by now if it had not gotten some cold temperature for dormancy. 2-3 hot winters and they get exhausted.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's an interesting soil mix Bonhe. How long have you had it grown in that?
Your area is hot as hell in the summer, but I am not so sure it is zone 11, at least not consistently zone 11. Your nice ume would have died a slow death by now if it had not gotten some cold temperature for dormancy. 2-3 hot winters and they get exhausted.
It has been in this mix for 2 years. This year, I'll repot it again. My area is in zone 11 or at least more than zone 10! See this link. Remember, Ontario is not as hot as mine http://www.plantmaps.com/interactive-california-usda-plant-zone-hardiness-map.php
Hehe, my area in winter time, temp could go down to 40 degree F for few month (at night) which is enough for dormancy (I have cherry, persimon, early flowering peach, jubile, Japanese maple which are doing fine here for about 10 years already. Remember, pick up the site to raise those tree is secret!
Bonhe

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I want to bring this post up again! :)
Its flower buds are swelling at this time. This year, it will bloom early as the year 2011. I recognize its bloom depends on Lunar Year.

I will update this tree soon.
Bonhe

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm looking forward to it! Mine looks like it will bloom early too.

Top Bottom