My upgraded indoor tropical enclosure

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
So my indoor set up for my tropicals would not fit my trees this year so I had to build a new enclosure.
It is 6 feet long 30 inches deep and 34 inches hight. I had to build it that high for a Ficus project I'm working on.
I am using the same 576 watt salt water coral light strip I used last year along with two 48 inch 2 bulb T-8 strips. I will probably end up swapping the T-8 for T-5 and possibly adding two more T-5 strips.
I will probably add reflective material to keep the light in and though the enclosure is sealed and heated I think I will put a sheet of foam insulation under it to keep the cool concrete from transferring into the pots. I will also be adding pea gravel or something to the inside of the enclosure so the roots will have something to grow into when they come out of the bottoms of the pots as they do every year.
Now it's just a waiting game till the the temperatures drop. If it comes like the summer did this year it will happen over night. And I already see the forecast is calling for a few nights this week to drop into the 50s.

IMG_3719.jpgIMG_3720.jpg

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks good, it will be great for your trops. It would also make a good place to dessicate a body if you ever decide to murder someone, once dry it could then be ground and spread as fertilzer for your plants. :p

ed

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hey Kev, how much did that build cost you? I've been trying to get the go-ahead from my fiance to build one just like it, but I'm having trouble convincing her it'll be cheap. lol

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
You may want to end up replacing the roof with plexiglass. I used to have a couple boxes with the same kind of roof as yours has here, but then I switched over to plexiglass and found that a lot more light gets let through.

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Ryan, how much did yours cost again? I tried looking for the thread but I couldn't find it.

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Looks like "PVC was on sale and I got it all for $10. What a steal, right?" If you know what I mean. . . . ;)

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Alex
Mine didn't cost me anything. Being a plumber I get my material free as it was left over from a job. I made it all out of 1 inch PVC.
But to guess I'd say $100-$130 including the clear plastic.
The lights are not figured into the est.

I agree Ryan and I had plexiglas on my other enclosure. But the sheet I'd need to cover the top would cost more than $100. So I'm really not worried about it. The amount of light shining through the plastic hurts my eyes to look at it.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Alex
Mine didn't cost me anything. Being a plumber I get my material free as it was left over from a job. I made it all out of 1 inch PVC.
But to guess I'd say $100-$130 including the clear plastic.
The lights are not figured into the est.

I agree Ryan and I had plexiglas on my other enclosure. But the sheet I'd need to cover the top would cost more than $100. So I'm really not worried about it. The amount of light shining through the plastic hurts my eyes to look at it.

Shoot that much for a piece of plexiglass? I get 4 foot long pieces from Lowes for $30.

Joedes3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a 55 gallon fish tank that I am thinking about using this winter. Last year, I just used two shop lights with no enclusure but like your set up.

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I have a 55 gallon fish tank that I am thinking about using this winter. Last year, I just used two shop lights with no enclusure but like your set up.
I have an empty 125 gal tank I used. But my trees won't fit in it this year. Reason or the upgrade :eek:

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Shoot that much for a piece of plexiglass? I get 4 foot long pieces from Lowes for $30.
Ryan my enclosure is 6 foot long and 30 inches wide. I would have to buy a 4X8 sheet and cut it to fit. But the bigger problem is the 1/16 or 1/8 inch thick stuff home depot and lowes carry won't work. I have tried it before when I broke the glass canopy on my fish tank. It warps from the heat of the light. So I would have to buy the 1/4 inch thick plexiglas or possible thicker. Otherwise the edges will end up rolling up.
I need to figure something else out though.
Oh I also put that Mylar bubble wrap around the enclosure today. That should help some. Man I'd love to have a light meter!!

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Looks great, I also need to start planning a similar setup for my trees this winter. I'm thinking much smaller though, just 24 inches wide.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I made a couple that fit in the windows because I am fortunate to have 18 inch thick stone wall construction - the pics show how I used the same type pvc support but i wanted to show you the use of sash chain which allows me to raise and lower the lights. The light units are 24 inch and are a remarkable value at Wal-Mart. They are grow lights and complete with a bulb they are under 12 dollars each.

One is enclosed for the Tropicals and the other is left open as those plants don't need the same type of moisture. Clear shower curtain seemed to work well and is very inexpensive. I think they look arite and most people that see them thought they were a store purchase.

Attachments

• GEDC0989.jpg
    GEDC0989.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 19
  • GEDC0990.jpg
    GEDC0990.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 16
  • GEDC0991.jpg
    GEDC0991.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 20

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Looks good Grim! Lucky you having windows big enough to house them. I don't get enough light to try this nor enough window space for all the plants.
I have a similar chain set up for my lights also.

Joedes3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What section, in Walmart, did you find the lights? Plants or electrical. I like those lights.

Joe

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Those lights are in the Electrical section and also available online through Wal-Mart - BONUS - they use only 17 watts each and honest it is cheaper to replace the unit then the bulb in it - I have both of those on a single timer and nothing heats up or causes a problem. :) Here is the link to the exact product there http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lights-of-America-24-Fluorescent-Grow-Light-Fixture/16879945

Top Bottom