My White Spruce

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't usually fool around with spruce too much. Even though I probably know more about these trees from working with them at a landscape nursery than most of the other trees I work with.
So when I saw this one I figured I would give it a go. I'll need to chase some foliage back but these backbud on old wood with proper new growth manipulation.
Of course all it gets this year is sun,water and fertilizer. Just settling in.2015-05-09 15.01.19.jpg 2015-05-09 15.01.47.jpg 2015-05-09 15.00.55.jpg

Attachments

• 2015-05-09 15.01.19.jpg
    2015-05-09 15.01.19.jpg
    372.9 KB · Views: 60

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Spruce are pretty fun material-I killed a few in the past learning what they do and don't like. I now have a blue,tolleymore, and a birdsnest spruce. They back bud pretty ez'ly-just give it lots of sun and fertilizer, and if it wasn't repotted this year pinch new growth once it's reach about an inch or so.Right before it hardens off and that should help it back bud more. Looks like tough material but could be something interesting for sure.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Next year I'll be going at it like a Christmas tree. If you really want one to back bud you cut back into last year's growth.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi Mike, I would clean up this tree tree. I would cut all the small dead branches off. The thin branches sticking out from everywhere that have no foliage should be removed. Next, I would remove any plant debree and leaves from other plants also clean away the ground cover. I recommend doing this soon. Cleaning up the tree itself with allow more light and air to circulate through the foliage. Also, removing the debris will help minimize pests and disease. Also, you will be able to see the soil to gauge watering needs.

Rob

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Mike, I would clean up this tree tree. I would cut all the small dead branches off. The thin branches sticking out from everywhere that have no foliage should be removed. Next, I would remove any plant debree and leaves from other plants also clean away the ground cover. I recommend doing this soon. Cleaning up the tree itself with allow more light and air to circulate through the foliage. Also, removing the debris will help minimize pests and disease. Also, you will be able to see the soil to gauge watering needs.

Rob

Yeah. Laziness is a terrible thing to waste though. I've actually done the clean up since I took the picture. In fact after I looked at the picture and saw what you saw I went through and weeded and cleaned up all of my trees.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Yeah. Laziness is a terrible thing to waste though. I've actually done the clean up since I took the picture. In fact after I looked at the picture and saw what you saw I went through and weeded and cleaned up all of my trees.

Ya, it happens to all of us:) Also, not sure if you are looking for some direction for this tree. However, there are some things worth mentioning. This tree is very week, it should be allowed to grow untouched for at least a year or maybe 2. Basically no pinching or anything. Trying to chase back the growth now would severely weaken the tree. Also, you probably will not get a lot of new growth on the trunk or the long branches. I think that in the years down the road when it is ready, you are more or less going to be working with the same areas that you have now.

Rob

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I plan on letting it sit for at least a year. There are 2 smaller branches growing out of the trunk now. In a couple years if it doesn't take to back budding I will cut back to them. Then it's go or blow.
I hate to let the tree killer side of me show here because it may cause some alarm but there are more where this came from. Literally thousands. If this one doesn't make it well......

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I recently moved one of the Weeping Blue Atlas Cedar from the farm to the front landscape where the Yew used to be. I was taking care of them(lovingly bending and keeping upright to a little over 6 foot) for 4 years bagged in the dirt behind one barn. The last two years they were stiff and holding bends so I let them be to grow - 0 care. When I picked one up I noticed all 6 had critters eating the fresh lowest foliage which I wanted to grow out to fill in the base some.:confused: My first thought was to trim off all the branches and live with it BUT in just a few days that old stuff has started to bud - Happy I waited... Here is a couple of not great pictures but an example of patience even though landscape...

Grimmy

Attachments

• GEDC1496.JPG
    GEDC1496.JPG
    407.7 KB · Views: 74
  • GEDC1497.JPG
    GEDC1497.JPG
    552 KB · Views: 70
  • Target Yew 03242015b.JPG
    Target Yew 03242015b.JPG
    449.7 KB · Views: 74

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The one you're hugging in the last picture really took off!

Top Bottom