my willow cutting!

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Took a large willow branch and cut in to 3. That was 2... yes 2 days ago and there are already roots showing! I love willows.

One has some nice turns in the bottom of it. Hoping it will make it look older one's the root come in good. The other 2 are straight as a stick... heheh..

Attachments

• 20151019_125638.jpg
    20151019_125638.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 102
  • 20151019_125703.jpg
    20151019_125703.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 100

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Willows are awsome if you have any other cuttings around toss em in there the natural hormone from the willow will help other cuttings take faster

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ya man i love them.. I have two i started last year but i didn't know you could start them so big so there maby the size of a pencil now. but they will be really nicely shaped ones they are larger.

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So it's been about a month since I cut these guys and put them in water..

As far is a know they have good root growing? And some leaves starting on the tops.

Any ideas on how long I should wait before putting them in dirt?

And ones they are should I just let them grow for a few years before I really start doing any thing to them as far a styling /pruning

Attachments

• 20151119_175829.jpg
    20151119_175829.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 74

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bumpy micbump!

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
They appear to have enough roots to be planted I usually don't even allow my willow cuttings to get that far before I pot them up.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
(Is this thing on) (whhhhhhhfffph)

I'll tell you the same thing I told this dude.

Except you are way cooler!

Brennen, (touched to save)

Here's my willow story. Dug one, had it a year, cut the roots some, they went black, and it pushed new ones.

I through it out.

Being that they root from any size cutting, I'd take a cutting that looks like a bonsai. Fat trunk, bark, taper, maybe a couple branches.

Have fun with these, but go find A prize to root in spring!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

And.......your definition of.....
"Fun with these" is highly likely to be seriously different then dude's.
I'm watching.

Ooooh that smell!

Sorce

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lol thanks guys! I'll find something interesting to do with them...

I like the satin horns the guy was talking about doing on one of the other threads...

Or maby I can dread the branches and do a rosta man theme...

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Something like this....

Attachments

• 2015-11-20-18-52-03--1255781581.jpg
    2015-11-20-18-52-03--1255781581.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 71

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Took a large willow branch and cut in to 3. That was 2... yes 2 days ago and there are already roots showing! I love willows.
One has some nice turns in the bottom of it. Hoping it will make it look older one's the root come in good. The other 2 are straight as a stick... heheh..
Did you use rooting hormone? And in which season? Did you clean the water / or any other action that must be taken? I also want to do this because it's awesome (and free).

Reaction score
USDA Zone
No need to use rooting hormone to root willow cuttings, some people make a homemade rooting hormone with the water that the cutting has been sitting it. Willow root very easily in my experience. Just grab a bucket and a big fat branch. I have never had a branch not grow roots just sitting in a bucket of water.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How about a controlled bucket of water......

Like so only the bottom 1/4inch is wet. So you don't get it sending out BS roots higher.

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good point Sorce, you will get roots all over if you don't "control" your bucket a little. I've seen people use styrofoam and put the branch through it at the right height.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hard to see much from this picture but I wanted to show that older branches can root well and fill a pot with roots in one season. This tree's container sits in another container that keeps about 1/2'' of water in it. The pic was taken this fall and the branch was cut off of a tree I was pruning for a customer this spring. This branch had no foliage at all on it when rooted.

Attachments

• image (51).jpeg
    image (51).jpeg
    305.6 KB · Views: 57

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ooohhh I like that one!

I think they answer all your questions for ya... thanks guys!

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey I have 4 very small ones taped together to see if they would fuse. ... any idea how long that would take for a willow to do something like this?

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hard to see much from this picture but I wanted to show that older branches can root well and fill a pot with roots in one season. This tree's container sits in another container that keeps about 1/2'' of water in it. The pic was taken this fall and the branch was cut off of a tree I was pruning for a customer this spring. This branch had no foliage at all on it when rooted.
A nice tree this one is.;) Big problem with at least weeping willow is the fast growth of roots/often re potting needed. Also ones I've had blighted and died. Would not keep branches well.:eek:

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hey I have 4 very small ones taped together to see if they would fuse. ... any idea how long that would take for a willow to do something like this?
I couldn't say how fast they'll fuse but ground growing will make them do it pretty quick.

Top Bottom