My Winter Greenhouse With Photo Updates

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thank you.

Thank you very much.

There;'s also a lot more details in my previous posts within this thread.

I've been trying to post this text since last night to accompany the photos in my previous post, BUT the BN site wasn't working...

It’s coming along, slowly but surely. Lol...

I decided to also put the same 4” Rigid EPS insulation on the floor (but with a reflective coating facing up), over the anti-critter 1/2” x 1/2” hardware cloth.
Then I’m running PEX tubing over the EPS, then some sort of rock/gravel with large dark colored walking stones/pavers over that.

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
NOW I’m am seriously considering Phase Change Material (PCM), so I spoke with a PCM manufacturer today. VERY interesting stuff, which will also save a TON of space.
He’s sending a couple samples, and a price quote.

Thanks Again,
Ben

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Make sure you're sitting down when you look at the quote.

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Still having issues logging in to BNut, since last week.

Regarding phase change material, I'm getting prices of $3.50 per square foot, for less than 500 sq.ft..
Not a bad deal at all.
Samples should arrive in a few days.
At only 1/4" thick, it's a HUGE space saver.

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hi All,
I hope everyone is staying safe, and enjoying their Bonsai.
I like many others, have been working throughout these crazy times.

Fortunately, I've been able to spend some time on the greenhouse build.
For those still interested, here's an update along with a few progress photos.

The Hearthstone Brown siding is basically finished, with the exception of a couple small final touches.
I installed drip molding at the very bottom of the siding, as I installed the siding.
I will be trimming the roof shingles a bit.

I installed 300' of 3/4" PEX tubing, in hope of heating the GH with a Solar powered water heater.
Might not even use the PEX, but at least it'll be there, IF I DO want to utilize it.

Still unsure about using phase change material. I received the samples and they leave a lot to be desired, but it ain't over YET. LOL...

I rented a small excavator for 1 day and I dug as close as I could to the greenhouse, to install the vertical rigid insulation. I still had to do a bunch of hand digging with a shovel though, as you can only get so close with an excavator. I also dug a 120’ trench from my work-shop to the GH, for the electrical run.
The 4” thick x 24” wide x 8’ long rigid insulation is buried vertically around the perimeter of the GH. The buried insulation is encased in pea gravel, to create somewhat of an air-gap between the insulation and dirt, as well as aid in drainage.
Next will be horizontally burying the 4” x 48” x 8’, as a Swedish Skirt, also to be surrounded by pea gravel (and possibly covered with heavy plastic). It’ll be perpendicular to the vertical 4” insulation, with a slight pitch away from the Greenhouse.

I glazed approximately 1/2 of the East & West walls and all of the South wall with 5MM Solexx. I overlapped the glazing by about 5” on the South wall, to aid in rain/snow run-off and sealing it. I’ll most likely be adding 2 x 4 cross-beams at the overlaps, and securing the glazing to them as well.
As per the manufacturer’s instructions, I sealed the ends of the Solexx with 100% silicone caulking.
I still have to cut-out and complete the South wall vents that will be powered with UniVents that work on temperature and bee's-wax filled cylinders. Before I cut them, I’m looking at ways of sealing the vents.
I'll also have a temperature controlled electric powered exhaust fan high up on the East wall, as well as TWO intake vents LOW on the West wall. The intakes vents will be connected directly to the exhaust vent.
I initially placed pavers inside... Then I purchased 2700 pounds of large natural stepping-stones (only .10/lb.), that I'll probably be using instead of the pavers.
Thank you for following my greenhouse build.

Until next time…
Ben

Attachments

• PEX .jpg
    PEX .jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 74
  • PEX 7.jpg
    PEX 7.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 76
  • Initial Pavers.jpg
    Initial Pavers.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 4 Inch x 24 Inch  Vertically Buried EPS.jpg
    4 Inch x 24 Inch Vertically Buried EPS.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 78
  • Solexx East Wall Top Of South Wall  10-25-20.jpg
    Solexx East Wall Top Of South Wall 10-25-20.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 74
  • November 2020 (2).jpg
    November 2020 (2).jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 70
  • November 2020.jpg
    November 2020.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looks great, lots of thought put into this for sure. How do you plan to shade the building in winter for heat reduction from the sun?

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Looks great, lots of thought put into this for sure. How do you plan to shade the building in winter for heat reduction from the sun?
Very nice!
Thank you very much atlarsenal.

Thanks again Judy, for your input.
I'm thinking a shade cloth should do the trick.
I 'm leaning towards building a separate cold frame, or place my Bonsai trees into our garage.
Any other thoughts on this?
Heck, being I'm in the HVAC business, I can even install a ductless mini-split system, which is also a heat-pump. LOL... Trying not to do that though.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
First Class! Instead of shade cloth, you might consider acquiring large screen door screen sections and adjusting them to the size of the portions of window you want to shade. I lay them on my pitched glass panels, two-up, one on top of another, and along with a 4" x 15' ridge vent keeps it reasonable in summer. It is more durable and mostly wind-proof.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Excellent job! Looking forward to seeing it filled with plants.

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
First Class! Instead of shade cloth, you might consider acquiring large screen door screen sections and adjusting them to the size of the portions of window you want to shade. I lay them on my pitched glass panels, two-up, one on top of another, and along with a 4" x 15' ridge vent keeps it reasonable in summer. It is more durable and mostly wind-proof.

Hi Forsoothe,
Thanks you.

Your solution sounds interesting as well as very simple.
In addition to the electric fan & vents, I have 8 automatic vents on the South wall, with 4 high and 4 low, all will be powered by bee's wax filled Univents. I build the higher vent about 10" longer/taller than the lower vents, to create a natural chimney effect. Those vents are already framed and hinged, I still just need to cut them out, but first I'm working on a way to water seal them for when they're closed.
So if I'm reading your post right, you lay the screens on top of the glazing outside of the greenhouse?

Thanks Again,
Ben

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hi Forsoothe,
Thanks you.

Your solution sounds interesting as well as very simple.
In addition to the electric fan & vents, I have 8 automatic vents on the South wall, with 4 high and 4 low, all will be powered by bee's wax filled Univents. I build the higher vent about 10" longer/taller than the lower vents, to create a natural chimney effect. Those vents are already framed and hinged, I still just need to cut them out, but first I'm working on a way to water seal them for when they're closed.
So if I'm reading your post right, you lay the screens on top of the glazing outside of the greenhouse?

Thanks Again,
Ben
Yes, they catch the edge the frame and that's all that keeps them from sliding off. Since they have no surface that will provide lift in a wind, they never move. That may be aided by the baffling effect of being effectively a lean-to with a open space above the glass under the sofit. Winds that blow into any corner get foiled. The same happens on the other side of the house where the bonsai benches are. High winds don't knock my pots over there for the same reason: they are in an inside corner of two exterior walls. Your building out in the open may need a catch finger/rest slightly higher than the profile to work as well in high winds as my situation. They are double thickness just screwed & glued together and the shade is perfect. They come down when the plants go back in in autumn. Post #36 is about my greenhouse which was made (by me) of 9 storm doors on an aluminum framework. The brick porch was made to be this greenhouse.

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Yes, they catch the edge the frame and that's all that keeps them from sliding off. Since they have no surface that will provide lift in a wind, they never move. That may be aided by the baffling effect of being effectively a lean-to with a open space above the glass under the sofit. Winds that blow into any corner get foiled. The same happens on the other side of the house where the bonsai benches are. High winds don't knock my pots over there for the same reason: they are in an inside corner of two exterior walls. Your building out in the open may need a catch finger/rest slightly higher than the profile to work as well in high winds as my situation. They are double thickness just screwed & glued together and the shade is perfect. They come down when the plants go back in in autumn. Post #36 is about my greenhouse which was made (by me) of 9 storm doors on an aluminum framework. The brick porch was made to be this greenhouse.

AWESOME work you have done there, Forsoothe!
Well Done, and thanks for sharing!

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thank you very much atlarsenal.

Thanks again Judy, for your input.
I'm thinking a shade cloth should do the trick.
I 'm leaning towards building a separate cold frame, or place my Bonsai trees into our garage.
Any other thoughts on this?
Heck, being I'm in the HVAC business, I can even install a ductless mini-split system, which is also a heat-pump. LOL... Trying not to do that though.
Shade cloth if it's a high enough value could work, tarps are also a good solution. Darker the better for keeping the temps down.
If I could do a coolbot and an air conditioner, I'd do that, so your mini split could be perfection.

That solexx is the S**T isn't it?

Top Bottom