My Yatsubusa Elm

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I bought this Yatsubusa Elm over the Summer.I put it in this grower pot upon arrival home,but then decided I am going to trim roots in the spring and repot into a nicer red colored pot.I am not quite sure about this one cause' it has so many branches.Real tiny branches.

Attachments

• 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 135

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Cmeg, this isn't ready to pot up, it needs to grow, and grow they do, learn about pruning and pinching elms.
See my comment on another of your threads, need to use care, can't go repotting on a whim to trim and use another pot.

Looks like some one got the bonsai bug BIG, put the lime in the coconut and drink em boat up:)

You have a bunch od materials in differing stages, do those classes at Brussels if you can it will help you a lot. One one more thing, bonsai is a game of patience, and horticultural knowledge, that need to be used at correct times, which the plant materials dictate.

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Hi Cmeg, nice little elm! It could be a good shohin bonsai with just a little trimming in 2-3 years. I second what BillS said too though. Because you seem to have caught the bonsai bug bad, AND you seem to have a nice big backyard. Put both to good use. Do a raised planting box and put these nice elms and hornbeams in the ground so they can grow faster. Your trees could be super nice in 5 years if grown freely for 2-3 years first. With a raised bed, you can still enjoy and work on the trees as bonsai. Bonsai don't need to be in a pot.
Good luck!

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thanks for the translation Si, I just looked at my post, not real beginner friendly. But was intended to be.:eek:

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Hi Bill, no, I thought what you said was very friendly. Only an unfriendly person would take that the wrong way. I just love growing ground and raised beds for bonsai. I have no grass in my backyard.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi Cmeg, nice little elm! It could be a good shohin bonsai with just a little trimming in 2-3 years. I second what BillS said too though. Because you seem to have caught the bonsai bug bad, AND you seem to have a nice big backyard. Put both to good use. Do a raised planting box and put these nice elms and hornbeams in the ground so they can grow faster. Your trees could be super nice in 5 years if grown freely for 2-3 years first. With a raised bed, you can still enjoy and work on the trees as bonsai. Bonsai don't need to be in a pot.
Good luck!
With the yard ,it is quite funny really,I better stop building things cause' I recently found out that I built my two cold frames beyond the property line.They are 4'x2' and 3' deep.I thought the hedgerow was the property edge,but I was wrong by about 15' though.The hedgerow was very misleading.I rent the lot I live on.

Top Bottom