My year around bonsai work in the Inland Empire, CA

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you ever want to mist from a hose these are really great, fogg-it nozzles. ]Cheap and durable too, I do all my watering with the 2gmp head, gonna try the 4. For your purpose and minimal water useage the 1/4gpm head might be good. Of course it can screw onto a wand with a shut off valve. I realize rainwater and a misting bottle might be the best for you but you know, just a thought, I'm a big fan of fogg-it!
Nice trees, thanks.
Thanks for information. I have been using a different overhead misting system. I only use overhead misting system for those are still in prebonsai phase when I am away from my home for more than 3 days or use for new transplanted trees. I also use it in the hot dry summer for those trees needed cooling such as ume, Chojubai quince.
Bonhe

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
2 weeks ago when it was still winter, I believe we had a low of 27°f and a high of 72°f, lol that's a 45 degree swing in a day, it's insane the trees know what to do. This is definitely a tough environment for bonsai.

Aaron
Same as mine. Within 3 recent weeks, the difference of day and night temperature here is about 40 degrees F.
Bonhe

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a big olive tree waiting for transplant! Its trunk base diameter is 20" and 52" height. I need my old friend to come over to help me doing that. The branches still need lot of year to finish!
1.png 2.png
Bonhe

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We are waiting for the big rainy storm coming into our area tonight and two more days after. I am ready for rain water collection! :)

I move the dead bark on the above olive to prepare for big job coming up.
3.png 4.png 5.png

Plan to make a cavity in this area. Will be required a lot of carving effort!!!
6.png

That carving plan will be done prior to transplant. I believe it will be needed much more carving after transplant. I don't know what is going on beneath the soil line (its real trunk base is probably 30 cm deep beneath the soil line, according to my friend to whom I got this tree from few years ago)
Bonhe

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This JBP has too much flowers at this time!!
1.png 2.png

Wearing the mask, I tried to remove its flowers, but too much pollen coming out! I decided to let the rain to take care the pollen on this weekend, then I will remove the flowers later. ;)
Bonhe

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had to change the location for this cork oak so that I can easily access to it during the season and I can occasionally rotate the pot. Its trunk base is 7" and height is 30".
1.png 2.png

Bonhe

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Beautiful trees, the oak is wonderful! And that is a very nice shimpaku, don't see too many formal uprights, this one is very cool.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you JudyB.
After raining day, I removed all the flower bud in the lower part of the tree on 3/7/16
3.png 4.png 5.png

After
1.png 3.png

I will remove the rest of the flowers in few days.
Bonhe

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I brought this tamarix out to work on this morning.
Before
1.png

After pruning and little wiring!
3.png 2.png

Its trunk base with lot of suckers.
4.png

Its bark.
5.png

Bonhe

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a little bouga to which I worked on 7 days ago.
3-10.png
Bonhe

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When I was watering this afternoon, I just remembered showing you the watering wand to which I have been using. As you might know, chronic low back pain is one of common problems in people and I believe it is number one reason that the doctors have to deal daily. If I correctly remember, it is also number one cause to lead to narcotic addiction!!! Yes, it is a big problem for our society! To avoid the low back pain, there are some ways to be followed. One of them is that keeping your back straight! I had been tried many watering wands, and this is the best one I get finally! :) I have been used it for over 3 years. Due to its length, it helped my back a lot. Beside that, its head was made of the copper, so it is very durable. The head is interchangeable. It can be connected to the regular garden hose.
1.png 2.png

It came with this head. I don't like it because it is a little long and wide, so it will waste some water spraying to outside of the pot.
9.png 10.png

So, I bought this head. It perfectly works.
4.png 6.png

Bonhe

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I forgot, it is Haws watering wand.
I also have this one gallon Haws can.
7.png 8.png

It is excellent, too, but it is a little heavy! Beside, I have to keep go back to refill the water. With lot of trees, this task will need a lot of time and effort. That is why I only used it for new transplanting trees.
I hope this information will help whoever wants to spend more time with their trees than watering the trees itself.:)
Bonhe

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This Catlin elm was trimmed this morning.
Before
1.png

All long shoots were cut back to 2-3 leaves depending on their location.
After
1.png 2.png 3.png 4.png

Its leaves
5.png

I believe the catlin elm is good specimen for the beginner.
Bonhe

Top Bottom