The tree in post #768 this morning. More work to do
0373DA9A-59AE-47B3-AAC1-C9E526549D5C.jpeg

Thụ Thoại

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
That is really a lot of "thinning" Thụ Thoại!
There is a lot of wood there, which will be highlighted once properly cleaned/worked.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is really a lot of "thinning" Thụ Thoại!
There is a lot of wood there, which will be highlighted once properly cleaned/worked.
Thanis my nellie.
I just finished working this afternoon. There were s lot of pruning, wiring, pulling and deadwood working . I want to bring the tree back to its original status: wind swept . At this time, I still let it have a lot of live branches . They will be reduced to more dead branches when the time is suitable . If everything is fine, the tree will be transplanted to the bonsai pot next Fall.
551EA317-0C7B-41F8-92F4-BFC156870184.jpeg
Thụ Thoại

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been trying not to get any new tree to my garden, but I failed! ?
Just received a bag of 150 Huangshan pine seeds. It is way over 150 seeds I believe.
I will let them stay in refrigerator until I start sow them in the end of the winter. I will get a lot of fun ?
EDD3D717-71A1-46FD-95D8-BED05C1088D7.jpeg
FE09526F-CF9C-4ABF-9C5D-3BA8B532F77F.jpeg
C05CC008-710F-4F3D-A774-2C95E49464B3.jpeg
Thụ Thoại

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey @bonhe ... my Monterrey cypress is growing like crazy and I need to cut it back. Do you want any cuttings? Do you want me to root cuttings for you?
Excellent Greg.
Yes, please root cuttings for me ?
Thanks
P/s : I still have Kinzu cutting for you but it has been growing so slowly! I may give you the grafted one some days
Thụ Thoại

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Just received a bag of 150 Huangshan pine seeds... ...
You failed not!
Trees you said... But it's seeds you are going to grow!
You failed not, I say! :)

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just received a bag of 150 Huangshan pine seeds. It is way over 150 seeds I believe.
I will let them stay in refrigerator until I start sow them in the end of the winter. I will get a lot of fun ?
View attachment 219376
View attachment 219377
View attachment 219378
Thụ Thoại
I prefer to think of seeds and cuttings as separate categories from tree's in the garden;). If cypress interest you, i have extra cuttings of Tskumho cypress. They make nice bonsai, this is a picture of one of my favourites. It belongs to my teacher. I had the opportunity to learn on this tree over a number of years.

Attachments

• IMG_0183.JPG
    IMG_0183.JPG
    205.1 KB · Views: 36

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You failed not!
Trees you said... But it's seeds you are going to grow!
You failed not, I say! :)
Thank youvery much my nellie. I really like it. I hope you don’t mind me saving this lovely poem ?
Thụ Thoại

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I prefer to think of seeds and cuttings as separate categories from tree's in the garden;). If cypress interest you, i have extra cuttings of Tskumho cypress. They make nice bonsai, this is a picture of one of my favourites. It belongs to my teacher. I had the opportunity to learn on this tree over a number of years.
Thank you very much for offering me this fantastic specimen , but I am afraid that it will die on me due to the unsuitable weather.
Thanks again for your kindness .
Thu Thoai

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like to share with you how I make “ vegetable tea” . I dump all of vegetable waste into this composter. Because it has tiny gaps between the panels, the composed fluid can easily to drip down the ground . I place the cement mix container bought at Home Depot beneath the composter to catch the composted fluid. After about a month, I am able to collect over one gallon !
9B8E6F15-C056-42DA-85E4-B61121FF2742.jpeg E7058578-6496-41C4-B9A4-F87404138E34.jpeg

It should be an excellent fertilizer ?
Thụ Thoại

P/s: Just tested its pH. It is about 9-10!!!
The one on the left is tap water!
93983DE1-D33E-43D3-A0A1-A5D84A9DCCD0.jpeg

Last edited:

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
... ...I hope you don’t mind me saving this lovely poem ?
Thụ Thoại
"Poem" is such a complimentary characterization for these thoughts of mine which came to my mind upon reading your post, dear Thụ Thoại
Thank you for your politeness!

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"Poem" is such a complimentary characterization for these thoughts of mine which came to my mind upon reading your post, dear Thụ Thoại
Thank you for your politeness!
It is why I like it! ?
Opportunity Privilege I would say if I may. This is such a special tree, Frank.
I concur.
Thụ Thoại

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yesterday, 12/21/2018 is winter solstice in my area. The day length was 9 hours 54 min 8 seconds. Today, the day length is 9 hours 54 min 9 seconds.
I wonder if anyone here have been paying attention to the day length to help in planning schedule.
Thụ Thoại

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Because I can not find my past post about ume through the search function, so I will post them here!
This contorted ume is surviving now. I don't think it will give me flowers this year.
IMG_0171.jpg IMG_0172.jpg

This grafted ume is growing as expected. I am so excited to see it be in flowers, because this is the 1st yea,r it is in bonsai pot! It has a lot of flower buds at this time.
IMG_0207.jpg IMG_0176.jpg

This ume is also having a lot of flower buds.
IMG_0179.jpg IMG_0181.jpg

At this time of the year, when all the leaves were gone, I will remove all the dead branches
IMG_0182.jpg IMG_0183.jpg

and prune back all the long branches back to 5 - 6 nodes (flower buds). I want to let these branches long enough to enjoy the flowers. After the flowers are gone, then I will prune the long branches back to 2 - 3 nodes.
IMG_0185.jpg IMG_0186.jpg

Thụ Thoại

Top Bottom