My year around bonsai work in the Inland Empire, CA

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you for sharing info.
The way you practice is very conservative, I think. With all wiring and bending, I just finish it at the same time and rarely had a problem. Besides, crepe myrtle is very forgivable.
The “soft breaking “ technique has that name because every bending will cause some more or less damage to the tree anatomy . When I am bending the branch, my goal is giving that branch not only a curve but slow down the strength of that branch which still maintains the energy production for the tree.
Bonhe

Ok. This makes since. I have seem some very strong vigor in my trees. Of coarse hey were chopped later winter so i would expect the growth to be very coarse and vigorous. Thank you and sorry for derailing your great thread.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok. This makes since. I have seem some very strong vigor in my trees. Of coarse hey were chopped later winter so i would expect the growth to be very coarse and vigorous. Thank you and sorry for derailing your great thread.
Don’t worry. Not a problem at all.
Bonhe

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Two of JBP had these signs yesterday. Osoyoung should know it well.
What is it ?
A:
51F4BCEB-9620-42A4-AF37-60C2AD21F747.jpeg 50EF4C04-6B11-46F9-A254-FF5FC2D51CE2.jpeg

How is about this?
B:
A62716BC-D344-448D-B645-2B99E5283D53.jpeg B5A0E1F5-6B9B-4032-967C-73EEE16C2251.jpeg
Bonhe

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lovely corner in your garden, as the light "falls" on young pines!
Thank you my Nellie,

Bonhe, what is the issue with the needle?
Also I wanted to check in on the cork oak root cutting you started when you repot one of your big oak.
Thanks
A: infected by pine moth.
B: mechanical injury.
The cork root cutting did not show any leave yet, but they are still green! I did not put them in one gallon confined container!
Bonhe

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just want to let you know that I have been using this DIG pot and basket mister. It is excellent drip system for bonsai.
p/s: I am not affiliated with nor receive any commission from DIG
IMG_7757.jpg

It can give you 2 gallon of water per hour!
IMG_7756.jpg

Bonhe

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I did some clean up and wiring for this tamarix today
Before
IMG_7754.jpg

After. Some young shoots are left unwiring until few weeks later.
IMG_7767.jpg
Bonhe

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In the last couple of days, I have been trying to finish pruning the black pine trees after came back from vacation. I pruned the lower third of the big trees at first, then I started pruning the smaller ones. When I complete working on the small ones, then I will go back to finish the bigger ones.
This is a medium size JBP.
Before
IMG_8176.jpg IMG_8177.jpg

After removed the spring shoots and some wiring. Those branches on the apex will be wired down next year.
IMG_8192.jpg IMG_8195.jpg

Its bark
IMG_8201.jpg
Bonhe

Last edited:

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This JBP also has medium size.
Before
IMG_8162.jpg IMG_8163.jpg

After removing the spring shoots and some wiring. This tree still has a lot of things to do.
IMG_8173.jpg IMG_8174.jpg

Most of my pine trees have been spending entire their lives in the containers. I like that fact for the bark characteristics which you can not get if you grow the pine in the ground!!!
IMG_8171.jpg

Bonhe

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What is the reason for this, I wonder.
Do you mind explaining, Bonhe?
Thanks for asking my Nellie .
The bark size is correlated with the growth speed of the tree. The faster the tree grows, the bigger the bark size is. If you want to grow the tree rapidly by planting it in the ground, you will get the tree with big barks, When you dig it up and transform it to the bonsai, it will look unnaturally. The bark size and the trunk height are not corresponded to each other. I concluded this observation few years ago. Knowledge of this fact gave me good and bad experience! The good experience is that I know exactly which way I should train my seedlings for bonsai. The bad thing is that it is hard for me to enjoy the bonsai show anymore!!! As you might know, there are factors affecting the physical appearance of the human: firstly the contour of the body, secondly the skin, etc. It is why in our society, there are a lot of cosmetic surgeries, etc. I believe we can apply this fact to the bonsai, but only differences is that the bark vs human skin and the age of the tree vs human :)
Thụ Thoại

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I need overhead misty system at this time of the year. It will be 110 degrees of Fahrenheit here in the next few days and might last for few weeks!
IMG_8206.jpg IMG_8207.jpg
Thụ Thoại

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Those are some beautiful pines! I love to hear about the difference in bark size, definetly something to look out for. As always, we appreciate your sharing.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is this a DIG mister?
Yes, it is. You can see it at #609

Those are some beautiful pines! I love to hear about the difference in bark size, definetly something to look out for. As always, we appreciate your sharing.
Thank you for your kind words.
Bonhe

Top Bottom