my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thank you Thụ for the clarification.
Interesting observation indeed!
Thanks for asking my Nellie .
... ...The bad thing is that it is hard for me to enjoy the bonsai show anymore!!! As you might know, there are factors affecting the physical appearance of the human: firstly the contour of the body, secondly the skin, etc. It is why in our society, there are a lot of cosmetic surgeries, etc... ...
On the very opposite of the cosmetic surgeries there is a deep satisfaction coming from the fact that we have been given the time to reach at this age.
A lot of other people are deprived of this blessing.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting observation indeed!On the very opposite of the cosmetic surgeries there is a deep satisfaction coming from the fact that we have been given the time to reach at this age.
A lot of other people are deprived of this blessing.
You are absolutely right, my nellie
Thụ Thoại

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is still very hot in my area. At 9 am, it is already 100 degrees of F! In those days, I have to get out to the garden at 7 am to defeat the sun!!!
This morning I brought this cork pine out for pruning.
Before. I love this tree because it has double trunks!
IMG_8266.jpg IMG_8267.jpg IMG_8268.jpg

After complete decandling the spring shoots
IMG_8270.jpg

I will bring it to my teacher's home this Saturday to finish it up (will remove the needles according to the areas)
Thụ Thoại

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Then I brought this tamarix out to prune and wire!
To recognize how fast it grows in my area, this is the tree after pruning and wiring on 6/10/18
IMG_7767.jpg

Today (almost a month)
IMG_8279.jpg

After pruning, wiring and fertilizing it with woodace 12-3-6 A.C.R.E
IMG_8283.jpg

Thụ Thoại

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That tamarix is lovely! Good work.

BTW, what does "Thụ Thoại" mean? Google tells me it translates as "voicemail" but I doubt that is right :)

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That tamarix is lovely! Good work.

BTW, what does "Thụ Thoại" mean? Google tells me it translates as "voicemail" but I doubt that is right :)
Thank you very much Coh and thank you for asking my artistic name.
I will tell you the story. My Korean best friend who is a well-known oriental calligraphy artist gave me that name. He recently sent me an invaluable gift which is the wooden seals with my artistic name. He calligraphed my name and asked his friend to make 3 seals for me.

樹話 Thụ Thoại
樹 – tree (Thụ in Vietnamese pronunciation: shù in Mandarin)
話 – conversation, dialogue (Thoại in Vietnamese pronunciation: huà in Mandarin)
Thụ Thoại means “conversation with the tree”. I love this name because when we are taking the bonsai, we are talking to them.
Thụ Thoại

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
... ...This morning I brought this cork pine out for pruning.

View attachment 200101 View attachment 200105
The bark on this is amazing!
May I ask how long do you have possession of this tree, Thụ?
I am asking because I see that you are working the tree into its original nursery pot and I suppose the substrate is good quality of course.
Is it because you want the tree to grow more before you move it into a bonsai pot?
Thank you!

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
@coh thank you for asking this question to Bonhe.
It was also my question but I hesitated to ask...
... ...Thụ Thoại means “conversation with the tree”. I love this name because when we are taking the bonsai, we are talking to them.
Thụ Thoại
Indeed, very appropriate name!

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you my Nellie
This tree was grown by my teacher from seed about 15 years ago. I got it about 2 years ago. As soon as it came to my garden, I changed its soil to pumice, pine bark and fir ground with 1:2:1 ratio
Yes, I want to keep it in the current pot to train it’s branching system.
Now you know what my artistic name meaning is ?
Thụ Thoại

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you very much Coh and thank you for asking my artistic name.
I will tell you the story. My Korean best friend who is a well-known oriental calligraphy artist gave me that name. He recently sent me an invaluable gift which is the wooden seals with my artistic name. He calligraphed my name and asked his friend to make 3 seals for me.

樹話 Thụ Thoại
樹 – tree (Thụ in Vietnamese pronunciation: shù in Mandarin)
話 – conversation, dialogue (Thoại in Vietnamese pronunciation: huà in Mandarin)
Thụ Thoại means “conversation with the tree”. I love this name because when we are taking the bonsai, we are talking to them.
Thụ Thoại
Cool, thanks for the explanation! Definitely more meaningful than "voicemail"!

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I will bring it to my teacher's home this Saturday to finish it up (will remove the needles according

I find you very knowledgeable about bonsai I thought you were the teacher! Who is your teacher if I may ask?

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I find you very knowledgeable about bonsai I thought you were the teacher! Who is your teacher if I may ask?
Thank you.
I am a teacher in other field but not bonsai.
My teacher is Mr. Richard Ota who is one of four “ Iron Men” in California.
Thụ Thoại

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok. Let me guess the 4 ironmen of California.
Mr. Naka
Mr. Ota
Mr. Rokkaku
Mr. Aragaki

Last edited:

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I was going to post and say "this one I like the most"...... but then I was no so sure.... which one do I like the best?
I love the three of them!
I hope to be able to train my tamarix following the way you have shown to us.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I need overhead misty system at this time of the year. It will be 110 degrees of Fahrenheit here in the next few days and might last for few weeks!
View attachment 199460 View attachment 199461
Thụ Thoại
Hey bonhe I was in the Inland Empire this weekend on my way to Oxnard. Very hot for you guys! Stopped by Kimura nursery it was closed because of excessive heat. Went up to Fuji nursery to walk around a bit. Master Nagatoshi said it was record heat for them. Just another summer day for us. Hope your misters helped out!

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok. Let me guess the 4 ironmen of California.
Mr. Naka
Mr. Ota
Mr. Rokkaku
Mr. Aragaki

According to California Bonsai Society in 2012, the Iron Men of “ John Naka” were Frank Goya, Harry Hirao, Shig Miya, Ben Oki and Richard Ota. Mr. Harry Hirao passed away few years ago, and recently Mr. Ben Oki! So, at this time, there are only 3 Iron Men left; not 4!!!
Hey bonhe I was in the Inland Empire this weekend on my way to Oxnard. Very hot for you guys! Stopped by Kimura nursery it was closed because of excessive heat. Went up to Fuji nursery to walk around a bit. Master Nagatoshi said it was record heat for them. Just another summer day for us. Hope your misters helped out!
I have one crabapple, one peach and one quince have severe leaf burn; otherwise it is good. The misters help me a lot at this time !
Thụ Thoại

Top Bottom