Mycorrhizae

DraytonSawyer

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I know this is beneficial to use in some circumstances, but wanted to know if anybody had any experience with this specific brand? Will applying this and diatomaceous earth be at same time be harmful?

20220402_070048.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Applying DE how and why?

Welcome to Crazy!

Except for soil via bags of Napa 8822, I reckon both these products are 90% scam.

Sorce

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
They are a mix of diferent mycorrhyza? how they know those fungi will colonize regardless the kind of plant you have (deciduous, conifer, tropical, etc)?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Myc is species and environmental conditions dependent (soil components and fertilizer regimen). Trees I've owned for 15+ years never had myc present in the soil until I switched to an Akadama based soil... go figure. Anyway, I'd rather spend $$ on good soil components.

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mycorrhizal inocula are a scam. If the conditions are suitable they'll colonize. They produce millions of tiny spores, no way they won't ever up in your pot naturally. I've done experiments at university with mycorrhiza-free plants. That's near impossible even in a greenhouse with air filters and sterilised water.

@Dav4, did you check the roots under the microscope with proper staining? It's very likely all the trees had mycorrhizae just not as a clearly visible mycelium.

DraytonSawyer

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Ok then - I thought it was a useless but wanted to check. I've used powdered DE to get rid of some a few pests now and then but thats it.
Thanks !

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Mycorrhizal inocula are a scam. If the conditions are suitable they'll colonize. They produce millions of tiny spores, no way they won't ever up in your pot naturally. I've done experiments at university with mycorrhiza-free plants. That's near impossible even in a greenhouse with air filters and sterilised water.

@Dav4, did you check the roots under the microscope with proper staining? It's very likely all the trees had mycorrhizae just not as a clearly visible mycelium.
No I didn't, but I assumed it was there on the root surface. When I changed the soil components, it apparently became more favorable for the myc to proliferate and colonize the entire soil mass. That was the point of my post.

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I totally agree with you that the conditions determine whether you have a visible mycelium. But even if that is not visible of is likely that they are there and do benefit your tree.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've used powdered DE to get rid of some a few pests now and then but thats it.
I’m curious about which pests and did it control them? Do you dust the leaves or apply to the soil surface? If on the surface, does it last past the next watering? It would seem like once it becomes saturated and washes into the soil, it would be less effective? Thanks!

Moraito

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

This is something that I have been wondering. Everybody talks about how important the rhizosphere is for pines and I am growing some from seeds. I was wondering how to get those mycorriza started as i was not using any of the soil the parent plant was growing on... So I do not need to worry about this and the substrate/roots will get colonized by itself?

DraytonSawyer

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Mostly it was an experiment to try and reduce the amount of silverfish in some extremely damp soil. Just dusted the top and left overnight. It rained that evening and it definitely washed away...but seemed to help with the pests!

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’m curious about which pests and did it control them? Do you dust the leaves or apply to the soil surface? If on the surface, does it last past the next watering? It would seem like once it becomes saturated and washes into the soil, it would be less effective? Thanks!
I have used powdered and DE fines from sifted soil components as slug protection and snail protection in the veggie garden.

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I do not need to worry about this and the substrate/roots will get colonized by itself?
That's what mushrooms are for. Those things produce millions of tiny spores.

DE works against pests because it has lots of tiny holes. Insects have a fatty layer on their exoskeleton to keep them from drying out. DE sucks up this fatty layer (a bit like oil-dry). This makes that the insect will dry out.
Obviously this won't work in a most location, such as in the soil.

@DraytonSawyer, do you really mean silverfish? Those normally don't live in soil. Don't you mean springtails? Both are harmless by the way.

Top Bottom