Mystery hybrid elm quiz

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Can anyone venture a guess as to what kind of elm I have? My best guess is a Siberian/American hybrid. However, some people and some literature suggest that such a cross is unlikely if not impossible. I see that crosses with slippery elm are common, but this doesn't look much like a slippery elm to me.

Facts:
Grown from a seed collected in NE Kansas in June 2019.
Leaf size: 3.5-4.5" long. Most guidebooks say that Siberian elms never get over 2.5-3", and this tree is still quite small.
Perfectly symmetrical leaf base.
Rough upper surface, smooth underside.

IMG_20191002_165213.jpg

Full tree this week (about 4 feet tall now).

IMG_20200429_152828.jpg

Comparison with an actual American elm leaf (not fully grown). Boy, doesn't it look similar? :) Note the difference in leaf base symmetry.

mystery_elm.jpg

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
It may be a Zelkova. About the leaves, most of mine (same batch) mine have non-symetrical bases, like these ones :

zelko_200501a.jpg

On this one, the leaves are very big because they're new growth from the stump of a big one in the garden that I had to cut down.

When potted, the leaves are much smaller and the base looks symetrical :

zelko_200501b.jpg

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you remember what the buds looked like as they were pushing?

I been noting the severe difference between the rounded ball of Siberian and the pointier spearhead of American.

Both those leaves look skinny to me, I guess they're new though right?

Sorce

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Do you remember what the buds looked like as they were pushing?

I been noting the severe difference between the rounded ball of Siberian and the pointier spearhead of American.

Both those leaves look skinny to me, I guess they're new though right?

Sorce
Oh good idea on the buds. I've attached some pics. They emerge almost like a Chinese elm now that you mention it. The leaf tip emerges straight out of the trunk.

Regarding skinniness, yes, they're skinny. The first pic above is actually from last fall, so they stay skinny all year.

Attachments

• IMG_20200309_180254.jpg
    IMG_20200309_180254.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20200331_104031.jpg
    IMG_20200331_104031.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20200317_081322.jpg
    IMG_20200317_081322.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 86

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It may be a Zelkova. About the leaves, most of mine (same batch) mine have non-symetrical bases, like these ones :

View attachment 299713

On this one, the leaves are very big because they're new growth from the stump of a big one in the garden that I had to cut down.

When potted, the leaves are much smaller and the base looks symetrical :

View attachment 299715
Zelkova didn't occur to me, but it does have some of those traits, the skinniness, pointiness, and roughness.

But it's also double serrated and the new buds aren't cones. It also has a more rugged appearance than the zelkova I have and the ones in your pics.

But there is a big zelkova about a block away from me. Maybe my origin story isn't as exciting as I thought! I'll check out those leaves today and post a comparison if interesting.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
To solve the mystery, you need a botanical key, the dichotomous key where you read each question, and the yes or no answer jumps you to the next question, for example hairs on leaf petiole, yes go to 3 no go to 15. At some point, when a unique set of traits have been ticked off, you will have the name of your tree.

I still think Siberian elm or Siberian x Slippery elm.

Outside chance it is Rock elm, Ulmus thomasii.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
To solve the mystery, you need a botanical key, the dichotomous key where you read each question, and the yes or no answer jumps you to the next question, for example hairs on leaf petiole, yes go to 3 no go to 15. At some point, when a unique set of traits have been ticked off, you will have the name of your tree.

I still think Siberian elm or Siberian x Slippery elm.

Outside chance it is Rock elm, Ulmus thomasii.
Thanks, Leo. I was doing more research tonight, and apparently historical and modern claims of hybrids with American elms are met with great skepticism because American elms have a different number of chromosomes (28) than other elms (14).

But slippery elm and siberian elms readily hybridize, so I will presume that it's that.

Igor. T. Ljubek

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Do your leaves have a hairy or smooth surface? Also take a closer look to the bark. Leaves are not always the best and only indicator of species.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
It's a good thing I can come around and resolve these quandaries.
That my friends is a foemina elm.
Treat it like any other elm and it will be fine.
That means abuse it.
What does foemina mean? I’ve seen it a few times and cant find a definition.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What does foemina mean? I’ve seen it a few times and cant find a definition.
It's an old joke here.
In essence foemina is the name given to all mystery trees.
And if you Google it you get pictures of naked ladies.
Plus it's a kind of juniper.

Top Bottom