Mystery Maple/ID?

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just acquired this starter maple. The leaves are oddly/consistently rounded - and not a match for the vendors normal species. I can't find a clear match, unless it's just a mutation/oddball.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks like it could be Montpelier maple

From Meehans?

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks like it could be Montpelier maple

From Meehans?
Yes, just visited them and picked up a few starters. For (maples they mostly just have Trident, Amur, and regular JM.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I bought one from them a couple years ago in a 6" pot.

Actually Hugh was at first unsure if it was montpelier or field maple, they can look similar and I've heard they can hybridize. Mine didn't make it through it's first winter...

There's definitely some unique stuff there, I also got a Shantung maple, which at the time I had only read about. Also picked up an 8" pot field maple (I had been looking for one for years before) and a native hornbeam; everything else is still living except the montpelier.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'd say montpelier too. They are supposed to be hardy around here but I have never seen any used as landscape trees. I don't think they appreciate the humidity, but I'm only speculating based on native range. Maybe try to keep the thing nice and dry through winter and spring to avoid spreading fungus to your other maples

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Acer monspessulanum, Montpellier maple, named after the city of Montpellier (with two "L"s), not Montpelier (with one L"), capital of Vermont.
Monspelunamum with one "L" ;) .

The wood is very hard and it's a slow grower when potted. From the Mediterranean area, but can be grown in colder, mure humid climates with no problem.

Judy has nice specimens, search the forum.

Reactions: AJL

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks everyone for your help on the ID, I appreciate it. Now to just wait for fall to pass, get it safely through winter and see what it does in the spring.

Top Bottom