Mystery "Pine" from local nursery...

danielwow12

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hey everyone,

I found this "pine" (as it was labeled) at my local big-box nursery. It could be a pine...but I also think it could be a fir or even spruce. Would love for some experienced eyes to give more advice on an identification. This was in Dallas, TX if that helps. The label also states "Pine #2 BF" and that is pretty much it...I have tried searching UPC or SKU with no such luck.

Thanks!

wqjsqoX.jpg

Nv3gsGn.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
hard to say. looks like immature foliage of Pinus pinea, the Italian Stone Pine. Juvinal foliage is single needle, mature is rather long needles in bundles of 2 or 3. Use forum search function to search Italian Stone pine, or Pinus pinea. They are only occasionally used for bonsai because of difficulties controling whether you will have juvinal or mature foliage.

there is an outside chance it is a spruce, but I really don't think so.

Highly unlikely it would be a fir. The summer heat around Dallas would kill them in short order. They are mountain species.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
if you are in Dallas area there is an active bonsai society, you attend a meeting or two and bring you tree. I hope one of our BNut members from Texas will post info.

Japanese Black Pine grow very well in Dallas area, I suggest you look for one as you shop around. There is a lot of literature on using JBP for bonsai, it is a traditional species.

Native pinion pines also are being used more often for bonsai with promising results. Not a lot of literature yet on pinion bonsai, but trees shown by Texas & New Mexico artists seem to have good potential.

Your native junipers work well for bonsai, and all the Shimpaku juniper varieties grow well in Dallas area.

So basically, I'm suggesting to try an easier tree to work with than the Italian Stone pine. Its growth habots will frustrate you over time.

danielwow12

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
if you are in Dallas area there is an active bonsai society, you attend a meeting or two and bring you tree. I hope one of our BNut members from Texas will post info.

Japanese Black Pine grow very well in Dallas area, I suggest you look for one as you shop around. There is a lot of literature on using JBP for bonsai, it is a traditional species.

Native pinion pines also are being used more often for bonsai with promising results. Not a lot of literature yet on pinion bonsai, but trees shown by Texas & New Mexico artists seem to have good potential.

Your native junipers work well for bonsai, and all the Shimpaku juniper varieties grow well in Dallas area.

So basically, I'm suggesting to try an easier tree to work with than the Italian Stone pine. Its growth habots will frustrate you over time.

Thanks both of you for your posts. I most definitely would have opted out if I had known this, but it was not labeled very clearly to me. I will also look into our local society. Thanks again :)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
opted out

Now that wouldn't be very Wow Daniel.
;)

More pics?

Leave it in the pot for a year, if it dies, take it back! If not, give it a go!

I'm all against big corporate responsibility, they don't care much, but the depot Junipers I bought grown in Florida Made it through winter up here.

Gives me plenty of hope that is good for your area!

Sorce

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I agree with Bill. Dwarf Alberta Spruce.

Unfortunately, they don't like bonsai techniques.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It's definitely not dwarf alberta spruce. Their average growth rate here in NM is about 2in a year, I would assume his climate is similar to mine so if it were a dwarf alberta spruce it's already had a HUGE flush of growth this year far more then 2in, I agree it's an Italian stone pine based off of the blue color and the growth habit. I do work with a lot of both everyday some I'm pretty confident in my response.

Aaron

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Can we get more pics of the whole tree too?

I'm surrounded by Stone Pines but really only have seedlings and fully mature trees around, a more inclusive pic could help.

Dalmat

Shohin
Reaction score
It's definitely not dwarf alberta spruce. Their average growth rate here in NM is about 2in a year, I would assume his climate is similar to mine so if it were a dwarf alberta spruce it's already had a HUGE flush of growth this year far more then 2in, I agree it's an Italian stone pine based off of the blue color and the growth habit. I do work with a lot of both everyday some I'm pretty confident in my response.

Aaron

Can't agree more on this. Left pinus, right dwarf alberta spruce
001.jpg

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Try to compare it to the pics of those Mediterranean pines - P. pinea or P. halepensis. The very first picture votes for this.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm not familiar with Pinus Halepensis.

Good luck with it!

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Let's just throw another tree into the mix. I could be Alberta Spruce but there are a couple of things that don't look right as the fact the photo makes the needles appear to be too large and corpulant for both Alberta and Pinea. It could be single needle Pinion Pine Pinus Monophyla.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Let's just throw another tree into the mix. I could be Alberta Spruce but there are a couple of things that don't look right as the fact the photo makes the needles appear to be too large and corpulant for both Alberta and Pinea. It could be single needle Pinion Pine Pinus Monophyla.
Definitely not pinus monophylla they are natives where I live and they do not look like that, even when young.

Aaron

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
P. Inmapantsa

Sorce

Top Bottom