Mystery pine styling... it's most likely a JBP

Bonds Guy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
As some of you know I planted some "japanese white pine seeds" that I got from an ebay merchant a few years ago. I now know they're definitely not JWP, but they're some kind of 2-needle double-flush pine. The general consensus is they're JBPs and I've been treating them as such. Well today I decided to start styling one of the pines from the group. I left if alone last year after doing some heavy root pruning and for the most I left it alone this year. Now it has slight inverse taper and not much movement. Based on my limited experience with JBPs and vast 2nd hand knowledge on JBPs, I feel this pine can still be salvaged. So my question to you guys is can you help me style this pine?

Here's some pictures:

IMG_2291.JPGIMG_2293.JPGIMG_2294.JPGIMG_2295.JPGIMG_2296.JPGIMG_2297.JPG

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Not really ready to style yet. You need to do some branch selection. Pick one at the trunk chop to be a side branch, and one to be the next trunk section, and remove everything else. Then you can repeat these steps next fall, adding another trunk section (with taper and movement) along with a second primary branch.

It’s hard to get good photos of a tree growing in the ground, so do a little pruning first and maybe post some more. These circled in blue should be keepers from what I can see.
C725FE34-39AE-4A02-98A7-8A780662DC46.jpeg

Top Bottom