N00b questions.

Bastet

Seed
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I recently decided to take up growing bonsai as a hobby. I have absolutely no gardening, plant and especially bonsai experience whatsoever.

I ordered www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000ZUDW5K?p...i_detailpage_o03_s00

and decided to try one sachet of seeds as a test. With the weather being up and down in the UK, I opted for doing it all indoors.

The instructions said to plant the seeds and leave them somewhere warm but out of direct sunlight. I followed the sowing instructions and placed the potted seeds in a small vegetable bag from the supermarket and left it on the windowsill, behind closed, thick blinds - so they would get some light and warmth but not be in direct light.

It then said after 2-3 weeks to place the potted seeds into the fridge for a further 3-6 weeks.

However, by about day 9 of the first step, shoots have already come up. I'm not sure what they are because each sachet was supposedly mixed (Cedrus Atlantica, Cryptomeria Japonica, Pinus Excelsa, Pinus Roxburghii, Thuja Orientalis and Abies).

Now that they've sprouted, do I forgo the refrigerator stage (I thought that was to encourage the seeds to start shooting, but they already have) and remove them from the bag and leave them in the same location?

I figured, following the instructions, I would have 9 weeks to research the next steps and ordered a number of books. However, the little tykes have already started growing, before even finishing the first stage.

I just realised, whilst typing this, that the windowsill is above a radiator, which I totally forgot about, so they would have been receiving some heat on a morning when my parents had their heating on for a few hours.

Are these shoots salvageable or should I start again away from that location? I've attached a pic, I think. They look like little cress :p, long skinny stalks with two small leaves. It's only been 8-9 days :-/.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 20141029_174851.jpg
    20141029_174851.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 20141029_174851b.jpg
    20141029_174851b.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 38

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I don't know what they are, but they aren't conifers. They look like... weeds :)

I would follow the instructions of your kit. Your conifers need a period of cold in order to germinate (called "cold stratification"). They probably won't germinate without it. Some warm-weather conifers don't need cold stratification, but I'm pretty sure all of your seeds do.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They do look just like the random weeds that pop up from garden soil.

ed

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just pulled some of those the other day.

However.

Ive had things sprout without the cold period. So watch them.

Amd maybe buy a cheap tree for now.

Sorce

Bastet

Seed
Reaction score
Would coir compost be contaminated with weeds?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Its likely. Those seeds must be microscopic. Never see em. Almost always sprout in nursery pots.

Sorce

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I have absolutely no gardening, plant and especially bonsai experience whatsoever.

Oh, wow. That is a BIG handicap. I certainly wouldn't start my bonsai adventure with seeds; you're 10-20 years away from a "bonsai" that way.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh, wow. That is a BIG handicap. I certainly wouldn't start my bonsai adventure with seeds; you're 10-20 years away from a "bonsai" that way.

Well maybe he is 10 years old . :rolleyes:

ed

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This is what Japanese Black Pine seedlings look like...

DSC_0043.jpg

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In the context of bonsai, I have never heard the word sachet used. It makes me fell uncomfortable for some reason. A overheard a couple guys at the convention yesterday refer to me walking up the vendor aisles in that manner though....

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Not trying to discourage you but as said above starting with seeds you have some 10 years in front of you before having a tree in a bonsai pot if any.
The good thing is that you are young! ;)

Furthermore pines are far from being the easiest trees to start with! (they are pretty cool though)

As those seeds seem pretty expensive I'm sure that for the same price if you look around the garden centers, nurseries, yard sales (do you have that in the UK?), e-bay and other craiglist you may be able to find some pretty decent trees or shrubs.
And have something to work on while your seeds are growing :)

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In the context of bonsai, I have never heard the word sachet used. It makes me fell uncomfortable for some reason. A overheard a couple guys at the convention yesterday refer to me walking up the vendor aisles in that manner though....

What you were doing was sashay Al. Happens when a man dons a thong. Where was the convention. San Francisco? Are you sure it was a bonsai convention?
Sachet is what said men that wear thongs carry good smelling things in. To cover up that beastly musk.
Didn't know seeds came that way. I figured they would be in a bag.

Top Bottom