Nailing down the wind.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
WHUT ???

Yep, I cobbled up a way to deal with our OCCASIONAL heavy, heavy, HEAVY winds.
In another thread, Bonsai Nut suggested my juniper pot looked too small.
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/am-i-drowning-or-rotting-my-juniper-roots.33750/
Well....dammit... you KNOW how crap like that will...eat...at you and ...reluctantly.... I had to well, sorta, kinda ....AGREE! :(
So I repotted UP. Not much.... a BIT!

Then.....looking at the new setup, I began to worry that it might TIP. So, I leaned it this way and that and ...nope... no unbalance. The pot was flat and steady on the bench in every possible direction.
But......but....but.... WIND !! It can get really "special" in these parts.

So I thunk and thunk and found a box I could put the pot in but it looked REALLY crappy! :mad:

Then....in blew a BRIGHT IDEA....NAILS!

Soooooooooooooo...... I got some 4" nails and drove em into the rack and fitted the nails to the POT.
It allows me to turn the pot, lift the pot, break the pot....all sorts of stuff. :cool:

Maybe not too CLASSY....but it works. That pot would need to be SHOT off the bench now! :p:p:pprocumb new 1.jpgprocumb nails.jpgprocumb pot.jpg

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
WHUT ???

Yep, I cobbled up a way to deal with our OCCASIONAL heavy, heavy, HEAVY winds.
In another thread, Bonsai Nut suggested my juniper pot looked too small.
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/am-i-drowning-or-rotting-my-juniper-roots.33750/
Well....dammit... you KNOW how crap like that will...eat...at you and ...reluctantly.... I had to well, sorta, kinda ....AGREE! :(
So I repotted UP. Not much.... a BIT!

Then.....looking at the new setup, I began to worry that it might TIP. So, I leaned it this way and that and ...nope... no unbalance. The pot was flat and steady on the bench in every possible direction.
But......but....but.... WIND !! It can get really "special" in these parts.

So I thunk and thunk and found a box I could put the pot in but it looked REALLY crappy! :mad:

Then....in blew a BRIGHT IDEA....NAILS!

Soooooooooooooo...... I got some 4" nails and drove em into the rack and fitted the nails to the POT.
It allows me to turn the pot, lift the pot, break the pot....all sorts of stuff. :cool:

Maybe not too CLASSY....but it works. That pot would need to be SHOT off the bench now! :p:p:pView attachment 193530View attachment 193534View attachment 193535
If it gets as windy as you say,now you can wire it across the pot to the nails.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Won't need that. It is VERY securely anchored now.
I did this on it when it was in the pot that was so shallow it almost KILLED it. Dried out too fast, but the anchors held well.

Seems I gotta be improvising some sort of stuff to be happy. o_O

pot anchor.jpg

Top Bottom