Naked Hornbeam

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
This is one of my favorite trees that I have in my collection and love this time of year when the branching can be seen. Defoliated what was left of the leaves this afternoon. I unfortunately did not get any color change in the leaves, it went from green to brown over the past few weeks.

Attachments

• DSC_0902.jpg
    DSC_0902.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 205

dpowell

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Looks good Jeff, do you know what type of pot it's in? I've always liked white/cream pots for deciduous trees and the odd glaze works well with the hornbeam trunk.

Also when would you trim back the long shoots? Is now a good time or would you wait until spring?

-Danny

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Great looking tree Jeff! I do like the pot with it very much too. The specks really work well with the feel of the tree.

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
Looks good Jeff, do you know what type of pot it's in? I've always liked white/cream pots for deciduous trees and the odd glaze works well with the hornbeam trunk.

Also when would you trim back the long shoots? Is now a good time or would you wait until spring?

-Danny

Hey Danny,

The pot is a Yoshimura Shuuhou that I purchased through Peter Tea a few years back specifically for this tree. If you look at Smoke's latest write up about the Bonsai Swapmeet 2014 it looks like someone was selling one there.

Next year's buds started to swell a few weeks ago which is normal and I trimmed the strong shoots back and left the weaker ones for the spring when they start to push. In the spring, I will trim the strong ones back to two leaves and leave the weaker ones to balance the growth of the tree.

Hopefully I'll see you next week's Midori meeting.

Jeff

Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That was Kora Dalager, she just got back from Japan. She is a travel agent and has orginized Bill Valavanis' trips for years.
I was going to buy the pot, but the size was wrong for anything I do. It was too big for shohin and just a bit small for chuin or even kifu.

Danny Powell (dpowell)was at the swapmeet and I looked at a couple of his pots as well.

Attachments

• DSC_00530053.JPG
    DSC_00530053.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 115

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This was the only thing I bought at the swapmeet this year. I purchased this from Kora. It was a good size for a kifu sized tree. I have a couple tridents that will look good in this pot. The depth is better than the other.

Attachments

• DSC_00340001.JPG
    DSC_00340001.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 79

dpowell

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I saw the Shuho pot at the swap meet, but I asked because I have one that is very similar. Same glaze, almost same size, but straighter sides and I didn't know what it was as I haven't been able to match the chop to anything yet. It wouldn't surprise me if it was a Shuho though based on the glaze/size/shape.

Jeff - will see you Thursday

Al - Good to see you at the swap meet and nice score on the pot.

-Danny

Top Bottom