Namako

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
I really like this Finish, I think it's absolutely Beautiful! But, It is pretty darn flashy and would probably distract a lot from the tree.

I'm wondering what you think about it?

And, if you have any suggestions as to what type of tree might fit well with this finish?

Some pics of finish/glaze I am talking about.

Attachments

• namako1.jpg
    namako1.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 108
  • namako2.jpg
    namako2.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 98

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is a very nice glaze. Not sure what I would put in it. Probably a deciduous or flowering tree.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Flashy finish - flashy tree :)

You will need to have a very visually arresting tree to balance a pot with this finish, otherwise the pot will distract instead of compliment. Something flowering with a heavy trunk - like a gnarled bougainvillea or perhaps an azalea?

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
How do you think it would look with an White Flowering Ume, with some dead wood showing? Thank you for the replys.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You could fix the pot by taking off the shiny aspect of the glaze... I can post an write up on how to do that... you can increase the possibilities of what you can plant it in if you do. Pots like those are awesome, especially when you take off the shiny glaze. Eric does it to pots all the time... works like a charm. He did a demo on the process and did a half pot glazed/deglazed so they could appreciate the difference... people were very suprised, and intrigued that something so simple could so drastically increase the beauty of the pot.

Kindest regards,

Victrinia

noissee

Mame
Reaction score
I think these pots are breathtaking. I don't think you should change a thing. I would display them in my home until the right tree came along. Even if you don't find a tree for them, they are still works of art that can be appreciated.

shohin kid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You could fix the pot by taking off the shiny aspect of the glaze... I can post an write up on how to do that... you can increase the possibilities of what you can plant it in if you do. Pots like those are awesome, especially when you take off the shiny glaze. Eric does it to pots all the time... works like a charm. He did a demo on the process and did a half pot glazed/deglazed so they could appreciate the difference... people were very suprised, and intrigued that something so simple could so drastically increase the beauty of the pot.

Kindest regards,

Victrinia

If they were mine I would give what Victrinia try. Otherwise they are not really my style.

Reaction score
USDA Zone

Kindest regards,

Victrinia

I am curious Victrina. My guess is either through the use of a caustic dip of some sort or by sand blasting. IMHO, I wouldn't do anything this drastic for this particular pot. I would probably keep it until the right tree came along too...

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I am curious Victrina. My guess is either through the use of a caustic dip of some sort or by sand blasting. IMHO, I wouldn't do anything this drastic for this particular pot. I would probably keep it until the right tree came along too...
... acid etching compound like used for glass.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score

Kindest regards,

Victrinia

hmm I'd be curious to see some pictures if you had any? Thanks

Boondock

Shohin
Reaction score
very interesting idea, maybe like starting with wet/dry sandpaper in the neighborhood of 1000 grit, and working down to 800, 600... till you get the results you like.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Glass etching cream..... You can get it at any Micheals.... There is a way to do it right... don't do it on a nice pot without practicing on something cheap... Eric is very good at it, but the first time you do it, it'll likely not be even, and you'll have to do it twice....

Here's an example.... so you can see what a difference taking down the high shine can do... especially to pots like these with great drippy glazes...

V

Attachments

• glazedpot.jpg
    glazedpot.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 60
  • fini.jpg
    fini.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 60

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why?

Why on earth would you etch this glaze? You probably paid EXTRA for it. The pots on this Tokoname page aren't cheap.
http://www.tokoname.or.jp/bonsai/ycatalog/y073b.jpg

Namako glazes aren't really flashy. They're meant to be interpretive. You have to "look inside" the glaze for something beyond surface appearance. The pot on the left definitely isn't all that flashy. Another look reveals a field of grass in the glaze. The second with its hints of yellow is a field of iris...They also mellow with age, just as any other glazed pots does.

Both pots could support older deciduous trees, the first would work with non-flowering varieties. The second with flowering trees--especially a tree with white flowers, ume would work wonderfully. Quince too, but not so much in the second...

Last edited:

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Victrinia,

That's a cool technique. I don't think it is necessary for these pots though. Thanks for sharing.

shohin kid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think the pot you showed as an example victrinia was much improved.

The pots in question are a little to flashy in my opinion. Bonsai means tree in pot. Pots have to harmonize with the tree, and trees have to harmonize with the pots. I would have to see a tree in one to completely make a decision. If I was given one of these pots I would not do the etching technique. It would be like adding paint to a Picasso painting to make it look better. I could see myself using this on cheap pots, but never a tokoname pot. Thanks victrinia for sharing the technique though, I learned something new.

Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Glass etching cream..... You can get it at any Micheals.... There is a way to do it right... don't do it on a nice pot without practicing on something cheap... Eric is very good at it, but the first time you do it, it'll likely not be even, and you'll have to do it twice....

Here's an example.... so you can see what a difference taking down the high shine can do... especially to pots like these with great drippy glazes...

V

Thank you for sharing! Opens up all kinds of possibilities I had not considered before for some of my glossy pots.

Top Bottom