Name that Pine - plus white cedar and juniper trees

Jaberwky17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
On a job site visit to a very small NW Minnesota college campus today I found some interesting trees. The campus groundskeeper has done a wonderful job of using white cedar trees (thuja occidentalis) which look just like supersized arborvitae – yes I know I live a sheltered life. There is SO much thuja used around here as shrubs that I’ve never seen a tree version before. These had really cool bark patterns and some creative use of low branches. Also examples of natural shari and jin. I could have spent hours just wandering around looking at the trees. I might actually try to grow an arborvitae in this shape, more for a decorative tree and less “bonsai”.

They had a single tree which was so cool to see an entire 40’ tall tree with a full crown of tiny shimpaku-looking juniper foliage. I assume this must be an Eastern Juniper (juniperus virginiana)?

Finally, in addition to lots of scots and spruce, there was a 2 needle pine that was different than the others. Its needle groupings were very close together and needle length was the same as the scots - about 2-3" long. Bark is flaky and reddish. I'm guessing Red Pine due to the needles, spacing, and bark color.

Attachments

• thuja-branch-shari-sm.jpg
    thuja-branch-shari-sm.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 40
  • thuja-base1-sm.jpg
    thuja-base1-sm.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 41
  • thuja-bark-sm.jpg
    thuja-bark-sm.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 39
  • thuja-group2-sm.jpg
    thuja-group2-sm.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

Jaberwky17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Juniper

Juniper images

Attachments

• juniper-sm.jpg
    juniper-sm.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 20
  • juniper-needles1-sm.jpg
    juniper-needles1-sm.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 17
  • juniper-needles2-sm.jpg
    juniper-needles2-sm.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 20

Jaberwky17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Mystery Pine images

Mystery pine images

Attachments

• pine-needles-sm.jpg
    pine-needles-sm.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 32
  • pine-trunk-sm.jpg
    pine-trunk-sm.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 33
  • pine-bark-sm.jpg
    pine-bark-sm.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 31

Jaberwky17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Looks like a scotts to me.

Could be a norway pine too, but im leaning towards scotts.

Unless it's a strange variety or simply a single tree that is growing funny, I don't think so. It was growing right next to what I'd call a true Scots pine and they didn't really look anything alike. Especially the bark.

Top Bottom