Name that tree

John Hill

Mame
Reaction score
These are a couple trees I collected back in 2006. I was told they were eastern ceders but after thinking about I am starting to have doubts. They foliage looks just like that of Juniperus virginiana L.
What do you all think it may be.
Better pics to come.

A Friend in bonsai
John

Attachments

• curb_juniper.jpg
    curb_juniper.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 108
  • EasternRedCedarCone.jpg
    EasternRedCedarCone.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 95

Kirk

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
These are a couple trees I collected back in 2006. I was told they were eastern ceders but after thinking about I am starting to have doubts. They foliage looks just like that of Juniperus virginiana L.
What do you all think it may be.
Better pics to come.

A Friend in bonsai
John

Hi John,

Were they collected in Ohio? Did it come out of an older landscaped area? It looks like an old landscape San Jose juniper or some other type of older J. chinensis given its shape.

Best,
Kirk

John Hill

Mame
Reaction score
After further ado I believe it is a cypress. It would just be nice to know for sure.

A Friend in bonsai
John

Attachments

• MontereyCypress.jpg
    MontereyCypress.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

John Hill

Mame
Reaction score
Hi John,

Were they collected in Ohio? Did it come out of an older landscaped area? It looks like an old landscape San Jose juniper or some other type of older J. chinensis given its shape.

Best,
Kirk

Yes it did come from a hundred year old or so farm house. Their were five or six of them but I got their to late and only the 2 were left.
Thanks Kirk.

A Friend in bonsai
John

Last edited:

cascade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
John,

the smell of the Virgiana wood is very distinctive and red in color (hence they call it "red eastern cedar").

The mature growth is rather fine to the touch (upright growth) whereas the immature growth seems very prickly. The Virginiana also changes colors during the season, even here in South Florida.. Lighter green in the Summer, dark green to very dark in the Winter.

Nice tree you found!

Best,
dorothy

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's a juniper, possibly an ERC, but definitely NOT a cypress (bald, or otherwise)

Top Bottom