Name that tree

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hi all, Collected this tree in the spring. Wasn't sure what it was but had nice bark and close internode spacing. Well, being full of myself I thought I would have no problem identifying it ...wrong! I originally thought it was a persimmon but the roots aren't black and the bark is slightly different. So after searches on the net and referencing my Robert's manual, I decided to come to this intrepid bunch to see if they can figure out what it is exactly.

Attachments

• jsw_p1060130.jpg
    jsw_p1060130.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 222
  • jsw_p1060131.jpg
    jsw_p1060131.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 192
  • jsw_p1060132.jpg
    jsw_p1060132.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 174

tom tynan

Mame
Reaction score
Tom....Did this tree flower this year ? I am guessing it is some type of flowering tree; perhaps malus sp. or some type of wild plum, prunus sp.or a cherry. I am basing this on the shape of the leaf and the rather long shape? Do the yellowing leaves suggest that perhaps is susceptible to fungal problems - like most prunus? Well..there goes...I stuck my neck out....

Tom Tynan

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I am guessing it is some type of flowering tree; perhaps malus sp. or some type of wild plum, prunus sp.or a cherry. I am basing this on the shape of the leaf and the rather long shape? Do the yellowing leaves suggest that perhaps is susceptible to fungal problems - like most prunus?
Thanks for the input Tom. Nope no flowers this year. I collected it in early march. I'm with you on it being a flowering tree. I think I would rule out cherry as the bark is different, see my thread does size matter. That one pictured is a wild cherry and the bark is different. However you might be on with a malus or prunus. The yellowing leafs are that color when they open from bud. The color in person is really bronze. They should be totally green in another week.

tom tynan

Mame
Reaction score
Tom...OK..now I am thinking some type of pear; the scale of the bark etc. makes me think that. The bark has a wonderful quality. It may not have flowered this year because of collection, stress, or because it failed to set buds in the fall of last year. Let me know what you find out...

Regards

Tom Tynan

Jay Wilson

Shohin
Reaction score
Tom,
Did you ever identify this tree? Love the bark.
How is it coming along?

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hi Jay, The best I can figure is its some sort of wild Malus. We have found similar trees here in Pa along the creek and river banks.

It has come along very nicely over the past year. Branching pretty much in all the right places and thickening nicely. These branches seem to be out pacing the leader which is encouraging for bonsai culture as well. I'd snap picture for ya but its buried under a couple of bales of hey here in the arctic tundra.

Jay Wilson

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks, Tom
I forget about things folks need to do to their trees in winter.

elroy

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Doesn't the hay insulation attract every rabbit in the neighborhood?

Elroy

Hi Jay, The best I can figure is its some sort of wild Malus. We have found similar trees here in Pa along the creek and river banks.

It has come along very nicely over the past year. Branching pretty much in all the right places and thickening nicely. These branches seem to be out pacing the leader which is encouraging for bonsai culture as well. I'd snap picture for ya but its buried under a couple of bales of hey here in the arctic tundra.

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Doesn't the hay insulation attract every rabbit in the neighborhood?
Elroy

Why yes it does Elroy, thats how we feed this brute:D Scooby is an effective deterrent shall we say.

Attachments

• jsw_p1060999.jpg
    jsw_p1060999.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 52

onthefringe

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just saw this thread and wondered, do you know how to identify Cornus species? I ask because thats what I thought it was when I saw the bark. I know when just about any given cornus is in leaf if you pull the leaf apart perpendicular to the midrib (pull slowly) you should see white stringy hairs pulling from the torn peices.

If I had to make a shot in the dark I'm guessing Cornus mas (cornelion cherry) maybe.

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I know when just about any given cornus is in leaf if you pull the leaf apart perpendicular to the midrib (pull slowly) you should see white stringy hairs pulling from the torn peices.
If I had to make a shot in the dark I'm guessing Cornus mas (cornelion cherry) maybe.

I truly wish I could put your method to the test now. I will have to wait till spring to see if that proves out.

EDIT: OK, you got me curious. I wanted to see if your guess might put an end to this quest. I googled up cornelian/cornelion cherry and ran across this image from Walter's blog. The bark on Walters tree is not similar. I also found this image of the leaves which are more lobed showing more of its dogwood characteristics.

I appreciate you giving it a shot, was worth a look

Last edited:

skunkyjoe

Seed
Reaction score
Maybe...

its a Black Cherry ( Prunus Serotina ) ?

Top Bottom